Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been on the hunt for 18" tires for the past month or so, posted a few questions here and there. Read lots in this section too. Came down to two main contenders: Toyo Proxes4 and Falken Ziex 512.

However, whoever I called up locally to get prices, either didn't stock the Falken's or, if they did, did not recommend the tire. Tire wear on the Falkens is just ridiculous... and this seems to be the opinion accross the board. The Toyos, on the other hand, are in stock just about everywhere and are quite pricey. No deals to be had on that tire at all.

So, I was at a local retailer today (they actually own and run 1010tires.com on the side) and the guy behind the counter asked me to consider a General tire.

He says that General tires are actually made by Continental, and so they're a German make, and therefore good quality. They're cheaper than the Falkens but only if I choose 225-40-18 or 235-40-18.

I checked out the data on the tire in question, General Exclaim UHP, on 1010tires.com ( http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...del=Exclaim+UHP ) and the performance numbers are very similar to the Falkens. The snow handling is slightly lower on the General's, but that's ok, I'm in Vancouver. The wear numbers, however, are far better.

A few questions arise from this that I'd like to present to the audience:

1. Anyone using General on their 6?
2. Anyone using 225 or 235 size tires on 18" on their 6?

The recommended tire width for 18" is 215. What sort of issues can potentially arise from a tire that's 10 or 20 mm's wider?

TIA

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
He says that General tires are actually made by Continental, and so they're a German make, and therefore good quality.

[/b]
General is a division of Continental. Continental's headquarters are in Germany. I would be surprised, but not shocked, if the General tire in question was made in Germany; I would expect it to be made in the United States.

I question the "therefore good qualiy" conclusion of the "made in Germany" assumption. Many German products are of very high quality; some are not.

If you want a German-made tire that is a very high quality tire, and one that is especially well-suited to the wet and 5 to 10 degree C. road conditions frequently encountered midway between Burnaby and Surrey, you might want to look into the Dunlop SP Sport 01 in the 235/40-18 size. (I ran SP Sport 01 tires on a Nissan Maxima, which has a less sophisticated suspension than the Mazda6 and puts correspondingly higher demands on the tires, through a couple of Pacific Northwest winters, and they were superb.)

Paralleling the advice you received from the dealer, I should add, "Dunlop is a division of Goodyear, and so it is an American brand, but no necessary implication of either good quality or poor quality follows from that observation." (But the SP Sport 01 Dunlop is made in Germany.)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
zoomzoom, I've been running the Generals for almost 3 months now. I sent you a pm.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I'm using General Exclaim UHP 225/45R17 on the sedan . Very happy with the performance especially in wet weather. O yea, the tire is made in France.

Regarding 18" tires, I'm using 225/40R18 on the wagon. Please check the sticky for the recommended size. I'm using this size because my wheels width is 7.5".

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks posttosh and Jax6s. Good info.

Skoda, I read your PM and replied :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wouldn't do with Falken's... I had Falken's on my alero and they were gone in 20k miles, and they were rated for 50k. Luckily I was pro-rated for another set so I still got my money out of them...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts