Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I was just wondering what other Mazda owners are getting for their gas mileage. I bought a Mazda6 s Sports Sedan a couple of months ago and have been horrible mileage. I'm curious if it's just all Mazdas or just a problem I have with mine. I've got the 6-speed Automatic 215 hp 3.0L DOHC 24-valve V6 engine. According to Mazda, I should be getting 20 mpg city, and 27 mgp highway. I would say that I'm averaging 15-16 mpg city, and maybe 20-22 highway. My 16 gallon tank gets no more than 260 miles before needing to be filled up. I would say that I usually put on about 80 highway miles and the 180 city miles per tank on the average.

I realize that I live in a very dense city, so there is always a good amount of traffic. However, I'm not a crazy driver (meaning I don't accelerate as quickly as possible and then slam on my breaks at every light) nor do I drive with the AC on high or windows down.

Does anybody else have this problem or is it possible that there may be something wrong with my car. The reason I'm asking now is because I'm going in for my first oil change later this week and I want to know if I should bring it to their attention.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Fuel Mileage Thread

There's approx 42 pages in the above thread of people comparing gas mileage and comsumptions.

For reference though, I own a 2004 v6 Auto (has the 5 speed) Sedan. I drive approx 20-25 miles everyday roundtrip to work. Half city, half highway, and I get approx 19-22 mpg, based on how quick on the peddle I am.

And I usually go around 220 to 240 between fill ups as well. And are you counting how much fuel you put in for a fill up, or how much is in your tank? Because on average, I fill up at about a 1/4 tank and put 11 gallons in. So 230 miles for 11 gallons is about 21 mpg. If I used the tank capacity you mention of 16, it would 14 mpg. Food for though.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,531 Posts
Plus, if your 6 is new, it takes a couple thousand miles for it to "wear in", and you'll notice your fuel mileage go up with every tankful.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The mileage on this car varies A LOT with driving style. I have a 150-mile round trip commute each day, with 90% highway miles. When I drive like I LIKE to drive (aggressively), I get 24-25 MPG. When I drive like I am right now (little old lady trying to avoid a ticket...grrrrr), I get dead-on 28MPG.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after reading the 42-page thread on gas mileage, I've realized that there is a whole lot of variation in what other people have been getting in their mileage.

As far as what's been brought up in this thread...... When calculating my mileage, I do use the amount of gallons required to refill the tank, not just 16 tank capacity. Also, I do realize that it may take a couple thousand miles to 'wear in' the engine. This is why I've been pretty patient the past few months. But being now at about 3,200 miles, I don't know how much longer I'm supposed to wait before having some sort of complaint.

Also, as mentioned earlier, I don't believe I'm an aggressive driver. I live in NJ, where 1 ticket can double your car inurance rates, which are already way too high as it is. I don't even want to imagine what my mileage would be if I did like to drive aggressively... probably somewhere in the 12-14 mpg range, which would just make me cry.

Anyway, my intial question was should I comment on this when taking my car back to the dealership for an oil change? I believe they have some tests they can do. Or, should I just wait? Is 15-16 mpg bad enough, or is it normal?

Again, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I used to live near DSimmons, im guessing you comute into Omaha right?

yea i got MUCH better gas milage and all my driving was prety much city as i lived downtown, trafic was light and you could speed pretty good around town there.

Here in Hawaii i SIT in traffic about 2.5hrs a day, i get chitty gas milage now. prob in your range.

So no, i don't think there is a problem.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I found the reason why I was getting poor fuel economy (mainly during the winter months).

1) Because of the "air leak" problem with the defrost and the front window fogging up, I would be running the defrost alot, hence running the a/c compressor. Keep the front window clean and apply anti-fog, I found my fuel needle moving slower.

2) Besides defrost, and defrost and feet, did you know that setting the vents to feet also engaged the a/c compressor!!! SUNAVABITCH!!! During the winter months I would run heat with feet vents. No wonder I was using up so much gas in the winter. I was running the a/c compressor.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Well, after reading the 42-page thread on gas mileage, I've realized that there is a whole lot of variation in what other people have been getting in their mileage.

As far as what's been brought up in this thread...... When calculating my mileage, I do use the amount of gallons required to refill the tank, not just 16 tank capacity. Also, I do realize that it may take a couple thousand miles to 'wear in' the engine. This is why I've been pretty patient the past few months. But being now at about 3,200 miles, I don't know how much longer I'm supposed to wait before having some sort of complaint. [/b]
My fuel mileage continually improved all the way up to 4000 miles, and I have the 6i 4-cyl automatic. My lastest tank was 26.1 mpg with mostly highway, speeds of 75-90, and AC on the whole time.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I used to live near DSimmons, im guessing you comute into Omaha right?

yea i got MUCH better gas milage and all my driving was prety much city as i lived downtown, trafic was light and you could speed pretty good around town there.

Here in Hawaii i SIT in traffic about 2.5hrs a day, i get chitty gas milage now. prob in your range.

So no, i don't think there is a problem.
[/b]
You are correct sir. And I used to live down in Glenwood, which made my trip to work approx 36 miles one way. I was getting good mileage in the 24-26 range since my driving was 95% interstate.

Having just got back from my honeymoon in Maui, the move to Hawaii must not have been too rough. And I noticed that too on Maui. Certain times of day, a 15 minute trip would take 45 because there were so many cars coming home from work. Must be a killer with the higher gas prices as well. I'd feel sorry for you, but I've seen the view...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2004 6i 5spd w/ 19xxx miles. I regularly get 28.5 mpg using 85 octane gasoline, driving in colorado springs (elevation 6100 feet). One word of advise use regular unleaded in your car, I always get crappy gas milage when I run anything but regular. It's something like 2 mpg less than what I get when I run regular unleaded. There's some science behind this, and if you search it here it is explained. But trust this advice.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have a 2004 6i 5spd w/ 19xxx miles. I regularly get 28.5 mpg using 85 octane gasoline, driving in colorado springs (elevation 6100 feet). One word of advise use regular unleaded in your car, I always get crappy gas milage when I run anything but regular. It's something like 2 mpg less than what I get when I run regular unleaded. There's some science behind this, and if you search it here it is explained. But trust this advice.
[/b]
Im still waiting for the car to break in, i get about 26 mpg and thats mostly highway driving, it should be going up soon, already hit the 2000 mile mark.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im still waiting for the car to break in, i get about 26 mpg and thats mostly highway driving, it should be going up soon, already hit the 2000 mile mark.
[/b]
I got 25 on my first tank and 28.3 on my second ang expecting it to improve so I am sure you can get better than 26. I have the 6S.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Dang....how do all these 6sers get such good mileage and i get such poor mileage ( im talking 17/24 here)......i ran a fuel cleaner, my oil is brand spankin new, shoot dude....maybe it was the previous owners poor car breaking in skills...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts