Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is my first vehicle that I will be tuning and modifying for performance. I am very good with engines and mechanically inclined but have little expierence with imports/turbos etc. I am looking to install the boost, AFR, and EGT gauges. I know how to isntall the boost. But I have read that with the afr and egt i might need controllers? Then i read about some tapping into thier 02 sensor for the AFR but then they get flucuating and unreliable readings. Can anyone help me hear? TIA

Jason

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
the afr gauge needs to be calibrated to the stock wideband o2 in order to get correct readings, so you shouldnt get a gauge unless you plan on switching to an aftermarket wideband. you can use a scanner to get those readings tho (i.e. autoenginuity)

same goes for EGT.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Installing EGT or AFR gauges usually requires drilling a hole into your downpipe or exhaust manifold and welding in a threaded bung to screw the sensors for those two gauges into. You should make sure your gauges either come with the sensors (they look similar to an average O2 sensor) or are meant to read off of an existing wideband O2 sensor. Either way should work fine as long as you calibrate it if it's to tap into an existing soarce. If you aren't mechanically inclined, you may want to have a shop hook these two gauges up to make sure they work right. I would (well, did) place the EGT sensor pre-turbo, in the exhaust manifold to get the most acurate reading.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Does anyone have any experience or specific info to reccomend a good AFR gauge?
I would like to try to match the stock (and my defi) gauge color - if possible.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would like to try to match the stock (and my defi) gauge color - if possible.
[/b]

Uh, did you consider the defi afr gauge?

:slap:

·
Registered
778 Posts
There is no need for an AFR if you have autoenginuity as you can get that info from the ECU. Going to a wideband won't do any good until a tuning solution comes out. As for an EGT there is always the talks of where to place it. You want it as close to the head as possible, however on turbo'd cars the exhaust runs hotter and it has been seen where the tip will break and destroy your turbo. Many people have mounted them after the turbo for this reason however, the temps are significantly lower. Usually you remove the turbo, drill a hole in the manifold, clean up the peices and then install the egt sensor. Then re-install the turbo. Depending on the manifold material that is. Cast iron you will need to drill. SS I believe you can weld the sensor in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts