Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
DO YOU SEE IT?
When I saw the Mazda 3 TCR I literally saw a "Vision" of what the Next Gen 6 could ACTUALLY look like! So, I ask you all...Can you see it?

(Photo manip by yours truly)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well...the 2019 TMS was a BUST! Here's to hoping the North American (New York) International Auto Show (April 10–19, 2020) will give us what we desire...the NEXT 6, or maybe the all-new Mazda 9!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea, I'm saying its not a "news" site, or reputable like MT or C&D. If you search with the title from your link, you get a lot of "rumor sites" and no real articles. Hence, fake news. There's even a Lexus site that claims Toyota and Lexus will use that platform, which I'm guessing is pure drivel too. I too wish it would happen, cause an online will be more powerful than a V any day of the week, but i highly doubt it.
Well Mazda already builds the Toyota Yaris, so Mazda and Toyota already have a partnership. BMW builds most of the Supra, so why wouldn't they be willing to use the new rwd Mazda platform if Mazda is willing to share.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Well Mazda already builds the Toyota Yaris, so Mazda and Toyota already have a partnership. BMW builds most of the Supra, so why wouldn't they be willing to use the new rwd Mazda platform if Mazda is willing to share.
They dont "build" the Yaris, its a 1st gen 3 (smaller than current 3, but bigger than a 2) with Toyo badge on it, i know, ive got one as a rental. EVERYTHING is Mazda.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not that it contributes anything to the conversation, but the 2015 NA Scion iA / Yaris iA / Yaris sedan in NA is definitely a Mazda 2 and not a previous gen 3. And it is built by Mazda for Toyota in Mexico - they roll off the same assembly line.

The Yaris interior is identical in structure to the CX-3, which is also based off the 2, although the CX-3 is currently built in japan.

·
Registered
730 Posts
<face palm> its common knowledge/science that the more cylinders you have inline, the smoother, more torque and easier to tune it is. When was the last time you ever saw a BMW with a V6?
Didn't see this previously...

Hey I didn't say I prefer a V6... but all things being equal a V6 will typically be able to rev higher due to an inherently more rev capable (shorter, higher torsional natural frequency) crank. Also the V6 is more thermally efficient and often they are more economical with fuel as a result. A 60 degree V6 (better than a plain-crank 90 degree V6) still needs some form of balance shaft (offsetting fuel economy gains a bit) and the L6 will sound nicer and will be smoother... But more easy to tune.... where did you get that? Mebe more folks with BMW's (L6's) do have tunes... but I have not heard of L6's being easier to tune. The only 2 V6's I like are the Alfa V6... SOHC 2.5 and 3.0 litre and the Nissan V6... at least by way of sound. Alfa V6 is not great by way of reliability with its wet sleeve cylinder design. Guess that's why many of my vehicles are Japanese hehe.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Not that it contributes anything to the conversation, but the 2015 NA Scion iA / Yaris iA / Yaris sedan in NA is definitely a Mazda 2 and not a previous gen 3. And it is built by Mazda for Toyota in Mexico - they roll off the same assembly line.

The Yaris interior is identical in structure to the CX-3, which is also based off the 2, although the CX-3 is currently built in japan.
Dude, im driving an '18 currently, its bigger than a 2 (was next to one today), looks nothing like the 2 and EVERYTHING is Mazda inside down to the floor mats with iA in them, but space enough on the little text pad for MAZDA, they literally put a Toyo logo in place of any M. Im saying the size is comparable to the early 3's, but smaller than the CX-3 (which ive sat in). I dont understand why Mazda doesnt call it the 3, the 3 a 4 since its like the old 6 size wise and have a true small car in the line-up.

Didn't see this previously...

Hey I didn't say I prefer a V6... but all things being equal a V6 will typically be able to rev higher due to an inherently more rev capable (shorter, higher torsion natural frequency) crank. Also the V6 is more thermally efficient and often they are more economical with fuel as a result. A 60 degree V6 (better than a plain-crank 90 degree V6) still needs some form of balance shaft (offsetting fuel economy gains a bit) and the L6 will sound nicer and will be smoother... But more easy to tune.... where did you get that? Mebe more folks with BMW's (L6's) do have tunes... but I have not heard of L6's being easier to tune. The only 2 V6's I like are the Alfa V6... SOHC 2.5 and 3.0 litre and the Nissan V6... at least by way of sound. Alfa V6 is not great by way of reliability with its wet sleeve cylinder design. Guess that's why many of my vehicles are Japanese hehe.
Didnt say you preferred a V6, but youre still wrong. An L6 will take more abuse, make more power and be easier to tune than any V6. It doesnt have to spin fast, but they can.

Also, on the topic, Mazda isnt going to take any glory from the MX5 to have a RWD full size sedan.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Didnt say you preferred a V6, but youre still wrong. An L6 will take more abuse, make more power and be easier to tune than any V6. It doesnt have to spin fast, but they can.
Well, can you please give me some objective reasons, some engineering facts here, on why you say so? By way of torque, one of the factors is the stroke, another is the rod-ratio... Both engines are even-firing (one cylinder every 120 degrees... Why is one tougher than the other?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Well, can you please give me some objective reasons, some engineering facts here, on why you say so? By way of torque, one of the factors is the stroke, another is the rod-ratio... Both engines are even-firing (one cylinder every 120 degrees... Why is one tougher than the other?
I forgot say itll be smoother too. Like i said in the first post, its a long known fact, im sure you could find particular and specific info, but heres a couple vids:
A bit wordy, but theres info in there
History of the most famous and longest running inline 6, the Slant 6 (little long winded):
Cummins makes more tq per cu in than any V8 diesel, Jeeps 4.0 lasted forever. Then youve got the RB26, 2JZ, pre 300 Z's had inline 6's, BMW doesnt even make a V6 like i said before.
I highly disagree with this page saying I6's are more expensive since theres fewer parts etc, but w/e https://www.automoblog.net/2016/08/11/inline-six-versus-v6-engines-pros-cons-infographic/
The bottom line is, and i think i said it, the more cylinders inline you have, the more tq you make and the smoother itll run.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Both articles are interesting. I particularly liked the article on the slant-six... originally 170 cu in. i.e. barely 2.8 litres by way of size. I didn't know that it had been slated, originally, for an aluminum head (but that never came to fruition). I also didn't know that as originally conceived it was an oversquare engine. I liked the detail that Uncle Tony provided about how to build the best one... which included using a later model cast, non forged, crank... and a certain era of block... the later ones were lightened but not effectively any weaker than the original heavier ones. Chrysler engine engineers, in that era, oh, the late 50's, were a pretty talented bunch. Later, when the bean-counters impacted matters, they stroked the engine to 198 c.i., and then 225 c.i.... actually, to its detriment in terms of performance.

Though Uncle Tony is a bit hard to listen to - he effectively did talk about rod-ratios and cross-flow intake/exhaust configurations. Very cool.

The Engineering Explained video talked how Benz was innovative re the 4 versus 6 cylinders in-line, and how they packaged the longer 6 cylinder into a smaller space, with bore size reductions, a combination Alternator Starter along with hybrid system that, apparently, got rid of the acc. drives at the front and the torque converter at the rear. He spoke of a pancake packaged unit - the Starter-Alternator unit.

I have to say that I still did not hear much about the superiority by way of power and toughness of the L6.... even though, for me, it HAS TO BE an L6 from the smoothness perspective, lack of balance shafts, sound perspectives.

Thanks for the info! Great "listens".

Cheers -

·
Registered
512 Posts
Dude, im driving an '18 currently, its bigger than a 2 (was next to one today), looks nothing like the 2 and EVERYTHING is Mazda inside down to the floor mats with iA in them, but space enough on the little text pad for MAZDA, they literally put a Toyo logo in place of any M. Im saying the size is comparable to the early 3's, but smaller than the CX-3 (which ive sat in). I dont understand why Mazda doesnt call it the 3, the 3 a 4 since its like the old 6 size wise and have a true small car in the line-up.
I learned recently that Mazda's US Yaris is available in Puerto Rico as a true Mazda2. What a world!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Though I prefer an inline 6 i can't fathom why it'd be any more powerful than a v6 other than the lack of balance shafts. That said and all else being equal it is likely the v6 will rev higher (shorter crank, higher torsional crank resonance frequency than the long crank L6).
Well, BMW has figured out a way to make it's S54 engine rev to 8000RPM... Don't know how they did it. Since an inline 6 has a long crank that also inhibits it's ability to spin freely from low engine speeds; but again, not BMW's. My N52 engine pulled hard from idle for merely a 3L engine.

IE. V6 VS. I6, both will make similar levels of power, but the straight 6's power delivery is unsurpassed in the world of uncharacteristic V6's sharing commonality with one another and greatly lacking any sort of personality. An inline 6 is such a pleasure to operate in the sense that it is imperceptibly smooth especially from lower RPM's and makes a rather exotic sound. The mid range tends to sound like a ripping chainsaw, except very smooth. It's such a special experience. :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Was driving yesterday next to an M2 with a 6mt. The guy knew how to drive... and it sounded very sweet going up the gears😊 . I'd love to have one (but for the extremely high parts costs for M series cars). To me the 3 series looks more aesthetically present tho.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts