Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I didn't see if you mentioned, but have you done the EGR mod? If not your results are the same thing that was seen back in the day and the reason for the EGR mod's existence. If not search for it and perform it, your fuel trims will get closer between the front & rear.

Reactions: Final Impact

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
As for the EGR, I don't think so as the trims are off even after ECM reset and when EGR is inactive. Post #8 up there show EGR active at cruise. That's why I was looking for V6 results from the 05, 06, 07 and 08 Gang. Just to compare!

Options; I turn off all the BS and turn on only what I want and set the interval to 0.1 sec. I really don't care bout the GPS sh$t. Just wasting bandwidth.
You missed my point about the EGR and what the purpose of the EGR mod is. The reason bank 1 (cyl 1-3, firewall side) is drastically different than bank 2 (cyl 4-6, front of car) is because the egr tube protrudes into the intake manifold blocking airflow headed to the rear bank, which results in the fuel trims being so different (~5-7%). It is also why you see that the trims are different whether the egr is active or not because it is physically restricting airflow to the rear bank in the intake manifold.

Check out this thread for how to perform the EGR mod. Once completed the trims will be much closer, if not almost the same as each other.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There used to be logs on this site regarding fuel trims pre and post EGR mod. They showed that the mod brought the difference from 5-7% down to 1-2% at the most. I think they may have been links from the old Mazda6tech site which is long dead and most of the information from there is dead along with it now.

The EGR is releasing the same amount of gasses regardless of the small hole or large hole. It is a metered action by the computer. There are no negative side effects to this mod and the benefits is more even fueling between banks, particularly the rear bank running leaner than the front.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've got some pictures of the end from mine when I did the plugs I'll post up. Its not carbon. Its a stamped tube with a fixed orifice and deff Not carbon. The thing was clean on the outside at 80,000 miles as was the intake.
But still looking for the other logs as is or mod'd egr.

tks

I've got an 07 that I've owned from 0 miles and it's had the EGR mod done since about 1500 miles on the clock, now at almost 53k. The EGR doesn't magically put any more recirculated gases back into the intake than it did before the tube was cut back, like I said it's controlled by the ECU. It doesn't matter if the hole is 1/16" or 6", the same amount of gasses are sent back through it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've only got a scangauge II which does real time monitoring but no logging. I think you are over analyzing the effects of cutting the tube back, there is plenty of velocity happening in your intake.

I wish I could find the old threads with the logging and proof that was done by I think 84fordman, but most of that stuff appears to be lost in the abyss of host changes and other stuff 6club has gone through over the years. Regardless you are definitely over thinking this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.