Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Mazda 6 GT. only 1000 km. Under normal driving conditions about a 3" square area around the gear selector gets hot. Not hot enough to melt plastic but very noticeably hot. Any ideas? Normal? Anyone else have this problem? Figured I might get a better idea here than calling the dealership right away.

·
Registered
232 Posts
2006 Mazda 6 GT. only 1000 km. Under normal driving conditions about a 3" square area around the gear selector gets hot. Not hot enough to melt plastic but very noticeably hot. Any ideas? Normal? Anyone else have this problem? Figured I might get a better idea here than calling the dealership right away.
[/b]
this wouldn't be, by any chance, at night when the lights are on...which get a bit toasty...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this wouldn't be, by any chance, at night when the lights are on...which get a bit toasty...
[/b]

Nope, even during the day. Regardless I don't feel any of the dash areas with lights getting this hot. Checked the tranny fluid to make sure it was full and clean too...everything is fine there.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ya mine is like that to... I guess it's technically normal...

·
Registered
599 Posts
[/b]

It's the lighting...
(mine too)

·
Registered
947 Posts
How many miles/kms on your cars. Hasn't gotten worse or better? Hasn't created a problem?
[/b]
About 12k(miles)... No known problems...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Nope, even during the day. Regardless I don't feel any of the dash areas with lights getting this hot. Checked the tranny fluid to make sure it was full and clean too...everything is fine there. [/b]
The reason why the other dash lights don't get hot is because they have LED's. The reason why the gearshift has regular bulbs is because there's only one bulb, under the D, and it has a reflective housing so that PRN also light up. Ever notice that D is the brightest?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I also have the same prob. with my 03 mazda6, its always been like that. i would touch it n burn my finger. But i never got it checked out or mentioned it, figured its been like this for almost 4 years now and it hasnt caused any problems that it was normal. Can mazda do anything about it though?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
You could yourself do something and just build your own LED circuit board :D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts