Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I must say that the G2 Caliper paint is 110% better than using spray can Hi-Temp stuff, it's night and day difference in the product quality. And yes, I used the spray can method on my previous 6 and it lasted about 1 year before looking like crap. With my new 6, I decided to take the high road and spend the extra $$. Glad I did. First, I live in South Florida and G2 recommends applying the product between 56-70 degrees, that's rare if never where I live. It states once mixed you have approximately 3-4 hours of usablilty time to work with, less if it's above the recommended temps. The most important thing is to make sure you have your car completely jacked, all four wheels off, brakes cleaned and prepped before getting your paint ready. FOAM brushing is way to go and you can use a small craft brush to get the hard to reach areas. The spray paint method took several coats to get a even coloring and still showed the rough texturing of the brakes. The G2 product goes on nice and thick and by the third coat, your brakes will take on a hard, smooth surface, similar to a powder coat. I just keep shaking my head in disbelief about the difference in product quality and the finished results. Also something to note about G2, is there 100% Product Performance Guarantee. If at any time during the life of your car the paint should flake or chip off, simple provide proof of purchase and proof of failure to G2 and they will replace the kit at no cost. I dont think I've ever heard that mentioned by anyone before. Thats my two cents... Zoom on.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was planning to do mine this weekend... and last weekend... and the weekend before that...

Damn, I'm never going to get it done. Plus, I think I need two more jack stands. :(

Anyway, looks pretty sweet there, man. Red is the only way to go!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
It is mos def an excellent product! I jacked the front first and put three coats on per the instrutions, let it dry, put the tires on and then jacked the back up and did the rear calipers.

Here's the kicker, the wife painted the calipers on both cars! She is the one insisted on doing it. She is the artist and now all of my boys want her to paint theirs as well.

It has been two weeks on my car and it is perfect, no chips, nicks, just perfect. I feel it is the one of the best, if not the best product out there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Bigbaddad, where'd you get the sticker for your calipers? Looks sweet! Same goes for you Simple Man. Awesome job. That's exactly what I want to do with mine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That looks awesome. What do you guys think would look good on a speed yellow? I was leaning towards red but every time I see that on other cars I think Hulk Hogan. Any ideas?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I just want to throw in my 2 cents...

Make sure you put on all 3 coats!

I let my father do mine while I was out of town...and he tried telling me he only had enough paint to do 2 coats on the rears and like 4 on the fronts...

Well 6 months later my back calipers started chipping. And now it's looks just stupid...I am calling G2 Today to see if I can get them to send me out a replacement set so I can do this again. Just a friendly word of advice...Follow the directions, and if you want something done right...Do it yourself.

Other than that...I believe this is by far the best paint you can do on your brakes minus powder-coating.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by silaszeus@Oct 21 2005, 12:39 PM
Hey Bigbaddad, where'd you get the sticker for your calipers? Looks sweet! Same goes for you Simple Man. Awesome job. That's exactly what I want to do with mine.
[snapback]539541[/snapback]​

Thanks, the decals are available through XenonMods.com. I applied them the next day after the full 24 hour drying time. Their available in almost every color and made for Hi Temp application.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by speed6@Oct 21 2005, 01:18 PM
That looks awesome. What do you guys think would look good on a speed yellow? I was leaning towards red but every time I see that on other cars I think Hulk Hogan. Any ideas?
[snapback]539589[/snapback]​
I think Red Looks great on any car when done right, even yellow. You other options could be black or silver. Here's the choices in G2 paint.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Originally posted by silaszeus@Oct 21 2005, 06:39 AM
Hey Bigbaddad, where'd you get the sticker for your calipers?
Click on this
Check out the link to my car in my sig. There you can see the front caliper and rear caliper decals ;) Thanks for the compliment!

Aloha

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Wait a sec... im getting the feeling that the brake calipers do not have to be removed to be painted?? I have been wanting to do this for a while but had not had time to remove them myself... if i dont have to at all, that would be sweet!

So remove or no?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Originally posted by RoX@Oct 22 2005, 01:17 AM
Wait a sec... im getting the feeling that the brake calipers do not have to be removed to be painted?? I have been wanting to do this for a while but had not had time to remove them myself... if i dont have to at all, that would be sweet!

So remove or no?
[snapback]540186[/snapback]​
You don't have to remove the calipers, just mask off the area and paint the calipers. You have to be quick and allow 15-20 minutes between coats.....as was stated earlier in the post, use 3 coats on each caliper.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I like that gold. Think it would look good on steel grey? I've got a red club sticker already, but I'm not crazy about red calipers for it. Anyone able to do a photochop of the gold?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Originally posted by silaszeus@Oct 21 2005, 12:39 PM
I painted my callipers red as well, bought the stickers form Xenonmods.com. they are the best. I ordered and had them delived 2 days later (Results may very, since they are located in upstate New York and I'm in NYC) so the distance isn't too much). I bought the calliper paint in Strauss Auto, forgot what its called, but it lasted me now for 5 months and no chipping. the stickers hold on great as well (plus, they were pretty cheap. you get 18 stickers for 9.99. 6 stickers of the mazda logo, 6 stickers of the "mazda" and 6 of "6"). good stuff.
:)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Can anyone post a closeup of their rears? Im not sure which areas to paint as they look different from the fronts (noob).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the info, guys, on the caliper stickers. Not a bad deal for stickers that can withstand high brake temperatures.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yeah, definitely good info. I think I'll do this in the spring, because I think it's gotten a tad too cold for this here.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
i have the blazing copper and was thinking about doing gold or red...

originally was gonna go with black but want them to stand out when i get my black wheels...

i believe msmuslim's wife painted her copper 6 w/ the gold and it looked hottt...

what you guys think, gold for the copper??

1 - 20 of 170 Posts