Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: gauge cluster

You have two screws in the plastic frame around the gauges that holds the frame in place. Remove those, and you'll see the screws necessary to remove to take out the gagues.

When you do that I would assume there is a way to exchange the light sources to something else. There are LEDs in different colors, and lamps too. Dunno which it is in the 6, but it's probably LEDs.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Don't forget, the lights behind the cluster could very well be white, but they show red because the gauge cluster is translucent red. In this case, you would need to change the gauge cluster itself to be translucent whatever-color-you-want without needing to change the lights.

I hear you on the too much red though. My thought is to change the needle to a different color.

·
Registered
146 Posts

If anyone figures out a way to add some contrast to the gauge cluster PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know! Just when I think I am getting used to ALL that red- I look down and think "Look at all this red!"

Even if the hash marks on the speedometer had some white- it would be so much better. It looks great during the day (I have the non sport package) But man- all that red!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

so i checked out my cluster last night and i realized i think i'm screwed... the red is in the numbering itself which means i'd have to get new gauge faces.

i have the sports package what does the cluster look like without it? i saw a commercial last night and the numbering was white.... i'm jealous =/

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

maybe mazda will see that the dash needs some contrast (the first year models are always guinea pigs); and will make some changes for the 04 or 05+ models. in that case, we should be able to swap clusters then

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Actually...I've just been out driving the rental Passat I'm stuck with while my 6 is in the body shop. Now...the Passat has blue light, and red needles. Man it's REALLY hard to read!!!

I love blue light, I thought I would have killed for it :D but, now I'm just very happy with all the red in the 6. Yummie. Easy to read too.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

oOoOh... blue would be nice, but i know what ur talking about it doesn't stand out much either...

i liked the white that was in the commercial... even if it was only for when the lights are off at least i'm seeing something different during the day.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Yes, the white during the day looks great. That's the reason I didn't get the sports pack. Well, if the gauges can't be changed- how about the needle on the RPM and MPH? Is that a possibility?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts