Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my dipstick last night and it had a distinct smell of gasoline. I did it several times to make sure that I wasn't going crazy. I sniffed the end of the dipstick to make sure that the smell was from that and not something else. I'm familiar with motor oil smell and not what I'm used to.

I've changed the oil twice since I bought the car (once at dealer and once at local Speedee Lube). Both times they used the semi-synthetic.

Anyone else notice this? Should I be worried? I'm gonna call the dealer this afternoon but would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
My last car, a 06 GTI, was my first turbo car and it was the same. I kind of tripped out over it too. Seems pretty normal with turbo'd cars, I guess blow by.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My last car, a 06 GTI, was my first turbo car and it was the same. I kind of tripped out over it too. Seems pretty normal with turbo'd cars, I guess blow by.
[/b]
I have that smell on mine and don't consider it normal at all. Check the consistency of the oil - I'll bet it's much thinner than straight from the bottle at the same temp. Gas is a *powerful* solvent which cuts oil viscosity dramatically. Gas in oil is something you get in an old, worn out car that's i. misfiring so there's raw gas to be ingested and ii. has blow-by, allowing the raw gas to get in the oil. If that's 'normal' then the engine is not destined for a long life. You should carefully check if your oil level rises after a change. If so, the addition is fuel contamination in your oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Every car I've ever had has had a noticeable gas odor on the oil 500 miles after an oil change. There is certainly gas in your oil, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. A little gas can smell like a lot.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Dab a little on your finger and see how long it smells.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Dab a little on your finger and see how long it smells.
[/b]
humm. i haven't done this since i was 16.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gas in your oil is not good by any means, its possibly blowby or a head gasket problem. Blowby is not normal either.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I guess I was smart to get rid of my GTI then. I had a whole bunch of technician friends that said it was normal....... Guess they are all clueless. I'm sure no two turbocharged cars' oil will smell the same.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You realize that blowby is caused by your rings getting burned out and not sealing the cylinder properly. I guess you could call that normal......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts