Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I introduced the idea a few hours ago in the VEI thread but here it is: (excuse the poor proportions etc, at work I only have Fireworks not photoshop which I barely know)

The only gauge that would cleanly work would be the VEI as it has no depth.
It has been mentioned on here that people would love a gauge exactly where the cobalt SS is.

Well we always have the war over whether or not the pillar would work with the airbag so here's the closest solution. The side windows can get the defrost still no problem still too. And the instal and prices would be insignificant.

Suggestions? Anyone know a plastic company? How about the mod who knows of the emblem OEM manufacturer any input?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Lotek would probably do it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I kind of like it. The key thing (of course other than air bag compatibility) is something that fits the interior. Maybe it's just me but I went from a Honda Civic to the MS6 and to toss a gauge pod in any form that looks like a cheap add-on is pointless.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
. Maybe it's just me but I went from a Honda Civic to the MS6 and to toss a gauge pod in any form that looks like a cheap add-on is pointless.
[/b]

Agreed that's why I want something that looks stock. My first mod would have been a boost gauge but there's nothing worth whiel to put it in. And all those with the universal omari pod on the column.... not clean enough for me..

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
What size gauge cavities are in that one? I have one at home, but never got around to mesuring it. I'm trying to order some nice gauges online on my break, but am not sure what size to get.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still not clean, it would drive me bonkers that the faux leather finishes dont match and the fact that the line in the dash is WAY off on the pod.

Big difference between a single pod and a triple as well..

Just email lotek BTW

·
Registered
507 Posts
Still not clean, it would drive me bonkers that the faux leather finishes dont match and the fact that the line in the dash is WAY off on the pod.
[/b]
Haha! You're just like me. :D I feel I finally have a nice car. Why make it look otherwise? I wonder if some satin finish crinkle-coat paint would closely mimic the stock look?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Mine matches pretty darn good. I think they probably tweeked a bit after hearing some complaints, cause the color and the line are right on. The texture, I will admit is very slightly off (like the difference between 40 grit and 50 grit sand paper). You really have to be looking for it though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the Omori 45mm gauge and pod. It's installed at the same location as the WRX STI. Right on the steering column. Just my taste, but I like the way it looks. The color blends in very well with stock.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I vote Hide-a-pod

Doesn't get any more stealth or factory looking.

http://www.santown.com/speed6/hideapod

Jason

***EDIT***
And it comes in 1, 2, or 3 gauge configuration and holds anything 52mm or smaller.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Is there any way to run a wire through that compartment without drilling a hole?
[/b]
Not if you want all the wires to be hidden. But if you're just running wires, the hole can be VERY VERY tiny as wires are thin.

Jason

·
Registered
364 Posts
That is the ideal spot for me!

I had my zeitronix unit in the same spot in my STi and was great...very close to direct line of sight

·
Registered
507 Posts
I might have to give it a try. For all the years I've lusted after a turbo car I finally get one and it doesn't have a boost gauge.

It almost looks like you still have a little bit of room in there to store things if need be?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since it seems the guage bezel will happen this is dead. BUT if its deemed impossible due to gauge depth issues this will be a new approach. The gauge bezel might have depth problem with the clear plastic cover since it's behing the plastic bezel right where the gauges would be.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I had typed up a huge long thing... So.. short and sweet is where its at...

1) I'll get some pics of my custom "ipod" setup... so people can see how well a good job can be... and how stock... after-market mods can really look

2) If someone makes a vent replacement that adds a guage like the OP wants... i'll jump up all over that! Great location... and if its flat-black plastic like the grill already is... it will fit in just fine...

3) I don't like the tri-pod center guage setup much.... it looks OK on a 350z.... which doesn't even have a use for it really... but not so good on mazda6... Can't explain why really I just don't like it... Plus I have Navi... so... no go anyway...

4) The hide-a-guage idea in the center might work... if done well.. but i've yet to see a really good job of it. Like a lot of responders are pointing out... Many of us consider the speed6 to be a "luxury" car compared to our other vehicles... And want to keep that feeling alive.

·
Registered
998 Posts
4) The hide-a-guage idea in the center might work... if done well.. but i've yet to see a really good job of it. Like a lot of responders are pointing out... Many of us consider the speed6 to be a "luxury" car compared to our other vehicles... And want to keep that feeling alive.
[/b]
Not sure how much more factory looking you want, but pictures don't do it justice. Just ask ownere of them, everyone's happy with the look and fit.
But to each their own.

Jason
P.S. It's not an 'idea', it's a product.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
well here we go :) i am going to have a vent made up and will take pics afterwards. it should resemble the photoshopped pic that is in this thread. if anyone would be interested in purchasing one let me know, enough feedback and i will see what i can do about getting bunch of em made up.. shoot me a pm or email me @

[email protected]

P.S. someone recommend me a guage (thinner the better i would imagine) thanks

1 - 20 of 52 Posts