Mazda 6 Forums banner

GB: Official Pulse Plug GB Thread

96K views 1K replies 127 participants last post by  momom6 
#1 ·
MARCH 2, 2008 @ 11:59PM EASTERN TIME

Thanks guys for your patience. Your cooperation is needed for what info i requested be sent with your payment to make this work smoother. so help me out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRODUCT LINKS FOR REVIEW:(directly from the manufacturer)

-how they work: http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtheywork.html

-test results: http://www.pulstarplug.com/testresults.html

-horsepower: http://www.pulstarplug.com/horsepower.html

-torque: http://www.pulstarplug.com/torque.html

-fuel mileage: http://www.pulstarplug.com/fueleconomy.html

-FAQ: http://www.pulstarplug.com/faq.html

MY PERSONAL REVIEW OF THE PRODUCT AFTER INSTALL:

INITIAL INSTALL:

took me 33mins while bullshitting with my homegirl showing her how to remove decals from her car.

PULSTAR provides you with the Dielectric grease to put on the end of the plug, not a big deal. it comes in a cool box holder thingy, lol

anyway, everything went smooth. ran into no problems.

FIRST START:

the car started extra fast. if anyone is familar with the new grand prix's like how fast they start. i mean i was instant. but anyway.......

the idle bounced up and down for about 30-40secs. then finally leveled out. ran the ac and heat so it could learn the fuel trims and such.

FIRST DRIVE:

no sputtering at all on part throttle. seemed very healthy. part throttle accelaration seemed stronger than before and much more responsive. still very good idle. no bouncing after the initial start up.

first try at WOT she did studder at 3300rpms or so for a split second then continued to climb normally. that was in first gear. hasnt happened since. i blame that on trying to get on her too soon before she relearned the new spark nature. so i continued my drive.

WOT in 1st gear from about 2-4mph. the wheels broke loose repeatedly below 3500rpms........that like 1k lower than usual 4500+ when the VVT kicks in. so i know for a fact more TQ is there in the low end.

WOT in 2nd gear pulls harder to. i did a roll from 30mph to the top of 2nd gear..........got there .3 to .4 secs faster. i timed it. may not sound like much but it is

IE- take a 0-60 time of 6 secs flat. that now turns into 5.7-5.8.

WOT from 1st gear to top of 3rd........definately seems to get there faster than befpore...but thats not the biggest thing i noticed. the car sounds totally different in the upper RPMS. before it almost felt like i was hurting the car to go that high. yea it was still strong up top, but now it sound like thats where it belongs, if u get whatt im saying(its hard to explain it).

HIGH GEAR, LOW SPEED(high load):

4th and 5th gear at about 40-50mph used to seem like a struggle. still takes a minute to get going but........the sound changed as well. not sure why. it does pull smoother. probably a lil quicker to get the RPMs up, but i did not clock those runs.

DECELARATION:

quieter while engine braking.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

although a dyno would definatly show more info than needed. i just did want to spend that dough on that. overall i definatly think it improved IDLE QUALITY, ACCELARATION, ACCELARATION SMOOTHNESS, and overall helped slightly in drivability.

from what i feel these plugs added gains similar to putting a CAI on the 6. like if our 6 came with whatever power im putting out currently. and then i added a CAI. thats basically what this feels like. with the added benefits of a smoother idle and overall smoothness in the upper RPMs, as well as a lot of low end torque that wasnt there prior.

PULSTAR PULSE PLUGS: $169 shipped

CAI for the 6(common ones): $250-550

if my butt dyno is calibrated right. i can say that installing these on my car added about the same HP and TQ that a CAI (not the CPE MAFCI) would add. whats that 10hp, 10tq +/-

again i did not dyno. but what i feel and noticed different in my car. makes me beleive my purchase was justified.

Now as for Gas mileage...we will see. and i will keep you posted on longevity, durability and such. i hope this helps if anyone was looking to get them.

THOSE INTERESTED POST YOUR ENGINE TYPE AND THAT YOU WANT THESE PLUGS AND I WILL KEEP THE LIST UPDATE IN THIS FIRST POST AREA! THANKS!

*****GOES FOR ALL THE SPEED OWNERS AS WELL, SPEED3, SPEED6. I HAVE VERIFIED WITH PULSTAR THAT THE PLUGS FOR THE SPEED MOTORS ARE THE NEW REVISED ONES. SO IF INTERESTED, SIGN RIGHT UP!*****

CURRENT LIST:

1. zoomzoom43- V6
2. case- V6 (PAID)
3. radneo- I4(2 sets) (PAID)
4. bartr6- V6 (PAID)
5. brandini- I4 (PAID)
6. iluv2zmzm- V6 (PAID)
7. highspeed6- V6 (pending 4th tier pricing)
8. achow87- V6
9. z-man- V6 (PAID)
10.rage- V6/I4 (colorblind from mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
11.xshellshock- V6 (PAID)
12.business- I4 (PAID)
13.ICE- V6 (PAID)
14.Koi- I4 (from the 3 Forums) (PAID)
15.mazda junky 6s- V6 (PAID)
16.rainmens- I4
17.nolimit6- I4 (pending 4th tier pricing)
18.jmich919- V6 (PAID)
19.ryz- I4 (Speed3)(from the mazda 3 forums)(pending tier 4 pricing)
20.kaiboy808- V6 (PAID)
21.jsmazda6- V6 (PAID)
22.jmhinkle- Speed6 (PAID)
23.ryukensfj - I4 (mazda 3 forums)
24.m6down- I4 (PAID)
25.dulayjonny- V6
26.pruzink- I4 (PAID)
27.mazda6007- I4 (PAID)
28.confuc1ous- Speed6 (4th tier pricing)
29.sbmonkey- I4 (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
30.t_flare- I4 (PAID)
31.leadbedr- V6 (PAID)
32.dallas8338- Speed6
33.jwkesler- V6 (PAID)
34.juelz8302- V6 (PAID)
35.lumi- I4 (PAID)
36.natiman- V6
37.sexy6s- V6
38.m6invan- I4 (2 sets, bobbinka) (PAID)
39.darinmazda6s- V6 (PAID)
40.bigbaddad- V6 (PAID)
41.theshockwave- V6 (PAID)
42.soranezumi- I4 (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
43.doughboyr6- I4 (mazda 3 forums)(kenyork, I4)(ghostdog, I4) (PAID)
44.Screwdriver531- I4 (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
45.mazdaracer83- SPeed (PAID)
46.toybiz- Speed (PAID)
47.fichstix- speed/saab 95(V6 BE1) (PAID)
48.usaf 6s- V6 (PAID)
49.twowheelin- I4 (PAID)
50.metal4all6- V6
51.drink&2step- I4 (4th tier pending)
52.xxsirjoexx- V6 (PAID)
53.EricCartman- I4 (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
54.pgarcia79-V6 (350z,DG-1) (PAID)
55.mk706- Speed (PAID)
56.fearturtle03- V6
57.02redspec-v- I4 (DG-1 type plug) (PAID)
58.mazda6.exe- V6
59.rosem32- V6 (PAID)
60.therookie- V6 (PAID)
61.btown-mazda - I4 (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
62.justin311- I4 (PAID)
63.lebult- I4 (PAID)
64.killa cam- Speed3 (mazda3 forums)
65.kodiak 3- I4 (mazda 3 forums)
66.jdm6- V6 (PAID)
67.warrenisace- I4 (mazda3 forums)
68.carclub6- V6 (PAID)
69.stevenlung- I4 (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
70.lionxl- I4 (PAID)
71.cr5sh- V6 and 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 (both AD-1) (PAID)
72.sprayer- V6 (PAID)
73.phastone- V6 (PAID)
74.wyvers- I4 (6x BE-1 plugs for BMW) (PAID)
75.talonfyre- I4 (PAID)
76.betogat- V6 (PAID)
77.macs&mazdas- V6 (PAID)
78.scrump- I4 & Plug Type BE-1 x 4 for integra (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
79.atenza28xmps- I4 & BE-1 x 4 for civic (PAID)
80.juice14- V6 (PAID)
81.kaisershake- V6 (PAID)
82.chapterthree- I4 (PAID)
83.Dquestic - I4 (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
84.kcj3495- V6 (PAID)
85.tommyboy44- I4 (PAID)
86.teck808- V6
87.mazurik- I4 (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
88.mattjackson86- I4 (mazda 3 forums)(NOIFY WHEN SHIPPING FOR ADDRESS DUE TO MOVING) (PAID)
89.flyrevs- speed (mazda 3 forums)
90.pcruz88- V6 (PAID)
91.graphitem6- I4 (PAID)
92.jakeoff33- I4 (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
93.scorpian6- I4
94.durban- SPEED (PAID)
95.rheytek- V6 (PAID)
96.shutterug2020- V6 (PAID)
97.j&l- SPEED (PAID)
98.mkfc- I4 (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
99.maz6i- I4 (PAID)
100.99yammieR1- V6 (PAID)
101.draggin731- V6 (PAID)
102.justin6s- V6 (potentialmotorsports- I4 - plug type BE-1)(lapislazuli -I4)(PAID)
103.gerryb- V6 (PAID)
104.DjLethal6- I4 (PAID)
105.hadacivicsi- I4 (mazda3 forums) (PAID)
106.Krazee -I4 (mazda 3 forums)
107.perpich08- I4 (PAID)
108.docgoku- V6 (PAID)
109.hot6onaplatter- V6 (PAID)
110.Lapisbluinhou-V6 & I4 (PAID)
111.the great ny- I4 (BE-1) (PAID)
112.gogoen89- I4 (PAID)
113.momom6- I4 (PAID)
114.kingofzoom- I4 (PAID)
115.lpony500- I4 (PAID)
116.Hurricane_sr- I4 (PAID)
117.wk03879- speed (PAID)
118.jake_62 - I4 (BE-1) (PAID)
119.Screwdriver531- I4 (mazda 3 forums) (PAID)
120.jmich919- V6 (PAID)
121.kaynor09- V6 (PAID)

TOTAL PLUGS ACCOUNTED FOR SO FAR:

588 including 4th teir pending buyers

506 plugs total without 4th tier pending buyers

TOTAL PLUGS PAID FOR:

PLUG GAPPING: the pulse plugs will come set at or around .044-.045 for a gap. That gap stated by pulstar is not to exceed that for any pulse plug.

IE- if you vehicle manufacturer states the plug gap be set at .050 or anything above .045 for that matter. you will gap the plugs no higher than .045

***if the vehicle manufacturer calls for a gap smaller than .045, for instance. the speed vehicle i believe is supposed to be .030..............that is the gap you set your pulse plugs at****

Now anyone who deals with cars on a regular basis knows that gap can be played with to get better results. if you are not car handy then leave at factory gap, so long as it doesnt exceed .045 which is the recommended limit for these plugs from the maker

ALSO.........these plugs are able to be used as a one step colder plug. For those of your going to boost after theses are in. there is no need to replace them with something else. Just gap them down to get rid of spark blow-out if any is found!

See less See more
#7 ·
DAYAM D, you are turning out to be the guru of GB's! LOL

I LOVE YOU MAN...(not in the gay-type-of-way)

LMAO[/b]

LMAO! i love you too(NO ****) bt ur still not getting my bud light! lol

I'm not quite convinced these are that much better than the Bosch's I can pick up at AutoZone for much cheaper.[/b]

i understand ur skepticism bro. i mean all i can tell you is that i felt a differance in my car. no dyno, but to me my purchase was justified. i have over 500miles on them probably closer to 1000miles and have had no issues. i not trying to convince you to buy them. just putting up a product that i believe helps our cars. of course it still your choice to buy or not, lol........im not enerpulse, lol!

well i need new plugs and i think you can throw me in on this V6 please:)[/b]
gotcha

#12 ·
speed6?

#13 ·
1. zoomzoom43- V6
2. Case- V6

Lets get this thing goin guys and get us a great deal!

#14 ·
Count me in, I have 2003 Mazda 6i, so i need 4 :)
First time buying on GB, ty.

#15 ·
speed6?[/b]
+1 on same inquiry. There was an earlier member that tested these on his MS6 with favorable results for the first few days, then apparently there was a problem with these plugs not being able to hold up the to the voltage or something like that and eventually failing. He was refunded by Pulstar and was told a revised model compatible with our ignition system was going to be released sometime in the beginning of this year. My question would be, are these the new and improved ones? :huh:

Thanks for the GB!

#17 ·
speed6?[/b]

+1 on same inquiry. There was an earlier member that tested these on his MS6 with favorable results for the first few days, then apparently there was a problem with these plugs not being able to hold up the to the voltage or something like that and eventually failing. He was refunded by Pulstar and was told a revised model compatible with our ignition system was going to be released sometime in the beginning of this year. My question would be, are these the new and improved ones? :huh:

Thanks for the GB![/b]

i will be calling first thing this morning when they open. to see if the speed plug are indeed the new ones.

i myself remmber the member on here that tried them. not sure if they ever got the new ones out.

originally this was just for the non-turbo guys. but speeds are definately welcome. any check back a lil later i should have your answer shortly.thanks for your interest guys.

also the list has been updated

#18 ·
Could the difference you felt be the fact that you removed your old worn our plugs and replaced them with new plugs? That and resetting the ECU with the new plugs could give you that feeling of renewed power.

#19 ·
I would not get these if you own a speed6. I tried them myself and the second I turned over the engine, my CEL came on. I had actually bought 2 sets of pulsar plugs, so thinking that I had a defective plug I tried the other set. Same results occured. I called and spoke with the company and they think the speed6 engine is designed to change when the plugs fire, not giving enough time for the plugs to reach their "full charge". I will say that they were easy to deal with and did offer me a full refund (minus the shipping) without hassle. These may work for a NA enginge, but if you own a speed I would strongly suggest searching this forum for the other threads about these plugs before joining this group buy.

#21 ·
Could the difference you felt be the fact that you removed your old worn our plugs and replaced them with new plugs? That and resetting the ECU with the new plugs could give you that feeling of renewed power.[/b]
well my plugs werent worn at all. my plugs were in good condition. i mean i know what my car feels like when i reset the ecu. and also i have reset my ecu 3-4 times on the pold plugs within 2-3 months and they never felt like these. again i guess i shouldve dyno'd that way what im saying would be more relevant. but i just didnt seeing spending $150 plus the gas to drive over an hour to get to the closest dyno. but what i felt is what ifelt. not being a smartass when i say this, but if you dont want to try them then dont. they do offer a 30-day money back guarantee on them. plus you guys will be getting them for half the price of what i paid for them since i wanted to be the guniea pig. so the decision is yours.

I would not get these if you own a speed6. I tried them myself and the second I turned over the engine, my CEL came on. I had actually bought 2 sets of pulsar plugs, so thinking that I had a defective plug I tried the other set. Same results occured. I called and spoke with the company and they think the speed6 engine is designed to change when the plugs fire, not giving enough time for the plugs to reach their "full charge". I will say that they were easy to deal with and did offer me a full refund (minus the shipping) without hassle. These may work for a NA enginge, but if you own a speed I would strongly suggest searching this forum for the other threads about these plugs before joining this group buy.[/b]
how long ago was it that you had them installed on your car?

#24 ·
The Great NY, i was looking through tons of websites about spark plugs, some recommend some not. I know you have if. My question is have you had NGK's or HKS's plugs, if yes how would you compare it to this ones. Is timing really a problem here? Ty

#25 ·
The Great NY, i was looking through tons of websites about spark plugs, some recommend some not. I know you have if. My question is have you had NGK's or HKS's plugs, if yes how would you compare it to this ones. Is timing really a problem here? Ty[/b]
FYI
HKS, Greddy, Apex-i, etc >>> ARE re-labeled NGK plugs marked up in price for the JDM name sake

NGK plugs are your best bet for most all aplications FI or NA if the proper heat range is selected and the gap setting is on target

gimmick plugs don't deliver

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.