Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my wagon for a bit over a month now and one thing that has bugged me is the gap between the brake and gas pedal. It makes heel toe foot work impossible. Nobody made anything so I fabbed my own solution.

Bolted this over the existing pedal and problem solved. Definitely makes the car more fun and engaging to drive.

I've got a dead pedal cover in the works too. Should have that installed in the next few days.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks great! Always gotta love a little DIY job that works out so well, very rewarding. :)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Very slick... I adapted the speed 6 pedal covers for clutch and brake and then installed the speed 6 entire gas pedal sender unit. The spacing for the speed 6 pedal is a bit closer than the stock one on my 04 and it does help with heel toe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had my wagon for a bit over a month now and one thing that has bugged me is the gap between the brake and gas pedal. It makes heel toe foot work impossible. Nobody made anything so I fabbed my own solution. View attachment 237664 View attachment 237665

Bolted this over the existing pedal and problem solved. Definitely makes the car more fun and engaging to drive.

I've got a dead pedal cover in the works too. Should have that installed in the next few days.

Has anyone asked to buy this? If so how much?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
In the 6... I don't find it's a heel toe anyway. It's more about slanting the angle of my ankle so that the outside of my foot catches the gas pedal. In my 55 MG however the toe goes on the brake pedal and the heel is actually what gets the accelerator. In that car the pedal is a lot lower to the floor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone asked to buy this? If so how much?
No one. they actually wouldn't be much. Probably $25, maybe cheaper depending on how many I make. I need to come up with some different screws to attach them. the upper screw is super hard to get a nut on the back side. Going to get some self tapping screws meant for plastic. Pre-drill the pedal then screw in the screws.

Here is the dead pedal. Still need to get screws for this.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I forget the make of alum. pedal covers - but there is one out there that has a lip on the RHS of the brake cover to prevent your toe from accidentally hooking under the brake pedal when you cock your foot over to the left to heel 'n toe (heel 'n toe is a misnomer... does't accurately describe the actual foot-action).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to run a batch of five in the next week or two. These were plasma cut and engraved with an attachment on that machine. Next batch will be CNC machined. The edges will be cleaner and the engraving deeper. I also found some screws that make installation more solid and easier.

I forget the make of alum. pedal covers - but there is one out there that has a lip on the RHS of the brake cover to prevent your toe from accidentally hooking under the brake pedal when you cock your foot over to the left to heel 'n toe (heel 'n toe is a misnomer... does't accurately describe the actual foot-action).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It actually comes from waaaay back in the day when the accelerator pedal was in the middle. You would right foot brake with your heel and work the gas with your toes. My pedal setup is for sure for toe/side of foot action

·
Registered
737 Posts
It actually comes from waaaay back in the day when the accelerator pedal was in the middle. You would right foot brake with your heel and work the gas with your toes. My pedal setup is for sure for toe/side of foot action
Yea, for regular cars and drivers/roads, theres no need to brake with your toes and gas with your heel. It takes less time to do that than to swivel your foot over to blip it. Plus theres the possibility youll over brake or over gas too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
waughoo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing