Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay boys and girls I'm in Denver for the week on a business trip.
I got a red Pontiac G6 auto rental...

Looks: On the outside it is one of the better looking cars from GM in a long time. The front and rear over hangs are short which give the car a very sporty look. If this car is a basic grocery getter it does not look like it.
On the inside it looks a tad low rent. Not totally bad but sparse. The steering wheel feels plastic an cheap and the arm rests are too low for sports driving. The instrument cluster is nice but again it seems a little cheap. The seats are nice and they give good sports sedan support.

Ride: The ride feels firm but more in a “just a hard ride” kind of way not the solid ride you feel when a sports sedan is telling you both what the road is doing and what the chassis is doing. I get the feeling that a pothole would make this car do very bad things at speed. Not good.
This car is very quiet. Read VERY QUIET.

Power: I have not pushed this car because I don't how the cops are in Denver but in basic driving it does not feel faster than my 6i but I have a manual and this is an auto. I can feel more torque however.

G6 vs. My 6i

People talk about the “cheap” interior of the Mazda 6 but I'll say this: the 6i looks, feels and behaves like it's in a higher class compared to the G6.
I paid around 17k for my new '05 6i and I feel as if I got far more car for the money.

The G6 is not bad at all for 16k or less but it feels like it's just a class below my 6i.

·
Registered
922 Posts
the G6 has such a wide spectrum of options and trims levels... basically you can get a base model G6 that is less spectacular than a standard 6i or you can get the top of the line GTP that is nicer and faster than a 6s GT...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Okay boys and girls I'm in Denver for the week on a business trip.

Ride: The ride feels firm but more in a “just a hard ride” kind of way not the solid ride you feel when a sports sedan is telling you both what the road is doing and what the chassis is doing. I get the feeling that a pothole would make this car do very bad things at speed. Not good.
This car is very quiet. Read VERY QUIET.
I also have a 6i mtx and rented one of these for a week this spring; so I spent some time with it. I'm in agreement with all your observations.

On a trip from Manchester, NH to Maplewood, NJ, to Andover, MA and back to Manchester I couldn't shake a certain feeling of insecurity. At a certain point it hit me: "it's the suspension, stupid." On smaller, windy roads I couldn't shake the fear that if I went too fast I'd be all over the oncoming lane or in the ditch on the right.

It's not a terrible car and maybe, as you say, it's the best looker to come out of GM in awhile, but the handling didn't inspire any confidence at all. Now, maybe the handling isn't even all that terrible, but once you drive something like a 6 for a few years you're spoiled. And you'll never expect less in the handling dept. of any future car you buy. Earlier in the spring I rented a PT Cruiser in Florida. Pretty much the same story. The only thing I enjoyed about both these recent renters was a more reasonable turning circle.

Mazda spoiled me. Now I can't look back. Is there a 3 series in my future?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Do NOT speed around here, man. Cops in Denver and here in the Springs are hardcore on speeding. On the interstate, they generally won't touch you until you hit ten over, but off the I . . . don't speed. Colorado openly talks about how speeding tickets raise revenue for the state. It's pathetic.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do NOT speed around here, man. Cops in Denver and here in the Springs are hardcore on speeding. On the interstate, they generally won't touch you until you hit ten over, but off the I . . . don't speed. Colorado openly talks about how speeding tickets raise revenue for the state. It's pathetic.
[/b]
I hear you Stealth.
I thought about all of your "speeding" post and then I told myself "don't push it. Learn from Stealth!" No joke.

In Atlanta, people drive fast as hell all of the time and you get use to it but I don't need a speeding ticket.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had one of these in San Diego for a week (a GT IIRC). The interior was ok, not nearly as nice as my six. the power...same deal although it was an auto and got thrashy in the higher revs. The brakes were good if a bit touchy. The suspension was lousy. It was noisy and banged over what seemed like small bumps. The car did not feel well-planted at all. Also the nose seemed to stick out really far to me, which made parking it mildly annoying.

·
Registered
900 Posts
My wife had a G6 for a rental when she took a trip to New York City. She liked it alot. She said it drove really well and she did not feel fatigued even after driving for hours. My only gripe, having not driven it, is the styling. Don't get me wrong. It's a good looking car, but I just think Pontiac has gone a little too far the other way. They used to tack on every garish little thing that they could. Now it's like their stuff is just a bit austere.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I got to drive a G6 once when a co-worker had one as a rental (we have the "we can drive each other's rental car" corporate agreements with Hertz/Avis so I've gotten to sample dozens of mediocre vehicles over the years) and just maneuvering the G6 in the office parking lot, I could tell it was a pretty new package wrappered around the same GM crap. Holy unshakable feeling of insecurity, Batman... the 6 seems to know exactly what you want to do, I have yet to experience this in any other FWD sedan in the same price class.

And while I'm neutral on the interior of the 6, the dash of the G6 seemed somehow incohesive to me - like many GM interiors, as if the sections are designed by departments that don't talk to each other.

If you like the G6, I'm sure you'll be able to get massive rebates on year-end 2006 :/

Did the Olds Aurora survive in any form? That's the one GM car I've driven that was actually engaging behind the wheel.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I agree with all the above. I got to drive one as a rental as well.
Best looking Pontiac in awhile (although that isn't much). Interior looks and handling are cheap. I expected to see Playskool written somewhere.

I would like to see how the GTP feels, though. I'm guessing it wouldn't be that much different, but the extra horsies would at least make it a little fun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
:laugh: lol thats funny i too rented a g6. it was the most sweetest thing i ever gotten a chance to ridei rented it from enterprize for 2 days ehh only about $70 very comfortable and a smooth ride... but then again im only 21 (and the best thing that ive driven in my life time was a 95' mercury mystique and a 97' ford taurus... 2 very bad cars had more then enough trouble with the both of them) i cant wait to get behind the wheel of my 06 6i4

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've driven the G6gt and the GTP both in the same day (my old job) and I seriously couldn't feel much of a difference between the two. Maybe my butt dyno was broken but they didnt feel different to me

·
Registered
922 Posts
was it the latest GTP? they are like 240hp/245tq SHOULD be faster than the 6s, but i think the G6 is very heavy, which could even it out...

you have to admit that retractable hardtop is nice... i played with one in the showroom a while back...

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I was going to test drive one of these before I got my 6. I got in and BAM!! I banged my head on the overhead console. I had a bump for 2 days. Needless to say, I never did drive the car...

GM has been doing well lately. I rented a Malibu Maxx LS last year when my last car in the shop. I wasn't impressed, it felt kinda loose and cheap, although it did look nice inside.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've driven just about every G6 sedan rental out there, the 4cyl, V6, and GTP, just not the GT. 4 cylinder has good torque, but not much top end, unlike the 6i. V6 is okay, very good all around motor, but the transmission hinders its full potential. The GTP 3.9 makes me grin, but is thirsty. 1st gear WOT is a blast, and the motor purrs at idle, i just wish it was louder to fit its character.

Each package handles different, but the interiors are identical, best GM has had in... ever, but the 6 is still a step above. The electric power steering feels odd, very light when slow, average weight around town, but numb. The hydraulic steering on the GTP was always heavy, and still numb. Firm ride, but not as smooth and controlled as the 6, but more body roll in the corners. The 6 loves to be pushed, the G6 accepts it. I did like walking up to the GTP, the 18's with the styling was awesome. All other G6s, not so much.

As far as engineering, the doors rattle when shut, not a plastic rattle either, sheet metal sounding. If the G6 was less and offered a mtx in more models, it would be very appealing, but instead, you can get a 6 for about the same price.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I loved the G6 GTP I had as a rental in S FL. this was early this year. I even had to make the drive from FT Lauderdale to Orlando. It's the reason I got my 6. The G6 was faster hands down. I raced a mazdaspeed miata from a stop and had him at the rear bumper by 60. granted he could have been a bad driver (and they aren't that fast) but it was a good feeling. The steering was good until you push it coming out of a turn where the hydrolics are trying to counter torque steer. Ride: I loved the compromise between comfort and handling. I think a sway bar set would go a long way though. I did test drive a GT and it didn't feel nearly as good in any department even though the suspension is supposed to be the same down to the spring rates. I would have bought one but I liked the handling of the 6 better and the price was right.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The G6 is my daily driver car - I have been driving it since I traded in my 2004 6S Hatch back in October. This is my wife's car. I am looking to unload it in June 2007. Here are my impressions from someone who truly knows the car: It is very QUIET - - - So much so in contrast to the Hatch - it is amazing. American Car = Quiet ride = Quality??? The suspension and steering are very soft/numb/etc. This is a very very detached ride. Unlike the Mazda you can not "feel the road". One night (I could not see it) I took a ramp at 45/50mph that was intended for 15 mph. As I entered the steep turn-in the car began to lean marketly. This is NOT NOT Mazda handeling what-so-ever. I turned in so hard and hit the breaks that I locked the ABS fully and caved into full understeer!!! I straight-lined right off the road in a straight line! I nearly shit my pants! I told my wife about the handeling and stated "My Mazda handles so much better" - She laughed at me thinking that I was a dick of sorts. I was serious. The car let me down to the point of full outright failure. The steering and road are not connected at the wheel so when my eyesight and brain told me to turn the wheel - I got 0% feedback from the automobile - I overcorrected and lost control. I now fully see the greatness of say the RX8 with 50/50 balance. So in the end - my wife thinks I don't know what I am talking about- now I know the "truth". Someone just a couple of weeks told me about the steering...I had no idea. Think about the fact that there are no metal rods, bolts, cables to control the streering. Don't drive this car!!!

The G6 is my daily driver car - I have been driving it since I traded in my 2004 6S Hatch back in October. This is my wife's car. I am looking to unload it in June 2007. Here are my impressions from someone who truly knows the car: It is very QUIET - - - So much so in contrast to the Hatch - it is amazing. American Car = Quiet ride = Quality??? The suspension and steering are very soft/numb/etc. This is a very very detached ride. Unlike the Mazda you can not "feel the road". One night (I could not see it) I took a ramp at 45/50mph that was intended for 15 mph. As I entered the steep turn-in the car began to lean marketly. This is NOT NOT Mazda handeling what-so-ever. I turned in so hard and hit the breaks that I locked the ABS fully and caved into full understeer!!! I straight-lined right off the road in a straight line! I nearly shit my pants! I told my wife about the handeling and stated "My Mazda handles so much better" - She laughed at me thinking that I was a dick of sorts. I was serious. The car let me down to the point of full outright failure. The steering and road are not connected at the wheel so when my eyesight and brain told me to turn the wheel - I got 0% feedback from the automobile - I overcorrected and lost control. I now fully see the greatness of say the RX8 with 50/50 balance. So in the end - my wife thinks I don't know what I am talking about- now I know the "truth". Someone just a couple of weeks told me about the steering...I had no idea. Think about the fact that there are no metal rods, bolts, cables to control the streering. Don't drive this car!!!
[/b]

I forgot to mention that the max torque = 220 at 2500 rpm
So you race up to speed quickly on an auto that can not handle both speed and motion...oh yea...Pontiac Excitement ...eh...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Are you kidding me? Do you actually believe that theres no mechanical link to your steering? Cars have not become steer-by-wire just yet my friends.

COOL 6, your post shows that most people will have no idea what the G6 really does when driven hard. BTW, my 6 sedan is at least as quiet at the G6 sedan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts