Mazda 6 Forums banner

Gas pump keeps clicking

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mozz 
#1 ·
Hello,

first, excuse my unprecise english, it's not my native langage.

I have a strange problem with my 6 (2.3L, 2008, 241.737kms, all stock). It began two month ago at ~239.500kms. When I refuel, even if the gas level is very low, I can only put gas very slowly (20 minutes to fill the tank from almost empty) or the pump will release after each 0.5L

One month ago, I replaced a small kind of filter which is located just behind the rear fender, after the gas "hole". It has a line that goes with the refuelling line. I don't know its name but it's normally hidden by the rear fender cover. That cover was missing on my car so the filter I replaced was full of snow everytime. I got the piece by myself at a scrap yard and blew in to check it. This didn't resolve the problem.

At the same time, I replaced the purge valve solenoid, without any effect on the problem.

two weeks ago, after a 400kms trip, I shutted down the car and when I restarted it, the CEL remained on:
P2401 EVAP Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit Low.
the odometer indicated ~ 240.800kms. I found that strange so I decided to clear the code and see if it would come again. after 1000km, still no check engine.

Yesterday, during a 200km trip, I felt 4~5 times an engine shake, like when your fuel tank is almost empty and the car complaints. I was driving at 115 km/h (~71mph) without cruise control when I felt those shakes. the tank was around 1/4 full.

Now the odo indicates 241.737kms and I noticed the fuel consumption increased a little.

After some researches, I suspect that a clogged vapor canister is the culprit.
Does someone here ever have this problem?
And do you know where is it located in the car?

I found a similar thread here: forum.mazda6club.com/2-3l-i-4/388569-vapor-canister-replacement.html

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi all,

I am having the exact same issue when trying to fill gas into my '08 Mazda6 (240,xxxkm). The issue appears to be with any pump I got to regardless of maneuvering the nozzle around.

I do notice that with the gas cap I will click tighten it enough to hear a few clicks however when it's time to fill again the cap was not as tight as I had tightened it last.

#5 ·
Hey omaiiir,

I'll try to find a charcoal canister and replace it, but in this winter, not yet sure!
I'll tell you if that solution works.

A temporary solution is to block the gas pump in a low filling rate position with those windshield cleaners you find in the stations, the refill will be slow but it's better thant clicking during 15 minutes ;)

#7 ·
I'm not sure but the charcoal canister doesn't seem to be easily accessible. You have to go under the car, somewhere close to the rear left wheel and the gas tank. It seems covered by a shield.

Sadly we'll have snow until april so it's impossible to give a look now :/

Consider changing your gas cap too, it's not too expensive.

I got a pending P2401 again :(

#9 ·
Hello!

omaiiir, sorry to hear that, could you do something about that?

With my OBD2 reader I could retrieve a freeze frame and the code definition. Here it is, if someone can extract some relevant information:

Code definition:
Code:
Mar_26_2018_06-15-07-PM
VIN was manually entered
VIN: ******************
1 Confirmed Trouble Codes:
• P2401: EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit Low
1 Pending Trouble Codes:
• P2401: EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit Low
Freeze frame:
Code:
mars 03, 2018 8:35 p.m.
VIN retrieved from Vehicle
VIN: ****************
Make:Mazda Year:2008
Trouble Code P2401 triggered Freeze Frame.
Code Def: EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit Low
PID : Description : Value
04 : Calculated Engine Load Value : 72.2 %
05 : Engine Coolant Temperature : 89 °C
06 : Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 : 1.6 %
07 : Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 : 0.8 %
0B : Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure : 87.0 kPa
0C : Engine RPM : 2421 rpm
0D : Vehicle Speed : 108 km/h
0E : Timing Advance for #1 cylinder : 22.0 °
0F : Intake Air Temperature : 9 °C
10 : Mass Air Flow Rate : 32.44 g/s
11 : Absolute Throttle Position : 28.6 %
1F : Run Time Since Engine Start : 3546 seconds
2C : Commanded EGR : 76.9 %
2E : Commanded Evaporative Purge : 0.0 %
2F : Fuel Level Input : 80.8 %
30 : # of Warm-ups Since Codes Cleared : 66
31 : Distance Traveled Since Codes Cleared : 1459 km
33 : Barometric Pressure : 101 kPa
3C : Catalyst Temperature Bank 1 - Sensor 1 : 675.1 °C
42 : Control Module Voltage : 14.061 V
43 : Absolute Load Value : 65.1 %
44 : Commanded Equivalence Ratio : 1.006 λ
45 : Relative Throttle Position : 18.8 %
46 : Ambient Air Temperature : 9 °C
47 : Absolute Throttle Position B : 29.0 %
49 : Accelerator Pedal Position D : 40.4 %
4A : Accelerator Pedal Position E : 29.0 %
4C : Commanded Throttle Actuator : 22.4 %
Vehicle Protocol: CAN11_500
Sensor F/W Version: OSAPI v2.39
App Version: 6.11.4.127

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.