Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specialty Products just came out with a front upper ball joint with camber adjustment for the Mazda6.
Part # 67115.
I just ordered a pair for $170 plus some labor (not from them but a local dealer).
I am told they must be press fit into the old ball joint sockets.

Pat at Specialty tells me they look like this although this is not same part: http://www.specprod.com/PROD_DIR/PROD_PRODNUMBER.HTML

Can't wait to stop ruining my pricey tires before their time and getting lousy grip too!

What do you think?

:love:

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
will be interested to see how these work out! what's the turn around time for them? i thought someone had looked into it without luck though? here's a pic of the suspension from the manual if that helps anyone.

[attachment=18361:6sup1.JPG]

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
That product that you posted Kevin only increases camber. Is that what these units will be doing.[/b]

as you rotate the part, it will adjust both camber and caster.
:::edit::: should have looked better, the honda product does not rotate, so a plate is used to adjust other amounts. though i assume you could turn it around to remove camber, but not what it's meant for.

though not the same part obviously, this one looks a bit to think/tall to work in our setup though

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told the camber adjustment range is +/- 1.5 degrees, no comment on caster adjustment.

My 6 has +0.5 degrees front camber with stock springs, I'm eager to corret this.

I'll let you know how these work out.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey Donny. This is great news. I've been hoping for a solution to achieve more negative camber up front for a while. Are you planning to install these on your car?

I guess I'll be giving RPM more of my money soon... I need new brakes too!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Note that the picture is of a similar product and the actual unit may not look exactly the same. As soon as I receive my initial order, I will post an accurate picture and do a write up on installation.[/b]
Oh i see...so what's that one on your web site right now. Which car is it for? Let me visualize it...

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Wow, about time we finally got something, I've only been after this for probably 2 years! Too bad I don't really need it now :(

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Wow, about time we finally got something, I've only been after this for probably 2 years! Too bad I don't really need it now :([/b]
What are you talking about??? Of course you NEED it!

Question though, I'm new to this camber/caster adjustment. How do you know how much you've changed? Also, it seems like the picture from specprod's website, you just need to jack up the car and use a tool to make the adjustment.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i think the key thing is, not you, but now when you go in for an alignment, THEY have a way to adjust it to where it's ideal or you want it to be. leave the adjustments to shops for the most part, but there's been no way for them to do anything up until now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i think the key thing is, not you, but now when you go in for an alignment, THEY have a way to adjust it to where it's ideal or you want it to be. leave the adjustments to shops for the most part, but there's been no way for them to do anything up until now.[/b]
Do you really need to adjust it? Since it's the only part affecting the camber/castor, I would think we could set them for maximum negative camber and just get the toe straigtened out. Assuming the parts are assembled with sufficient precision and the car's camber is balanced well from the factory, I would just pull the king pin in as much as possible.

This part is a big deal. I can't tell you how surprised I was when I did my first thorough review of this car to find it had no adjustability in the front. It seemed very out of character for a Mazda product. All I know is that they will be mine, oh yes, they will be mine!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you really need to adjust it? Since it's the only part affecting the camber/castor, I would think we could set them for maximum negative camber and just get the toe straigtened out. Assuming the parts are assembled with sufficient precision and the car's camber is balanced well from the factory, I would just pull the king pin in as much as possible.

This part is a big deal. I can't tell you how surprised I was when I did my first thorough review of this car to find it had no adjustability in the front. It seemed very out of character for a Mazda product. All I know is that they will be mine, oh yes, they will be mine![/b]

I have them sitting in my back seat, they look pretty straightforward. I found a racing oriented shop with a good reputation that will do a high quality install/alignment job (another local shop has left bolts loose etc).

They Do not change caster or toe in , only camber, +/- 1.5 degrees.

I will specify -1/2 degree of camber on the front for my street car. Auto crossers would want more from what I read/understand from handling books.

Experts will take the temperature of the tire across its width and adjust the camber untill it is equal from edge to edge.

My car came with a non adjustable +1/2 degree of front camber which seems silly to me, the miata and RX8 come with adjustable camber, what were you thinking Mazda (probably saving money)?

This does not look like an easy adjustment to do accurately with a shop although the install with no adjustment might not be too bad.

I'll keep you all posted, but I think this capability is a must for anyone who takes handling serioulsy on a car. :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.