Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this gauge pod

but not sure what gauges to get. I only real reason i got a gauge pod was so i can get a volt gauge to monitor how many volts my battery is putting out.

Anyway, im thinking of getting my volt gauge from here http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index.asp?P...&ProdID=190
whats some other gauges that I could use and should i purchase a gauge from the same site??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice one ! Where did you get it ?
I got this gauge pod

but not sure what gauges to get. I only real reason i got a gauge pod was so i can get a volt gauge to monitor how many volts my battery is putting out.

Anyway, im thinking of getting my volt gauge from here http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index.asp?P...&ProdID=190
whats some other gauges that I could use and should i purchase a gauge from the same site??
[/b]

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I'm curious to see if these would affect the airbag performance at all. I know that not all 6's come with the side air bags, but if the airbag pushes the cover off and to the side as opposed to breaking through it would using this pod be safe. I'm curious because I have the side airbags and I'd really like to get a set of these.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i don't really recommend those tinted gauges... reason being that during the day, you really can't see the gauges at all (even when lit properly). at night, they look damn good, but during the day, they suck ass... i know from experience. i got my gauges sitting in my car, but don't feel like dishing out the extra money to get nicer ones right now. make a smart move and bypass getting tinted gauges

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Actually come to think of it ; I'm not too sure about that for the Air Bags ; 'cause when I had mine off (the plastic shield) what I remember seeing was only straws that relayed to the upper felt liner (ceiling height - not pillar) where the Air Bags/Curtains deploy .

Ya I was at the dealer for a drain plug not properly connected causing a leak under there coming from the drain holes of the moon-roof . I expressed my concern to the Tech about being worried that the sensors back there (if any) could not deploy properly if they rusted .

He reassured me there was none - all there was , were those tubes that reached up towards the ceiling for Air Bag Deployment . Now to really be sure I would have to ask him if that plastic piece (the stock one) would readily jump to my face as well in an accident ; but my gut feeling is that it's not the case at all - as it would be unsafe for passenger safety regulations . All we need to do is ask the Dealer Technicians - not the Salesmen :D

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Ross you mind telling us what gauge brand you have problems with the tint ?
Any pics to show too what you mean ?[/b]
it's a little tricky to take pictures of what i am trying to tell you. but i can vouch that when you are looking at teh gauges during the day... they are 1.) dark as in they have around a 20%ish tint to them and 2.) the glare from the sun doesn't help whatsoever. the weather around my area has been rather gloomy the last few days so it's pretty dark all day. if it gets a little sunnier out, i'll try to show you what i mean.

I got the glowshift tinted series gauges... big waste of money, even though they weren't that expensive.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had to go with the center gauges due to the fact that i have airbacks on my pillars... i wasn't sure how much it would affect the airbags sensor etc.[/b]
How would i know if my airbags in my pillars?? I putting a screen in the center compartment, so i cant put the guages there.. Oh ya i have a 2003 6s and what gauges would yall recommend?/

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
How would i know if my airbags in my pillars?? I putting a screen in the center compartment, so i cant put the guages there.. Oh ya i have a 2003 6s and what gauges would yall recommend?/[/b]
the a-pillar would state on the outside that it has airbags.... you can't miss it if you have them there with the big engraving it would have

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Actually come to think of it ; I'm not too sure about that for the Air Bags ; 'cause when I had mine off (the plastic shield) what I remember seeing was only straws that relayed to the upper felt liner (ceiling height - not pillar) where the Air Bags/Curtains deploy .

Ya I was at the dealer for a drain plug not properly connected causing a leak under there coming from the drain holes of the moon-roof . I expressed my concern to the Tech about being worried that the sensors back there (if any) could not deploy properly if they rusted .

He reassured me there was none - all there was , were those tubes that reached up towards the ceiling for Air Bag Deployment . Now to really be sure I would have to ask him if that plastic piece (the stock one) would readily jump to my face as well in an accident ; but my gut feeling is that it's not the case at all - as it would be unsafe for passenger safety regulations . All we need to do is ask the Dealer Technicians - not the Salesmen :D[/b]

Interesting, I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow and find out for sure.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just recieved my guage pod from carbontrix today, but im a bit confused. I thought the gauge pod would already have the holes cut-out for the gauges like the other ones on the site....I guess i'll have to figure something out

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I'd suggest using a hole saw to cut the hole for the gauges. It's straightforward and easy to do.

I called the dealer today and they told me it's safe to put the gauges in the pillar. They just told me to keep them about 1/4 of the pillar other than that I'm good to go. So I think it's time for a 3 gauge pillar pod, hehe.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I got this gauge pod

whats some other gauges that I could use and should i purchase a gauge from the same site??[/b]
Just a thought on a possible alternative to a dedicated voltage gauge. Check this ScanGauge tool out:
http://www.scangauge.com/
RPM sells it for $159.95, a $10 discount: http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.ph...add09887c7d3bd1

It displays 4 different functions at a time (out of a possible 12, including voltage) and also checks and clears CELs and has a tripmeter/mileage calculator. Many of us are putting them in the little flip down change drawer under the dash dimmer switch with a bit of foam to hold it in place. The backlighting can be configured to 64 different colours to match your IP.

I can say it's a great little tool, and the ability to monitor multiple functions in real time eliminates the need for other gauges. It's not great for boost though (Manifold Absolute Pressure) because OBD2 has too slow a frequency so the display doesn't get updated fast enough for quickly changing functions. Extra bonus is that it can be used for any OBD compliant vehicle, so you could recover some of the cost by renting this tool to clear CELs to others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.