Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it right that i have to full up my mazda 6s every 3-4 days. Im getting close to 300 trip.
I know being in traffic effects gas mileage, but im hardly in traffic.

Another thing im wondering, what effect does rims being on the car have on gas mileage??

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
300 miles to a tank is about right depending on driving style.

The lighter the rims, the better your gas mileage will be. I had on 15lb 17" rims and my mileage increased by 6mpg on the freeway

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how often do u fill up??

·
Registered
128 Posts
I get 420 easy b4 fill up. :drive:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Is it right that i have to full up my mazda 6s every 3-4 days. Im getting close to 300 trip.
I know being in traffic effects gas mileage, but im hardly in traffic.

Another thing im wondering, what effect does rims being on the car have on gas mileage??
[/b]
Forget miles between fillups. You need to track gas usage against miles driven.

At the next fill, reset your odometer. After that, every time you fill up take the miles from the odometer and divide it by the gas you pump. That will tell you your mpg. Record this and reset the odometer. After several (at least 5) fillups, average the numbers and see what you have. You have to average because you will see variations with each fill - they may be close, but not the same and may vary be as much as 3 or 4 mpg depending on the driving mix between city and highway, weather, a/c-heat/defrost usage and how agressive you may have driven between fills.

If you are driving mainly highway (more than 80%) then you should be between 26 and 30 mpg. If you are mostly city (about 20% highway and the rest stop lights or stop signs every mile or less, speeds at or below 45mph) then you should be between 17 and 21 mpg. A combination of the two types of driving (more than 20% of both) then you should see between 22 and 26 mpg.

I'm averaging (overall) 19.1 mpg city, 23.1 mpg mixed and 28.1 highway. My total average is 20.3 combined. The averages will vary from season to season depending on seasonal gas type and whether I am using heat, a/c, defrost, etc.

:)

Good luck!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forget miles between fillups. You need to track gas usage against miles driven.

At the next fill, reset your odometer. After that, every time you fill up take the miles from the odometer and divide it by the gas you pump. That will tell you your mpg. Record this and reset the odometer. After several (at least 5) fillups, average the numbers and see what you have. You have to average because you will see variations with each fill - they may be close, but not the same and may vary be as much as 3 or 4 mpg depending on the driving mix between city and highway, weather, a/c-heat/defrost usage and how agressive you may have driven between fills.

If you are driving mainly highway (more than 80%) then you should be between 26 and 30 mpg. If you are mostly city (about 20% highway and the rest stop lights or stop signs every mile or less, speeds at or below 45mph) then you should be between 17 and 21 mpg. A combination of the two types of driving (more than 20% of both) then you should see between 22 and 26 mpg.

I'm averaging (overall) 19.1 mpg city, 23.1 mpg mixed and 28.1 highway. My total average is 20.3 combined. The averages will vary from season to season depending on seasonal gas type and whether I am using heat, a/c, defrost, etc.

Good luck!
[/b]
good deal
will do

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I do about 200-250 miles per tank on my MS6
I get about 15L/100km in rest-of-the-world units, or about 16mpg in your units
[/b]
That seems low to me. Is Montreal a lot of stop and go driving with extensive idling (do to traffic and/or traffic lights), or do you drive the hell out of the car?

Personally, I wouldn't expect much more than 16 mpg in a place like NYC and maybe less. There you spend a lot of time just sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That seems low to me. Is Montreal a lot of stop and go driving with extensive idling (do to traffic and/or traffic lights), or do you drive the hell out of the car?

[/b]
I drive the hell out of it, which is the main goal I bought this car for. I had a WRX before, and was getting about 13L/100km.

15-20 mpg for the MS6 is what I was expecting and budgetting.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I drive the hell out of it, which is the main goal I bought this car for. I had a WRX before, and was getting about 13L/100km.

15-20 mpg for the MS6 is what I was expecting and budgetting.
[/b]
Good anticipation! Not too many people are realistic about the mpg they may or may not get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
millonater
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing