Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seen the latest issue of Car and Driver? There is a custom wagon called the Futura Sprint GT/A Wagon (or something like that) that is based on the 2006 Mazda6 Wagon. I didn't notice at first until I was checking out the interior pics and saw the obvious center console, although modified. Could there be life yet for the recently discovered discontinued 6 Wagon?

The Futura name will not be used as discussed in a few other threads here, thanks to Pep Boys's tires, but maybe as a Fusion wagon?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Rumor has it, that this will be the last model year of the wagon. With the new CX7 and CX9, it makes a great deal of sense from a sales standpoint. The wagon sales are slow and with the new crossovers coming out, the wagon sales would more than likely be marginal at best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, back to the original topic, did anyone else also notice that the engine is described as a Miller Cycle V6 with 245hp? Looks to me like the original Taurus SHO engine...or at least the intake plumbing on top does...which was originally developed by Yamaha...but I digress once again.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I think Mercury would be a great marque to sell wagon variants through.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So, back to the original topic, did anyone else also notice that the engine is described as a Miller Cycle V6 with 245hp? Looks to me like the original Taurus SHO engine...or at least the intake plumbing on top does...which was originally developed by Yamaha...but I digress once again.
[/b]
May 2006 Car & Driver? I have it in front of me and don't see anything. What page is it on?

·
Registered
747 Posts
bringing back the Futura name?

anyone remember these (and the Zephyr Z7 - the "basket-handle" cars)??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
May 2006 Car & Driver? I have it in front of me and don't see anything. What page is it on?
[/b]

Sorry, it is the June 2006 issue. C&D has my delivery date all messed up so I get the next month's issue even earlier than I used to. I got June's this Monday April 24, so maybe I am the one person with the June 2006 issue already?

The full name of the car is the Ford Futura Sprint GT/A. The article is very vague about the nature of the vehicle's producer. Is it a Ford? Is it a kit car? I would guess the latter since it is available as components only: chassis, engine, interior bits, etc... and not as a complete car.

The author of the article mentions it resembles a 6 Wagon but claims it is based on a European Ford model even though the dash and center console is clearly taken straight from a 2006 Mazda6 and the tail lights appear to be taken from the Fusion sedan.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
bringing back the Futura name?

anyone remember these (and the Zephyr Z7 - the "basket-handle" cars)??

[/b]
Yeah... a friend of mine's parents had a Fairmont Futura and a regular Fairmont coupe.

Of course all 1982 Fairmonts were Fairmont Futuras.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
PLEASE tell me that interior is a photoshop joke!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The article is meant to be a joke, but I do not know who the joke is on, we the readers or Ford?
[/b]
LMAO.....Looks like a 6 had sex with a Fusion. The interior is priceless!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
90 Posts
And no comments about the suicide doors? :huh:
[/b]
You should see the "pic" of the other side. It's a two door wagon on the passenger side.

In the specs it lists under chassis, "unit construction with 4 rubber-isolated dwarf-like subframes made by Home Depot". Under rear brakes, "8.0 x 2.5 in bass drums".

The pic of the engine shows the old Taurus SHO Yamaha designed engine (yeah, I wish).

I guess John Phillips missed his deadline for the April (fools) issue...by about two months. :slap:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My favorite is the exhaust exit...
Someone needs to post a pic of the passenger side.

In addition to having a single door on the pass. side they also have the exhaust exit coming out of the right rear fender approx in the same orientation that the gas filler door is on the drivers side....

Curtis.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should see the "pic" of the other side. It's a two door wagon on the passenger side.

In the specs it lists under chassis, "unit construction with 4 rubber-isolated dwarf-like subframes made by Home Depot". Under rear brakes, "8.0 x 2.5 in bass drums".

The pic of the engine shows the old Taurus SHO Yamaha designed engine (yeah, I wish).

I guess John Phillips missed his deadline for the April (fools) issue...by about two months. :slap:
[/b]
I have to admit I had to double check the calendar too thinking it was some sort of April Fools joke. I did also notice a few of the odd technical specifications listed, but that is typical C&D humor for a non-production vehicle or unique one-offs or other strange contraptions they occasionally test.

So, I don't think it is a joke...but what is it, really? The article even mentions the intake resembling a nest os snakes (or something like that), but it is clearly the SHO, not the Miller Cycle engine it is described as, unless it is a Miller with the SHO intake. Weird.

I guess we'll have to wait for the July issue for the editor's responses to the many letters I am sure he will receive about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
graz34
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing