Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Little Rock, we just got an alternative fuel station. They sell both biodiesel and a gas/ethanol blend. The owner's manual says that you can use the mix that has up to 10% blend and that is what the station sells.

Has anyone used this in their car? If so, any problems?

It will probably be a little more pricey, but I want to support the business & the technology... but not at the expense of my car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have had a few rental cars that run on E85. The gas milage is much less, and the overall acceleration of the car is degrated. It is a very usefull fuel alternative, but I did not know that the 6's were able to run on it? You stated that it was in the owners manual?

·
Registered
270 Posts
every gas station around here has 10% ethanol. gas milage took a slight dip and performance degradation was noticable. I even drove around for a month wondering what was going on with my car before someone pointed out that the gas changed, I was just so happy the prices came down a bit. IMO ethanol can GTFO.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Thats what some, if not all, the Hess stations here sell. I try not to go there unless its a last resort. The needle goes down alot faster. I sometimes wonder why my gas mileage gets so crappy out of no where, and when I remember where I bought the gas, its usually because I got the 10% ethanol.

The only gauge I have to determine true gas mileage is when I drive home on I-80 with a full tank of gas. At the point the needle touches the 1/2 tank mark, if I'm at 230 miles, I'm getting very good mileage. Thats with the 2004 V-6 Atx. For local driving, I remember filling up with the 10% mix, and only getting 185 miles down to the 1/2 tank mark.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Most stations around me are 10% ethenal. I haven't noticed a difference in performance or gas mileage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It costs more and gets worse performance and mileage... the environment isn't that important to me (JK - kind of).

Thanks. i may still try a tank just to see, but I doubt it will be my new thing.

·
Registered
979 Posts
All our stations have it and I hae noticed no differnece since we got it out here other than the typical price gouging!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have used it serveral times. My gas milage was about the same, and I didnt notice any difference in the way the car ran. It usually is cheaper to buy not more expensive. Make sure it is only 10% because that is the only blend our cars can use. There have been new laws regarding this fuel, and now I know here in kansas at least they can sell it to you and dont even have to tell you. But I dont mind because as I said my car ran just as good on it as on pure gas. I would hessitate to believe otherwise unless shown some proof, other than peoples butt dynos.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Kind of a political rant here, but dont support ethanol. I'm all for alternative fuels, but ethanol is not the answer. I'd rather see more research go into Butanol which is more similar to modern gas than ethanol.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Some of the stations around me have 10% ethanol in their gas. Never noticed a difference. Did look up some facts about ethanol and this source says its good for cars and performance as well. Is this wrong or something? I thought this would be worse.

·
Registered
270 Posts
might be possible that the source of the ethanol may impact the quality?
who knows but my butt dyno said there was a difference even before I knew anything changed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I have heard enough of both sides and just filled up with a tank. It is new here in Little Rock and there is only one station in town that carries it. Is is a bit more expensive here (probably for that reason alone). My Wife saw $2.12 and I filled up at $2.19 for the ethanol.

So far I have driven 5 miles in the rain, so I have no idea of the difference. I will resurrect this thread in 300-350 miles to give my "butt dyno" on a 2003 w/ 47k miles performance.

Thanks for all of the input.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have had a few rental cars that run on E85. The gas milage is much less, and the overall acceleration of the car is degrated. It is a very usefull fuel alternative, but I did not know that the 6's were able to run on it? You stated that it was in the owners manual?
[/b]
E85 is 85% ethanol, not 10%. I can only imagine our vehicles cannot run on it as there are not Flex Fuel labels all over them. If you put E85 in a car that was not designed for it, you can some serious problems with your fuel system by my understanding.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Why should we not support ethonal? It comes from grain, and grain is one thing america has tons of with out having to buy it from somewhere else(like the middle east).

I saw a special on flex fuel one nite, it was talking about some south american country. I forget which one, but they grow tons of sugar. So they turn the sugar into alchohal and burn it in their cars. They have cleaner emisions, more power, and it is dirt cheap. They also pretty much only have flex fuel cars tho.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
E85 is 85% ethanol, not 10%. I can only imagine our vehicles cannot run on it as there are not Flex Fuel labels all over them. If you put E85 in a car that was not designed for it, you can some serious problems with your fuel system by my understanding.
[/b]
Our owner's manuals say 10% ONLY. The literature that I have seen from this station is the 10% ethanol... NOT the E85. E85 is NOT for our cars.

Oh, by the way, it is not raining this morning and the drive to work seemed exactly the same. The car seemed to move fine when I had a need to gun it. So far so good.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Brazil is completely self reliant on their sugar based ethanol. The only thing holding us back from doing the same thing is Big Oil owning such a huge stake of the government.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
[/b]

Yup. Ever see Back to the Future Part 3. They put alcohol into the engine and blew the fuel injection manifold. So expect for things to break!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I do appologize, they are not selling so far that blended gas and ethonal. We do have E85, and thats what I thought he was talking about.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Brazil is completely self reliant on their sugar based ethanol. The only thing holding us back from doing the same thing is Big Oil owning such a huge stake of the government.
[/b]
A lot of those oil companies are building Ethanol plants all over the midwest.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts