Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 6
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, trying to figure out what kind of measurements I want for my future wheels. I'm looking more towards either a 17 or 18 in rim with atleast an 8" width. One thing I'm super uncertain of though is the offset. I want to keep the cars body looking stock as well as having some meatier tires on since this is my daily but I want the rims to have a nice fitment as well. I do plan on lowering so I expect if I leave the stock wheels on while it's lowered the wheels will be too far inside the wheel well for how I'd want it to look. Any pictures of your setups and what measurements they are are greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
17,752 Posts
8" - 8.5" width you'll want a +35 - 40 offset to be nice and flush. Either width would work while lowered but 8.5" on +35 might rub a bit, so +40 would be more comfortable. Check my build page out for my setup and see what you're working with - personally think I'm as flush/oem as possible while going wider.

·
Registered
2016 6
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8" - 8.5" width you'll want a +35 - 40 offset to be nice and flush. Either width would work while lowered but 8.5" on +35 might rub a bit, so +40 would be more comfortable. Check my build page out for my setup and see what you're working with - personally think I'm as flush/oem as possible while going wider.
Alright I'll probably go with +40 just to be safe, and after looking at your setup I'm wondering if a 19 or 20 in wheel would be better. Have you damaged the wheels at all? Being in NE, the roads are pretty rough so I wanna have a decent sized sidewall.

·
Super Moderator
17,752 Posts
Alright I'll probably go with +40 just to be safe, and after looking at your setup I'm wondering if a 19 or 20 in wheel would be better. Have you damaged the wheels at all? Being in NE, the roads are pretty rough so I wanna have a decent sized sidewall.
Personal opinion: 20s look best on this car because they fill the wheel well perfectly.

Reality: Yup, I bent a rim on a gnarly pothole and I'll (likely) be going back down to 19s for the summer. I run 17s in the winter to give me extra padding. Though, the one that bent my TSW was so big it probably would've bent even an 18" - Multiple cars in a row got it with me.

·
Registered
2016 6
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personal opinion: 20s look best on this car because they fill the wheel well perfectly.

Reality: Yup, I bent a rim on a gnarly pothole and I'll (likely) be going back down to 19s for the summer. I run 17s in the winter to give me extra padding. Though, the one that bent my TSW was so big it probably would've bent even an 18" - Multiple cars in a row got it with me.
Jeez that hole must've been out for revenge for something lol. I haven't really decided on a wheel or design yet so who knows what I'll pick, I just want the car to look good and function just as well. Also with the OVTune would you think 8" or 8.5" would be the better choice?

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
220 Posts
I'm on 17x8.5 +42 (MotegiRacing Ultra lights), with 235/50R17 General G-max, and LOVE this setup, -10lbs/wheel, grip all over the place in any conditions
Once I burn through these tires I'm considering running 255/45R17 next (should be good with the 8.5 rim)

20210130_164154___.jpg vlcsnap-2020-12-07.jpg 20201209_074729.jpg

Reactions: Trollz3457

·
Registered
2016 6
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm on 17x8.5 +42 (MotegiRacing Ultra lights), with 235/50R17 General G-max, and LOVE this setup, -10lbs/wheel, grip all over the place in any conditions
Once I burn through these tires I'm considering running 255/45R17 next (should be good with the 8.5 rim)

View attachment 242168 View attachment 242169 View attachment 242171
I have seen a few motegi wheels that I may consider, and it does look like the wheel fits the wheel well very well. Are the wheels durable? Like have you bent any of them or had any issues with damage?

·
Super Moderator
17,752 Posts
Jeez that hole must've been out for revenge for something lol. I haven't really decided on a wheel or design yet so who knows what I'll pick, I just want the car to look good and function just as well. Also with the OVTune would you think 8" or 8.5" would be the better choice?
Yeah it was def the biggest I've ever hit. Pouring rain, late at night, construction diverted us to the breakdown lane on a highway - never had a chance.

8 is fine but personally I love the 8.5 because 255 tires fit great on it and they really hug the road. OVTune is more for that low-end torque, but it'll never be enough to require wider tires.

I have seen a few motegi wheels that I may consider, and it does look like the wheel fits the wheel well very well. Are the wheels durable? Like have you bent any of them or had any issues with damage?
I ran Motegis on my 1st gen and liked them a lot. Seemed pretty durable but weren't nearly as light as my nurbies - those are something like 13lbs lighter than oem despite being 1" larger and wider. OEM rims are pretty heavy, 19s are something like 35lbs each.

·
Registered
2016 6
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it was def the biggest I've ever hit. Pouring rain, late at night, construction diverted us to the breakdown lane on a highway - never had a chance.

8 is fine but personally I love the 8.5 because 255 tires fit great on it and they really hug the road. OVTune is more for that low-end torque, but it'll never be enough to require wider tires.

I ran Motegis on my 1st gen and liked them a lot. Seemed pretty durable but weren't nearly as light as my nurbies - those are something like 13lbs lighter than oem despite being 1" larger and wider. OEM rims are pretty heavy, 19s are something like 35lbs each.
I'll definitely take all this into account, I really want wheels that resemble like the 6 spoke skyline wheels, I think they'd look great but there doesn't really seem to be many similar wheels available so I guess I'll just wait and see what comes by in the future.

·
Super Moderator
17,752 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,752 Posts
This thing is cool, it sucks that it's practically impossibly to tell what the black wheels look like but oh well. And #137 might've been my favorite lol.
Yeah, it was something I whipped up quickly in my free time. Def could be way better but, at the time, the demand was so high that I had to do it quickly. There are some websites that let you do the same thing with select amounts of rims and they do a much better job.

·
Registered
2016 6
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it was something I whipped up quickly in my free time. Def could be way better but, at the time, the demand was so high that I had to do it quickly. There are some websites that let you do the same thing with select amounts of rims and they do a much better job.
Oh damn I didn’t realize you made all that, I thought it was just some hyper link since ai’ve seen similar things on other sites like you said, still awesome though.

·
Super Moderator
17,752 Posts
Oh damn I didn’t realize you made all that, I thought it was just some hyper link since ai’ve seen similar things on other sites like you said, still awesome though.
Yeah, it's all in a photoshop file I've got. People started asking for what the car would look like lowered varying amounts or with different caliper colors, tint, etc. Still happy to do them but, as you can see, it's fairly limited. Hardest part was getting adequate images of all the rims so I could put them on the car properly.

Happy to do much better quality ones too if you can find/provide the images, even if it's your own car.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
220 Posts
They've held up great, only had them for about a year, they've been through a few autocross events and a lot of spirited canyon/street driving without any problem. I did have an incident in slushy snow where I slid hard into a curb, thought for sure I bent it, but just a scratch, so I was pleased with that!

Reactions: Trollz3457
1 - 15 of 15 Posts