Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a boost gauge installed and maybe further down a boost controller.

What gauges are people currently using?
Please provide pricing info, picture, or website to get them and advantage / disadvantage of them.

I'd like something to match with the car LED's and something that isn't to big.

I know some people put them on the A pillar far down away from the air bags etc, or near there stearing wheel, i'm not sure where I'd mount it yet but I'll figure it out.

I saw a post about Defi gauges but you have to buy something else with it, whats the advantage/disadvantage of that?

I haven't worked on cars really much at all and just know most of the basics but since I got this car I would definatly like to try to do most everything myself without going to a shop. So any install tips/info would definatly help.

Also, if i plan to get a boost controller, is there anything I should do with my gauge or get a certain one? Or is there any kind of all in one setup... I think i saw the greddy controler that you put in you car and control it from there or is that incorrect?

Any help is greatly apprieciated.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I guess I will be the first to say.....search.

There are already many threads on this

I have this one, bought from a member here. He had pics he sent me. Red LED matches pretty good, and I have it mounted between my speedo and tach, doesnt block anything

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scrip...p?idproduct=131

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have the DEFI BF Imperial gauges.

Defi is a company that makes gauges and BF is a line of their digital gauges. Defi also makes gauges that do not require the control unit you were refering to.

Here is a site that sells them...that I wish I found before as they are cheaper than what I paid :swearin:
http://www.rx7store.net/product_p/defi%20i...ost%20gauge.htm

anyway the defi quality is phenominal and with the BF gauges you can store peak values, set your own warnings, record and play back specific runs, and one cool part is the link wiring so only 1 wire comes out of the control unit and goes to the firt gauge then out of that one another wire goes to the next and so on.

As for the color it is extreemly close to the Mazda6 interior, and the aluminum ring comes close to matching ther ring on our stick gauges. There are topics on here with pics just search and you will find.

The down side of these is they are really expensive compared to other gauges.

·
Registered
851 Posts

defi d-gauge $120
They are discontinued for now. wait a couple months.

·
Registered
262 Posts

I have this one, bought from a member here. He had pics he sent me. Red LED matches pretty good, and I have it mounted between my speedo and tach, doesnt block anything
[/b]

Any pics?!?! I'm tempted to hack my cluster and get this to be in the bottom center where there are no lights etc. Cleanest look if I could get the square cut perfectly and place it behind inside the cluster..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Any pics?!?! I'm tempted to hack my cluster and get this to be in the bottom center where there are no lights etc. Cleanest look if I could get the square cut perfectly and place it behind inside the cluster..
[/b]

I'm really high on this idea... anyone able to confirm that behind the lower center front part of the gauges is void of anything behind it? I seems that's where the auto gear selector usually would go.

If I can get a confirmation that it's empty behind i'll go about cutting it up and making it look stock with that square boost..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm really high on this idea... anyone able to confirm that behind the lower center front part of the gauges is void of anything behind it? I seems that's where the auto gear selector usually would go.

If I can get a confirmation that it's empty behind i'll go about cutting it up and making it look stock with that square boost..
[/b]

That seems to be a pretty good idea, i was just thinking sticking it to the left of the stereo system somewhere. Down side seems to be where the wire comes out may limit where you want to put it but maybe not.

The digital gauge seems pretty nice looking, can't record history i guess though but I don't think I'll need that.

[/b]

Do you have a picture of it on you dash? I'd like to see it if you don't mind for size comparison.

Also, any downfalls that you would say about this? And, if I get it from the link you provided, does that come with everything I need for the install or will I have to buy something else?

Sorry for all the lame questions

·
Registered
262 Posts
That seems to be a pretty good idea, i was just thinking sticking it to the left of the stereo system somewhere. Down side seems to be where the wire comes out may limit where you want to put it but maybe not.

The digital gauge seems pretty nice looking, can't record history i guess though but I don't think I'll need that.
Do you have a picture of it on you dash? I'd like to see it if you don't mind for size comparison.

Also, any downfalls that you would say about this? And, if I get it from the link you provided, does that come with everything I need for the install or will I have to buy something else?

Sorry for all the lame questions
[/b]
Actually I'm pretty sure I'd strip it of its' housing/casing before I glue it into place flush inside the cluster. My goal will be to make it look just like the odometer. As for the cable, I'd simply drill a hole into the cluster's housing and pull it through, then encase the hole and cable in RTV silicone so it isnt a gap for dust.

Just tihnk the odometer, that would be the goal..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Actually I'm pretty sure I'd strip it of its' housing/casing before I glue it into place flush inside the cluster. My goal will be to make it look just like the odometer. As for the cable, I'd simply drill a hole into the cluster's housing and pull it through, then encase the hole and cable in RTV silicone so it isnt a gap for dust.

Just tihnk the odometer, that would be the goal..
[/b]

Anything new regarding the the gauge cluster is? I cant find any pics anywhere.. I still might try it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts