Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a 96 cavalier with 90k miles on it using 5w30 dino and my 4 week old 2006 6i with 5w20. I can barely read the dipstick. Its like the oil is water or something. I cannot see dark oil on the dipstick, just a water-looking wet surface on the dipstick. Is this normal?

Just for clarification, I let my car sit about 30min after i drove home from work. I took the dipstick out read it, wiped it completely dry, put it back in and read it again. Both times i could only see the golden oil in a drop form on the bottom of the dipstick, but on the actual indicator section between full and low of the dipstick, it only looked wet like water.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
keep in mind that the 5w20 is an engineered lubricant, when new the oil is almost clear.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
keep in mind that the 5w20 is an engineered lubricant, when new the oil is almost clear.
[/b]
Yeah, the oil was just changed at the 900 mile mark last friday so its very new. So when reading the dipstick, the "wet" looking area is the reading for the oil?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
your best bet for checking the oil is to remove the dipstick, wipe with a clean cloth, reinsert, remove and check. it's kind of difficult to read because oil smears up the stick. i've had luck seeing where the oil collects on the end.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
^ Thats what he said he did...

yes... look for the "wet"spot in the full area....if its not wet...then keep looking further down. I'm assuming you're holding it horizontally when your loking at the dip stick...in which case you are doing it right....

A trick I like doing is this....wiping the dip stick with a paper towel (after the second insert) about a 1/2 inch above the full line all the way to the handle (keeping it horizontally)....then using a fresh DRY piece of the paper towel...travel down (to the low oil side) and look to see when the oil starts clining to the paper towel...It will suddenly grap on the paper towel...then you know where your at.

For a clearer indication...drive 3k miles/kms first then check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
badtlc
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing