Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just got my Mazda 6 on Monday. I was wondering what type of mileage people are getting. When I got it the Dealer filled the tank. but now I have about 250 miles on it and I am at about 3/8 of a tank of gas. This seems to be a bit heavy on the gas for what I had expected.

Someone said that the car wouldn't get as good a mileage while it' breaking in. I also don't know if the dealer got the tank full or just kinda filled it up.

I have the 6i with a auto with both the sports and the rim package.

Jason

·
Registered
468 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Gas Mileage'

heh. i got the 6 cylinder 5 speed. i get about 280 miles per tank that averages to 15.5 miles per gallon. maybe i can stretch it to 300 if i'm lucky. i drive to hard/abusive.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: Gas Mileage

I filled my first tank (with a 6i manual) when the needle said I had a quarter tank left. I had gone 320 miles, but it only took 10.2 gallons to fill the tank. That's still over 30mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well, I do almost all highway driving. I drive about 60 miles a day back and forth to work. Amost all of that is highway driving. Only about 5 miles of that is not highway. I guess I don't know how bad it is yet casue I havnen't filled it but it seems to be droping fast.

I guess no matter what it does I am going to like it better then my Blazer. Anything beats the 16 mpg I was getting. I'm just hoping to get near or better then 30mpg. Most of the time my engine is sitting at 3000 rpm zipping down the road at about 70mph.

Jason

·
Registered
322 Posts

Hehe we need a metric/imperial converter :p

I have the 4cyl '6 and the spec sheet says I should be getting 10.0l/100kms around the city and have been getting more like 12.2l/100kms.

I'm gonna wait until my 10,000km service (2ish months) and if it hasn't gotten more efficient I might query my dealer about it... but all in all I don't really mind.

It seems good on the highway though, I went for a 400km trip on less than 1/2 a tank... not bad :)

Usually I get 500km on a full tank around the city.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Well, the E light for me hits at around 280-290 miles, so since we have 18 gal tanks with a 3 gal reserve, I would say my V6 is averaging around 18.5-19.5 MPG in Houston city driving

·
Registered
31 Posts

Hi Rainchild,

I too have the 4cyl '6 (auto) in Australia and I've been averaging around 10.3l/100km around city, according to the trip computer. Perhaps your driving style is bit more "sporty"?

·
Registered
71 Posts

No more than 10.0l/100km in the city. About 8.5l/100km mixed
driving. That's with 2.3. Usually I refuel once a week after driving
about 500km (40 - 45l). Have to agree I'm quite lucky to avoid
traffic jams.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

I have a 6i auto, and just filled up my first tank this past wednesday....i had gone i think 304 miles (so about 300 when the engine light came on) and filled up 14.5 gallons i do believe. So i'm getting around 21 mpg. That was mixed highway and city driving. I'm hoping after the break-in period i'll be able to go about 350 before i fillerup. Hope that helps.
-Yasir

·
Registered
10 Posts

Wow my first post :). I heard that the posted gas mileage on the spec sheet is the gas mileage you should get when your car is a lot lighter without the extras i.e. AC, stereo etc. Atleast thats what the dealer told me.

·
Registered
793 Posts

ive put in about 250 i say and i stll alil over 1/4 tank or so. i dont know if its cuz i dont have rims and the the kit but i think it'll push maybe 340/350 miles if im lucky

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well I guess it's not so bad. I just filled up. 13.2 gallons 330 miles. With being the first tank of gas and the likely hood that the dealer didn't get it all the way full I am happy.

When I filled up tonight the needle went totaly above the full line. I know it was just equal with the line before.

Jason

·
Registered
117 Posts

Originally posted by TS3 DraGkuLa

ive put in about 250 i say and i stll alil over 1/4 tank or so. i dont know if its cuz i dont have rims and the the kit but i think it'll push maybe 340/350 miles if im lucky[/b]
Well, I would not recommend to push it past 345 mi :) See my other post "Ran out of gas"...

6i + a/t

·
Registered
791 Posts

Originally posted by mbd_int

Originally posted by TS3 DraGkuLa

ive put in about 250 i say and i stll alil over 1/4 tank or so. i dont know if its cuz i dont have rims and the the kit but i think it'll push maybe 340/350 miles if im lucky[/b]
Well, I would not recommend to push it past 345 mi :) See my other post "Ran out of gas"...

6i + a/t[/b][/quote]

Just bragging here... 540 miles with a manual, city traffic :)

·
Registered
119 Posts

I'm stunned & impressed. So responsible to know what you use. Well done guys !

All this time I thought USAians just consumed consumed consumed when it came to petrol (gas).

I guess thats the RV diet of crap we get fed here, u know every American has 10 gas guzzling monsters in the shed and thinks 5mpg is excellent (or is that just hummers ?)

My i4 gets about 10l to 12/100kms in mixed driving

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Well with having to put in only 13 gallons that means that I had 5 gallons left in the tank I'm not totally convinced that the gas guage reads in a linear fashion. I did notice that several point this gas guage would just hover for a while. When I filled up my gauge showed just under 1/4 tank of gas.

With 5 gallons left and the 25 miles I was getting I had ~ 125 miles left in the tank. So my total range would have been about 450 or something like that. But I still don't think the dealer got the tank full the first time.

Jason

·
Registered
158 Posts

My V6 is getting between 20 and 22mpg in mixed driving. I've got about 750 miles on the car. We've had really cold weather lately, and even my mom's 4cyl Auto Accord that usually gets close to 30mpg is running around 24mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Gas Mileage

Does the really cold weather effect the gas mileage that much. I live in Iowa so were getting some of that cold that you are. We had several days this low tempatures in the 10s and single digitis.

Jason

·
Registered
158 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Gas Mileage

When I used to live in Ann Arbor I had to drive 15 minutes and cover only 5 miles to get to work. With my old 626 in the winter I'd only get in the low 20's for gas mileage. In the summer I'd get high 20's to low 30's.

Having moved to Holland, in the summer I was getting low 30's (of the 32 miles to work only 5 are surface streets). I'm keeping the 626 around 'till the end of winter for when the weather gets bad, and is still getting upper 20's for mileage.

So, part of that depends on how warm the engine gets, etc. Putting numbers on things, I'd say that the fuel economy drop from 68F (20C) to 32F (0C) is on the order of 10-15%. With those temps, I'd probably lean closer to 10%. As temps dropped to 10F (-12C) I'd go closer to 15%. That's all 'back of the envelope' type stuff and I wouldn't take it as gospel.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts