Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys I need some help figuring this out. Little background on me, I have built and rebuilt a number of hondas but this is my first mazda. So im familar with engines and building and rebuilding them.

Heres my problem. I have a 2004 Mazda 6s with the 5 speed. I heard what started out as a light ticking noise when sitting in the car. To what now sounds more like a knocking. I took it to the dealer and we found only 2.5qts of oil in the car (synthetic). The engine is not burning oil and there are not signs of leaks (yes i know it had to go some where). We sent the oil out and found that the 2.5qts of oil contained 14% fuel.

So the dealer wants to sell me a new engine. They said they do not list parts from Mazda to rebuild the engine. So the only thing they can do is replace it. The warranty i have wont cover it cause they are saying the damage was caused due to lack of oil and poor maintenance. Which is not the case (I've only had the car for six months and 6,000 miles with a full synthetic change 3,000 miles after purchase). In the time I had the car ever time I checked the oil it was fine.

The crank and rod bearings are burnt but not scored or spun. Im trying to find out from mazda what the compression on the cyclinders was. My thought is that the fuel in the oil is what caused the oil to dissappear and break down the friction barrier. Which lead to the burning with lead to the knocking.

Here is where i need your help.

1: anyone have this happen before
2: thoughts on the cause of this
3: thoughts on engine. Can it be rebuilt or should i start looking for a boneyard motor.
4: if it can be rebuilt where do i get parts. since Mazda claims they cant get them.

Thanks for your help. If i missed anything just ask. I will answer the best I can as the info im getting is comping from the dealer since they have the car at the moment.

-RW

·
Registered
27 Posts
hate to say it but mine basicaly did same thing with the ticking noise got louder but mine ran like complete shit. redlined at 3000 and so on. never checked the oil to actaully see if there was gas in it but it smelled like it bad. my motor is toasted says the mechanic jumped timing chain and pulled piston out to far he says no rebuild kit. and $5000 for a used one installed with a warranty. But yea same thing had mine 4 months and 5000 miles one oil change synthetic. Found a complete reman on ebay for 2700 with 4year 1million mile war. sorry if it is done. but i feel your pain!!!!!! btw how much did you pay for urs and how many miles on it. mine had 92000

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Im biting the bullet and getting a reman engine. Should be shipping out in the next day or two. Got the engine for $2600 with 3yr warrant and shipped to the dealer.

Got my car for a smidge under 10K with 79,000 on it with leather and bose.

Once the new engine goes in im gunna tear appart the old engine. Im finding some things here and there for rebuilding these engines but its not easy and I need the car back on the road. Once I get a chance to look at the engine and see what really happened then I'll look into what I want to do with it from there.

Any one ever port and polish the heads? If you did, did you get anything from it (other then a lighter wallet)?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm guessing that your PCV valve failed causing high oil consumption. It happened relatively slowly so you didn't notice it burning. Once it got low enough, the wear on the piston walls caused massive blow-by.

Either that or you have an injector that is sticking open which leaned out your oil. That would also cause horrible wear on the cylinder walls, blow-by, and incredible oil consumption.

The oil must be burned or leaked out. It won't just evaporate. In one of my Contours, someone installed the wrong MAF which caused it to run insanely rich. It destroyed the engine. No compression on all cylinders. When I went to drain the oil, to my amazement I drained 7 quarts of oil that REEKED like gas. A Zetec Contour only needs 5 quarts. The rest was gas. :eek:

BP

·
Registered
585 Posts
Be sure to boroscope your CATs. With as much junk as has probably gone thru them I'm sure they are toast. Have you read all the info regarding rear precat failure leading to engine failure exactly as you describe? I have 3 engines to prove it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts