Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using either of these? Had a Fumutovalve on my last vehicle. No problems. Considering the Fram Sure Drain as I can pick it up locally. I'm pretty sure it's the 107 for Fumuto . Anyone know the correct Fram model number?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Anyone using either of these? Had a Fumutovalve on my last vehicle. No problems. Considering the Fram Sure Drain as I can pick it up locally. I'm pretty sure it's the 107 for Fumuto . Anyone know the correct Fram model number?
[/b]
A few members and I have had good experiences with the Fumoto valve. It sure makes oil changes easier and cleaner. Check out my sig for the part number. You can get the N-type valve with the nipple as well, and I imagine that comes in handy for taking UOA samples.

I've never worked with the Fram product, so I can't comment.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Fumoto Valve scares me. IN a place where it's not uncommon to drive with 8-10 inches of snow on the ground, I could easily see the Fumoto valve being opened as it's scraped over the snow. That would be a BAD thing. If I lived in a warmer climate, I could see it being very useful though.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
The Fumoto Valve scares me. IN a place where it's not uncommon to drive with 8-10 inches of snow on the ground, I could easily see the Fumoto valve being opened as it's scraped over the snow. That would be a BAD thing. If I lived in a warmer climate, I could see it being very useful though.
[/b]
I have it installed in such a way that the valve lever is at the top thereby minimizing any contact with whatever is on the road.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Are you sure about the model number? The FumotoUSA.com website shows that all Mazdas '95 and newer use the F106, not the F107.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know you guys searched this fine site and are pulling my leg....
[/b]
No, I didn't search anything. I simply assumed the manufacturer of the product would know which item should be purchased.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have the Fumoto F106 + ADP106 installed on my '06 6i and a F107 on my other car, a '95 Saturn SL1. No issues at all, and both have the lever sitting below the drain, parallel to the road. I haven't seen any Fram SureDrains in a couple years.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I bought two FRAM SD-2s as a package off eBay for $12 shipped. They should be here any day. The SD-2 is 14mm x 1.5, which is supposed to the right one for our Mazdas too. My son is going to put one on his Legend Coupe (my old car) to bypass the stock drain plug, which got stripped by some quickie style lube place. We're going to clean up the threads and use some JB Weld to build up enough threads to get the Fram to stay in place, then drain oil without ever having to unscrew the plug from the oilpan again.

I'm thinking I might put the 2nd one on my '97 Probe GT (which is essentially a Mazda under the skin). If it works well I might put one on the Speed6 down the road. For now I'm going to leave the stock oil drain plug in place just in case there are any warranty issues.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
My son is going to put one on his Legend Coupe (my old car) to bypass the stock drain plug, which got stripped by some quickie style lube place. We're going to clean up the threads and use some JB Weld to build up enough threads to get the Fram to stay in place, then drain oil without ever having to unscrew the plug from the oilpan again. [/b]
I don't know how good an idea that is. If you are going to attempt to repair the threads, try using a helicoil. From my experiences its just as strong as the original hole. I've seen them even used in headbolt applications. Personally i'd just tap the hole the next size larger and get the falve that fits accordingly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts