Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone knows if a Garmin Nuvi 660 will fit in the map opening in the dash of a 2006 MS6? I'm thinking of getting one for my wife (it's her car) and would like to know if it fits... the dimensions say it should, but I don't know about the mounting arm - would probably put a disc in there for the suction cup to attach to so it could still be removeable.

If I go this route, I'd probably use the aux-mod input and put a spare outlet in there too.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
[attachmentid=17805] :nono: Mike, I just tried it and I don't think you could make it work. I have a 2004 Mazda6. Last year I went with the Metra kit and installed the Pioneer AVIC-D1. That's the double DIN radio with NAV. I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 660 two weeks ago. I do high recommend the Nuvi 660. It's my third Garmin along with two cars (plus the Mazda) with factory style NAV. The Nuvi 660 is the easiest GPS I've ever used and has the best features. The biggest plus is satellite reception, it doesn't have to be on the dash. I've used it in the house and can't believe it will pick up a signal. The downside is mounting. It comes with the suction mount. I ordered a vent mount off eBay, but it won't work with the Mazda6. To use it in the Mazda, I would suggest using one of the center AC vent. Pick one of the three, close it off, and attach the suction cup mounting disc with the attached two sided tape. This will provide the best physical location and ease of use. I didn't necessarily buy the Nuvi 660 for use in the Mazda. I have two other vehicles without GPS. The Mazda6 is my daily car and I LOVE IT. Several notes about the NUVI 660. It's currently one of the most expensive portables available. I got mine at Sam's club for $788. eBay averages about $725-$750. I like the physical appearance of the Nuvi 660. It big screen, 4.3", slim, and attractive. The Bluetooth function works well. Good luck with your decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Ive been looking to get a GPS unit for the last few weeks now and have done ALOT of research and demoing in stores and have pretty much decided Im going with the Garmin NUVI.. Now I cant afford the 660 but have been looking to pick up the 350.. I know its last years model to the 360 but it does all the same features just minus the bluetooth and since thats something Im not really looking for anyways it works bout perfect. But I would say the NUVIs are one of the best portable GPS units out there even if they are a bit pricey, I think its worth spending the extra $150-$200 for it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:yesnod: Yup, the Garmin's are the best. Especially the Nuvi. The Nuvi 350 is great, but no bluetooth. I believe Wal*Mart is selling the Nuvi 350 for around $488. It should be closing out, so you'll find some great deals on the 350.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[attachmentid=17805] :nono: Mike, I just tried it and I don't think you could make it work. I have a 2004 Mazda6. Last year I went with the Metra kit and installed the Pioneer AVIC-D1. That's the double DIN radio with NAV. - snip -
[/b]
-1-,

You don't really say why you don't think it will work. Do the 04 Mazda's have the map comparment above the 3 air vents?

Since you've got a 660, can the suction cup mount be configured such that it would attach to a horizontal surface, say a table top? If so, could you measure the distance from the back of the suction cup to the front of the nuvi?

And I know about the Pioneer AVIC, I'm not looking to replace the current radio, as it would be a total pain and involve custom work.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:) Mike, the distance from the back of the suction cup to the front of the Nuvi 660 is just shy of 4 1/2", lacking 1/8". All Mazda6s have the storage above the vents. Why I say it won't work, the storage compartment is not deep enough towards the front of the car, or high enough (actual depth) of the compartment. It would be difficult to constantly place it there. Obviously the lid wouldn't close. In my opinion, it would be too awkward. To properly utilize the Nuvi, it would need to be visible and readily accessible (controls). Again, my suggestion would be, use one of the AC vents for mounting. I've attached some pics, I hope they help.

[attachmentid=17809]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Ive been looking to get a GPS unit for the last few weeks now and have done ALOT of research and demoing in stores and have pretty much decided Im going with the Garmin NUVI.. Now I cant afford the 660 but have been looking to pick up the 350.. I know its last years model to the 360 but it does all the same features just minus the bluetooth and since thats something Im not really looking for anyways it works bout perfect. But I would say the NUVIs are one of the best portable GPS units out there even if they are a bit pricey, I think its worth spending the extra $150-$200 for it.
[/b]
i too have been eyeing the 660 but unfortunately funds are very low right now....

hmmmm the 350 is pretty much the same minus blue tooth, will have to look into that... dont need bluetooth...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:) Mike, the distance from the back of the suction cup to the front of the Nuvi 660 is just shy of 4 1/2", lacking 1/8". All Mazda6s have the storage above the vents. Why I say it won't work, the storage compartment is not deep enough towards the front of the car, or high enough (actual depth) of the compartment. It would be difficult to constantly place it there. Obviously the lid wouldn't close. In my opinion, it would be too awkward. To properly utilize the Nuvi, it would need to be visible and readily accessible (controls). Again, my suggestion would be, use one of the AC vents for mounting. I've attached some pics, I hope they help.

[attachmentid=17811]
[/b]
It looks like it works in the third photo, with the 660 centered - visible and readily accessible. Of course you'd have to remove it to close the comparment (will it close on the mount?), but I expected that for it's size. I guess I don't see how the vent mount is any better, and I think it would be more in the way, more "added on" looking, while mounting it in the map compartment would look more built in... just my thoughts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I picked up a Nuvi 660 from Sam's Club (not the best price, but great return policy since this is a gift for my wife - it's her car). I drove her car this evening and tried it out - attached the suction cup to a cd case in the dash compartment. It looked great in there, and all I can say is WOW! the Nuvi 660 is a nice unit - the bluetooth and traffic worked perfect, as did the FM transmitter (though I ordered an Aux-mod adaptor).

I didn't get any pics, but I will when i install the outlet and auxmod.

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
i bought the Nuvi 660 a few weeks ago and used it on a trip to the LA AutoShow from Tucson, AZ... it worked amazingly well the whole trip and by far out performed my expectations... i thought about mounting mine in the dash compartment, but it seems a little to big to fit in and having the compartment open while driving wasn't a desireable option to me. also the reach to use it would be a little farther than i want, so i ended up putting it up next to the rear view mirror on the drivers side. it is very accessible in that position and places the mic for using the bluetooth phone capability right in front of you for clearity... the one downside is the power cord running down from the mirror to the outlet in front of the shifter... but it's not that bad overall... i thought about hard wiring it in using power from the rear view mirror, but the problem with that is the reciever for traffic problems is in the lighter plug in...

the entire Nuvi lineup looks awesome, just depends on what features you want to have... the main reason i went with the 660 is i wanted the bigger widescreen as opposed to the smaller one available on the 3-- series...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the dash compartment is perfect - just the right spot to make it easy to look at and easy to touch. I tried it on the windshield above the dash compartment, but it blocked the tinyest part of the road (not a big deal) but was too far away. I think over by the driver's side mirror would be weird, out of place.... but maybe I'll try it. My wife's previous car, a 2002 Nissan Maxima had a built in nav system that was in the center stack, say about where the cd slot is. I always thought that was too low, but liked it in the center. If my wife likes it in the dash comparment, I plan on putting a outlet in there and the cord to the aux-mod so wires won't be running everywhere.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:yesnod: Great choice going with the Garmin Nuvi 660. Possibly the best portable GPS currently available.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I wanna get this unit to,, I am planning on getting the Nuvi 350 forsure but If I can manage to get a lil bit more money for xmas I may save up and get the 660 cause its a lil bit bigger which I like...

·
Registered
104 Posts
So I picked up a Nuvi 660 from Sam's Club (not the best price, but great return policy since this is a gift for my wife - it's her car). I drove her car this evening and tried it out - attached the suction cup to a cd case in the dash compartment. It looked great in there, and all I can say is WOW! the Nuvi 660 is a nice unit - the bluetooth and traffic worked perfect, as did the FM transmitter (though I ordered an Aux-mod adaptor).

I didn't get any pics, but I will when i install the outlet and auxmod.

Mike[/b]
Could you please pos pics of your setup? Did the suction cup hold properly?
Thx.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Thread bump requesting a few more photos and your thoughts on the close-compartment-requires-660-removal-from-mount situation after havig owned it for a few weeks :)

I'm considering the MSN-enabled Garmin nuvi 680 - it is supposedly *about* to be released!

Of course, overall FM traffic capability review type info would also be welcomed!

(If Amazon doesn't mind image linking, a 680 image showing the traffic info interface (slick!) should show up heere ... otherwise click on the product link above)

Seeing as they don't mind, here's the 660's traffic interface for comparison ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts