Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Sport A/T in North America will be the gated shifter as shown on the MazdaUSA.com site? I am a fan of driving a stick but am mostly in traffic jams so I would love the flexibility of having both the convienience of having a DRIVE position and a manual mode.

For European, Australian, Asian owners of the 6 that have this manual-mode automatic transmission, is it true to the feeling of a manual? Or does it shift up automatically when pushed to the redline?

Thanks for any input!!!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Gated Shifter with Manual Mode for Auto. Transmission'

The Manumatic will be an optional transmission in US and Canada.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Actually, the Manumatic is the only option you get if you option for automatic. If you chose the L4 then you get a 4 speed manumatic. If you get the V6 then it is the 5 speed version manumatic.

It is either manual or the optional automatic/manumatic.

This is similar for both US and Canada market.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Not for the US and Canada markets though.

They have a regular automatic transmission. A manual transmission. And the manumatic.

·
Registered
391 Posts

No regular automatic transmission for the North America. I spoke with a friend from Mazda he told me we only have two options here : Manual 5 speed and auto 4speed manumatic (I4) and auto 5 speed manumatic (V6). But when you have the manumatic transmission, you can chose between auto or shifter kit.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

That's really so?? In Canada as well? That's very cool in that case.

I was in the understanding that there was three options.

·
Registered
62 Posts

So question is: what will you guys do? Can you get the same "sport feeling" from a manumatic compared to manual? I have no idea which one to go for...

Comments?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Well it's hard to shift faster than a computer. That is if it's programmed correctly. And even then DuratecPerformance will probably come out with an ECU or chip to improve shifting speed on the manumatic. I think the manumatic should be pretty good if it's fast on it's shifts and not forced into 1st gear. [so you can launch the car :D]

·
Registered
319 Posts

Its still an automatic transmission, with a power sapping torque converter.

The manual will still accelerate more quickly and give a feel that no manumatic transmission could ever give.

Get the manual.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Well, I'll take the automatic too, for the same reason as neoanderson2002. I'm always in traffic.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Originally posted by Jerome81

Its still an automatic transmission, with a power sapping torque converter.

The manual will still accelerate more quickly and give a feel that no manumatic transmission could ever give.

Get the manual.[/b]
I beg to differ. On the low end side Manumatic uses a torque converter and it is like an automatic (slush box). However go to the Ferrari F1, BMW SMG have an automatic clutch and not a torque converter. So there are 2 types, get it straight first... :D

This is how I see it and it usually pans out.

If you like the feel of manual and like driving manual, you will not like the manumatic type of shifting. It will feel slow, slushy and just not like shifting.

If you have never driven manual and you have driven automatic all your life, then the shifting can be a way to seem like a manual and generally you will like it.

For those who don't like the hassle of manual but don't really like automatic, but are forced to because of too much stop and go or whatever, you will probably still not like the shifting, but live with it because you have some modicum of control.

Just my nickel... (damn canadian dollar doing so crap)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Kranberry

If you like the feel of manual and like driving manual, you will not like the manumatic type of shifting.  It will feel slow, slushy and just not like shifting.

If you have never driven manual and you have driven automatic all your life, then the shifting can be a way to seem like a manual and generally you will like it.

For those who don't like the hassle of manual but don't really like automatic, but are forced to because of too much stop and go or whatever, you will probably still not like the shifting, but live with it because you have some modicum of control.[/b]
If you like stick but your wife will be driving the car alot...

·
Registered
38 Posts

That's why my present car is an automatic. Funny thing is she never drives the car... #$&*@#$ :(

Oh well, when I get my Mazda6 which will probably be 2005 in the CDN market cuz I want the sport hatch or the Mazdaspeed6 it'll definitely be manual. She can have my protegé... :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts