Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the ClutchMasters FX200 supposed to have some light chattering at low RPM? Mine is very new, and chatters lightly when engaging below 2000RPM. It seems normal to me, but I just want to see if anyone else can attest to this.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Some times, when breaking in new clutches, they will chatter and it should go away.

My stock clutch has moderate chaddering. I hate this fucking thing. I can't wait to get a Stage 3 or 4 clutch.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
QUOTE (fly757 @ Oct 6 2008, 11:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1453134
Is the ClutchMasters FX200 supposed to have some light chattering at low RPM? Mine is very new, and chatters lightly when engaging below 2000RPM. It seems normal to me, but I just want to see if anyone else can attest to this.[/b]

QUOTE (fly757 @ Oct 7 2008, 12:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1454003
Practically brand new. Less than 500 miles.[/b]
Normal,
It will go away after a while

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
QUOTE (Front 1ine @ Oct 8 2008, 11:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1454836
What stageclutch would you guys recommend me getting if I am looking for the best match between performance and daily traffic comfort. I know I am gtting at least stage 2, but would a stage 3 clutch be really herky jerky?[/b]

Stage 2 or 3.

Great NY has a stage 3 and loves it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
And make sure it's sprung. Unsprung clutches suck for daily driving.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I like my stage 3 also. If I were to do it again, I'm not sure if I'd go 2 or 3. 3 is supposed to have more life for the same price, that's why I went with it. Its easy enough to drive even with the fidanza flywheel.

edit: I think I'd go with a different material than kevlar next time if I ever got another clutch. Just another thought.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (xshellshock @ Oct 8 2008, 02:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1454992
I like my stage 3 also. If I were to do it again, I'm not sure if I'd go 2 or 3. 3 is supposed to have more life for the same price, that's why I went with it. Its easy enough to drive even with the fidanza flywheel.

edit: I think I'd go with a different material than kevlar next time if I ever got another clutch. Just another thought.[/b]

So why no love for the kevlar? I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff and my clutch is slipping, so I'm going to be getting myself a new one, hopefully, a new flywheel, and definitely a phantom grip.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
QUOTE (dfw6er @ Oct 8 2008, 03:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1455015
So why no love for the kevlar? I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff and my clutch is slipping, so I'm going to be getting myself a new one, hopefully, a new flywheel, and definitely a phantom grip.[/b]

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775679

that link gives a LOT of good info on clutches.

Its weird, cause I just read that and you can def feel it glaze over in traffic after a while. I always noticed it got "softer" so to speak and felt better after I had a chance to romp on it again. I never really understood why until now. It engages nicely though if you know how to let it out even in traffic. I just worry with it that I'll slip it too hard sometime and cook it. I do like the clutch a lot besides the glazing part. I'd mostly go ceramic next time cause it seems to suit my needs and give another material a shot really. See if I like it better or not, you know?

edit: Its a good clutch, so don't let this seem like I'm saying its not, I'm just always up for experimenting with new things.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some thoughts that I'd like to share on the chattering issue. You may support, object to, or flame them as you please.

The chattering comes and goes. I believe it is a function of how glazed the surface of the clutch disc is. After a good hard launch, it feels normal again for the next 20 or so engagements. Then you gradually feel the onset of the chattering again. Not too bad though. I feel as though a nice strong launch is required every now and again to "resurface" the clutch disc. Does this make any sense? Or does it sound like I'm smoking bongs?

The clutch itself grabs very nicely when put to the test. I have the Exedy flywheel as well. The feel of this setup is an overall improvement over stock! Acceleration is noticeably better. Shifting quality is just as good or better than stock. Just hoping that it stays reliable.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, mine has been chattering on a consistent basis now. After the car is warmed up it's not as bad, but there's always some chattering at the lower RPM. Like below 2000 when accelerating from a stop. No idea if it's the clutch, or the flywheel, or if I fucked something up during installation. Starting to piss me off though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
quick question i just dont know when should replace my clutch? im kinda new in stick shift so hope u guys dont mind answer this question

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nobody minds answering your quesions guy, but you are totally off topic here. Your question has been discussed dozens of times already. Search first. If you can't find what you're looking for, then post in the "Newbie" section.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sorry that I keep kicking around this topic. Not a very fruitful thread, I know. But unfortunately this chatter/shudder problem seems to be getting worse, and I really want to figure it out before I tear my car apart all over again.

I was wondering if the lower engine mount could be part of my problem. I still have the stock engine mount. Perhaps the stock mount allows too much engine movement when I engage the clutch causing the shaking. Is that a possiblity? Would the CPE potentially improve this?

My other thought is that my exedy flywheel is warped. Either it was warped before install, or has become warped through repeated heat cycles. The exedy flywheel that I installed was not machined because I figured a brand new flywheel would be ready to go. Is this true?

·
Registered
69 Posts
QUOTE (fly757 @ Nov 15 2008, 04:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1476838
I'm sorry that I keep kicking around this topic. Not a very fruitful thread, I know. But unfortunately this chatter/shudder problem seems to be getting worse, and I really want to figure it out before I tear my car apart all over again.

I was wondering if the lower engine mount could be part of my problem. I still have the stock engine mount. Perhaps the stock mount allows too much engine movement when I engage the clutch causing the shaking. Is that a possiblity? Would the CPE potentially improve this?

My other thought is that my exedy flywheel is warped. Either it was warped before install, or has become warped through repeated heat cycles. The exedy flywheel that I installed was not machined because I figured a brand new flywheel would be ready to go. Is this true?[/b]
What happened with your issue?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
dannyac
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing