Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a Mazda Protégé automatic from 1992, I bought it just to go from point A to B, home and work, and I’m filling my tank every week, around 44 bucks per week which may sound reasonable to some of you but for me is too much money to be paying in gas.

So I have heard of people optimizing their cars to make it more gas efficient, and I also heard of alternative like some Taxi drivers here in Toronto use propane, which I think required a tank on the trunk.

Can some one give me some info about what is the best way to go to make my car more gas efficient and if any other alternative like propane or something else is worth to look into it?

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
220 Posts
Reading Topic: Gass Efficient

The first modification I would make would be to modulate the right foot in such a manner that an agreeable range of motion could be obtained. The gas pedal is not binary.

The other modification you could make that helps this engine overall is a tune-up. Get some new plugs, new wires and a distributor. Look at the timing and get it adjusted.

Finally, have the transmission tuned up. Essentially the tranny probably needs to be flushed and filled with a new synthetic blend.

Once you do that your fuel milage should greatly improve. This particular engine wasn't designed for lots of modifications like the ES 1.8L was.

You'll find more of what you're looking for at...
http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/index.php

Happy motoring.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

44 bucks per week doesn't sound reasonable, even in Canadian dollars! What are you putting in there? 105 octane?! You've either got a gas tank on wheels, or they're price gouging in Toronto. I fill the tank in my 88 Accord about every week but it only costs me around $16-$17 US.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Perhaps, but I was going on his comment that he is filling his tank every week, not twice a week or three times a week. Maybe that's what he mean, though.

·
Registered
231 Posts

You bought the wrong car. Simple, most Mazdas are engineered to get smething like 30mpg. They are designed for performance ahead of efficiency. I'd trade it in on a more fuel efficient car. By time you rig your car up to run on propane you've spent 2-3 years worth of gas money, so its hardly worthwhile.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replying to Topic 'Gass Efficient'

Thanks Guys

I'm doing 50 km each way from home to work and back, so 100 in total, I'm putting the highger gas because people say is better for the car and it will save me on car repair in the long run
My transmission was rebuild last month so other than tune up I don't know what to do then.

Or change the car but that will cost me more since I won't be able to sell the car for what I pay for it, plus the diferences in to paying for a better car :(

·
Registered
231 Posts

I'd try the normal petrol from a major chain and compare the milage. Running higher octane petrol is not necessarily better as the computer is set to normal petrol. In alot of cases it is worse and costs more at the pump to begin with. Its worth a try. I'd reckon that you should get about 600km per tank or better out of a 323 with an auto.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

i read somewhere or heard somewhere....the comparision betweeen higher and lower octane don't make difference as far as mileage goes.

right now i'm filling my car with like regular plus gas 89 octane i think and with the gas prices going up..i might go to regular....and i don't really know if i should take that route since my car hasn't been driven more than 1000k.

·
Registered
432 Posts

I know how he feels. My car has been sucking gas like beer at a superbowl party. Im spending about the same since I now have to fill up twice a week.

If I had known I was going to spend this much on fill ups, I would have got the s instead.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Higher-octane fuel: WHY????!?

First question: What's your average fuel economy now? I guess we could figure it out if we had the cost per liter of the fuel you buy. Anyway, your current mileage would indicate how much room for improvement you might have.

Originally posted by QBA

I'm putting the highger gas because people say is better for the car and it will save me on car repair in the long run[/b]
The octane rating of fuel relates to how readily it burns. Vehicles that require higher-octane fuel have higher compression ratios and need the higher octane to avoid preignition (knock) that will damage internal engine components. The higher-octane fuel burns less readily, and in fact has slightly less energy (calories) in it per gallon than the lower-octane fuel.

Some older vehicles start to knock on lower-octane fuel because carbon deposits in the combustion chambers have effectively increased the compression ratio to the point where the fuel preignites. The solution there is to clean out the carbon deposits. Note, however, that this would ordinarily only be seen in a vehicle that does short trips in the city almost exclusively. Your 50-km commute would give the engine plenty of hot running time to avoid such buildup.

What I'm trying to say is, based on this information you gave us, your use of fuel with octane higher than what it requires (check your owner's manual) is completely unnecessary. Switching to "regular" unleaded will reduce your fuel costs far more than anything you could reasonably do to your existing vehicle (short of not driving it).

Other options (besides cynder's excellent suggestions) include shortening your commute, carpooling, telecommuting, public transportation, or human power. Some or all of these may not be amenable to you, but hey, man, you asked... :sarc

·
Registered
980 Posts

Thanks for the info garrick. I thought higher octane meant that it burns more easily and produces more energy. So how come putting higher octane gas in some cars produces more power?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Indeed if you're driving distances that require fuel expenditures of that magnitude, either optimizing your current vehicle or perhaps going with a different model that's even more efficient would be the way to go.

A few personal suggestions to help your current Protege deliver better economy:

1. Make certain your tires are inflated properly, and that they're properly balanced. Also make sure your alignment is correct.
2. Don't carry more weight than you absolutely have to. Empty out your trunk, etc..
3. If you drive in hot weather and you need cooling ventilation, you're better off using the air conditioning instead of rolling the windows down whilst on the highway. The drag created by open windows at highway speed actually uses MORE fuel than the A/C.
4. The more electrical equipment you use in your car, the worse your fuel economy will be. People don't commonly equate such things, but pulling current off of your alternator requires the engine to work harder to turn that alternator, thus reducing fuel economy.
5. Make sure the motor oil you use is certified energy efficient.

A lot of other good suggestions were listed in previous posts on this thread. Stick to them and you can save as much as is possible with your Pro.

Regarding alternate cars, although it's okay, the Protege isn't the most fuel efficient vehicle out there. Corolla delivers better economy, as does Civic and Sentra. The best however come from the likes of the hybrid vehicles from Toyota and Honda, as well as VW diesel offerings.

All in all I think fuel economy is cool-- People don't realize how much money we spend on our cars (insurance, maintenance, improvement, fuel, etc.); and investing in a car that delivers decent economy saves us money and reduces pollution. They present lesser traffic congestion and are easier to park. It's the intelligent way to go, contrary to what many-a SUV owners believe (thoughtless, selfish twits).

Edit: Regarding octane and power...

A lot of people think higher octane means that there is more energy in the fuel. Survey says: WRONG ANSWER!

Contrary to popular belief, higher octane fuel doesn't contain any more power than standard grade fuel, and it doesn't burn easier. It actually burns *LESS* easily. Octane stabilizes fuel thus helping to prevent pre-ignition (when the fuel spontaneously ignites due to compression instead of the spark plug igniting it). Higher octane allows the engine to run at higher compression ratios, which means you can squeeze more fuel and more air into the combustion chamber prior to ignition. More fuel and air per stroke means more power. It has nothing, NOTHING to do with the actual energy in the fuel itself.

·
Registered
178 Posts

I have tested the last 2 fillups. I have the V6. Under normal driving I get about 23 miles per GAL. Then I drove the car hard for a week and shifted a the red line all the time. Also all pullouts were fast aswell. I got about 16miles per GAL. I have the sport auto. I also have a I4 ford focus with 18s and a intake and a lot of other stuff done to it that I run high test in a it gets gas milage like a truck 15miles per gal. It does have a hight flow fuel rail in it. If you want to here some sick shit I own a 1971 Dart that gets about 5 to 8 miles per Gal.:D

·
Registered
980 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Gass Efficient'

Do you have the auto or manual? Also what do you mean by normal...shifting at 3000-4000 rpm?

·
Registered
517 Posts

Originally posted by chindo

Thanks for the info garrick.  I thought higher octane meant that it burns more easily and produces more energy.  So how come putting higher octane gas in some cars produces more power?[/b]
You have the cause and effect backwards... It isn't the gas itself that causes certain engines to produce more power; it's the design of certain engines that requires the higher octane so the engine doesn't self-destruct.

Two ways to develop more power are to use a higher compression ratio (ratio of the cylinder volume with piston at bottom to cylinder volume with piston at top) to achieve higher cylinder pressures or turbocharging to cram more air in the cylinders, but these result in higher charge pressures and temperatures as the piston rises. Higher octane is required to prevent the air/fuel mixture from detonating before the spark fires. Premature detonation can tear an engine apart in short order.

In other words, some high-power engines require the higher octane to enable them to do what they do to make lots of power. An engine not designed to require high-octane fuel really doesn't benefit from it at all.

·
Registered
178 Posts

I have the sport auto. Yes Normal is shifting a about 4000 to 4500. and alwas using 5th gear. There are times that I drive the car and never use 5th.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Gass Efficient'

You probably could save a little bit more gas if you shift at 3000 rpm but then again it might not be as fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts