Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hawaii's finest do use radar still, i have confermation.

many of you know that I have a nice little hardwired radar detector, even though I don't drive TOO fast. (honest here, too many cars, I don't like to be the weaving asshole. It's just dumb.)

Anyways, on my way home from work tonight (8:20PMish) I was clocking 70-75mph on H1, I picked up a signal that QUICKLY jumped all the way up to 9 bars the highest reading for my detector on the X band. So I dropped down to just above 55mph. The detector is freaking out for a few more seconds, then I see on the other side on H1, some poor sap getting pulled over, I pass by and the radar signal drops off.

So a few things to know in refrence. Cop cars here are equiped with radar, they can use it while driving. I have my detector set on the most sensitive setting, I pick up false readings (FR) more, but I can detect from further away. = more time to react. FR come from various things, you learn to pick up on where they always happen. Big ones are automatic doors, as they use radar. usualy get FR around the aiport viaduct (radar & laser), kmart @ waikele just off H1, the kunia/ewa exit, etc. Usualy, FR come in at 1-3 bars, and drop off quickly, as they are stationary.

Like I said, a FYI. Speeding is bad. :nono: But if you do, do it safe and smart. ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hawaii's finest do use radar still, i have confermation.

many of you know that I have a nice little hardwired radar detector, even though I don't drive TOO fast. (honest here, too many cars, I don't like to be the weaving asshole. It's just dumb.)

Anyways, on my way home from work tonight (8:20PMish) I was clocking 70-75mph on H1, I picked up a signal that QUICKLY jumped all the way up to 9 bars the highest reading for my detector on the X band. So I dropped down to just above 55mph. The detector is freaking out for a few more seconds, then I see on the other side on H1, some poor sap getting pulled over, I pass by and the radar signal drops off.

So a few things to know in refrence. Cop cars here are equiped with radar, they can use it while driving. I have my detector set on the most sensitive setting, I pick up false readings (FR) more, but I can detect from further away. = more time to react. FR come from various things, you learn to pick up on where they always happen. Big ones are automatic doors, as they use radar. usualy get FR around the aiport viaduct (radar & laser), kmart @ waikele just off H1, the kunia/ewa exit, etc. Usualy, FR come in at 1-3 bars, and drop off quickly, as they are stationary.
Like I said, a FYI. Speeding is bad. :nono: But if you do, do it safe and smart. ;)
[/b]

SO are the camers back out like the ones they had out by Kaneohe Kailua side back? I always have to drive slow at home because there's so much cops now with POV's. It's ridiculous, you're driving on the H-1 townbound then some guy passes you in a Explorer or even a Toyota Camry and it's a cop....it's always pretty obvious to me when I see a Camaro....thanx for the advice for I can't afford to pay speeding tickets back home, driving at the speed limit of 65mph up here in Alaska on the highways is normal.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The resason i have the detector is because i went to school in nebraska, the speed limit out on I-80 was 75mph in most places. i'm used to going 75-90mph in the 6, from omaha to ft. collins, CO, so a distance of ~600mi.

As far as officers in personal vehicles, the charger/chry 300, new & old mustang GTs / cameros, are the big ones to watch for, and still wary of large v8ed suvs explorer, tahoe?, highlander. I am 90% sure that their vehicles must have v8s. it sure seems like it.

i can't talk about windward too much, as i usualy don't go through there as much. i have not looked out for cameras.

So in conclution to my radar detector shpeel: if you get a radar detector for $80, it could be saving you money here and if you want your nice new detector to look nice, lemmy know and i'll help you hardwire it & put it in some time.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The resason i have the detector is because i went to school in nebraska, the speed limit out on I-80 was 75mph in most places. i'm used to going 75-90mph in the 6, from omaha to ft. collins, CO, so a distance of ~600mi.

As far as officers in personal vehicles, the charger/chry 300, new & old mustang GTs / cameros, are the big ones to watch for, and still wary of large v8ed suvs explorer, tahoe?, highlander. I am 90% sure that their vehicles must have v8s. it sure seems like it.

i can't talk about windward too much, as i usualy don't go through there as much. i have not looked out for cameras.
So in conclution to my radar detector shpeel: if you get a radar detector for $80, it could be saving you money here and if you want your nice new detector to look nice, lemmy know and i'll help you hardwire it & put it in some time.
[/b]
Sounds good braddah man, you have a Valentine One? I'll probably have to buy one when I get home, I have a hard time not accelerating....but 75?? SHeesh that's fast!! I think the only time I really ever drove fast for a long period of time was when we drove from Anchorage, AK all the way to Whitehorse, Canada. Don't ask me why for I don't even know, ( My 28 friend has a 19 year old gf and in Canada 19 is legal drinking age) so we basically drove 14 hours from Anchorage there at about an average of 90, and the way home made it back in 11 hours at an average of about 110mph. This was in an 06 Nissan X-Terra, man can that thing go. I'll hit you up when I get home, but I have like 20 other parts I need to install before I do this radar one. For sure I'll be installing a radar detector though....thanx braddah man!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts