Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of installing the Fumoto F106s. Anyone try this product yet?

Will it fit the 3rd generation Mazda 6? Does it need the fumoto adapter?

·
Super Moderator
17,855 Posts
I'm not sure about the 106S but I have been running the 106N for years and haven't had a single issue.

·
Registered
2016 6
371 Posts
So I actually bought a fumoto valve a while back but I've been hesitant to install it as I'm worried it won't be able to drain all the oil out since it wouldn't be at the same angle as where the oil comes out with the normal drain plug. Has anyone dropped a pan after having the valve installed to see if there's any gunk build up?

·
Super Moderator
17,855 Posts
So I actually bought a fumoto valve a while back but I've been hesitant to install it as I'm worried it won't be able to drain all the oil out since it wouldn't be at the same angle as where the oil comes out with the normal drain plug. Has anyone dropped a pan after having the valve installed to see if there's any gunk build up?
I've not but it's a good point to bring up. @tickerguy runs one too and has been for a while, maybe he's dropped the pan.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Nope.

But I have had mine on the car since its first oil change and there's exactly zero evidence of any sort of problem with oil quality; I do send it out once a year for analysis.

With a vehicle that has it well-protected from impact damage (as is the case for the Gen 3 "6") I'll never own a vehicle without one again. That and a gallon ziplok around the oil filter make an oil change something you can do without using a drain pan (!!!!) and only a few drops will get on your garage floor.

Short of VW's thoughtfulness (cannister oil filter, mounted up top you can get to from the top, and using an oil sucker down the dipstick hole means the bolt NEVER COMES OUT OF THE PAN AT ALL) this is the LEAST-mess way to handle oil changes I've been able to enjoy.

Speaking of that VW diesel it's got roughly 300,000 miles on it (now my daughter's) and the bolt has NEVER been out of the oil pan. Not once in 18 years.

·
Super Moderator
17,855 Posts
With a vehicle that has it well-protected from impact damage (as is the case for the Gen 3 "6") I'll never own a vehicle without one again. That and a gallon ziplok around the oil filter make an oil change something you can do without using a drain pan (!!!!) and only a few drops will get on your garage floor.
I love this car's oil change, super easy.

Don't ever buy a Tacoma, just sayin'. I swear they had board meetings to figure out the WORST possible way to cleanly change a vehicle's oil. I'm at the point that I put plastic/cardboard on the ground before the change because it's impossible NOT to make a mess with their horrendous design.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I'm not sure about the 106S but I have been running the 106N for years and haven't had a single issue.
Yep, thats what i got too. Installed it last weekend and thought my small leak was from the drain plug so i didnt change the filter. Turns out it was the filter so had to drain and reuse the oil i just put in it lol. Im not used to having to almost torque the filter down, it was usually hand tight and then a 1/4 turn. Used a rachet and end wrench to tighten till it wouldnt move and then double check.

·
Registered
2016 6
371 Posts
Yep, thats what i got too. Installed it last weekend and thought my small leak was from the drain plug so i didnt change the filter. Turns out it was the filter so had to drain and reuse the oil i just put in it lol. Im not used to having to almost torque the filter down, it was usually hand tight and then a 1/4 turn. Used a rachet and end wrench to tighten till it wouldnt move and then double check.
Honestly that's exactly how mazda wants you to tighten it in the manual but I just hand tighten it until it don't turn anymore and just leave it at that, never had an issue on any car I've ever worked on lol.

·
Registered
2016 6
371 Posts
And in regards to Ticker never having any issues with oil buildup/draining and having read your past posts about the lab testing reassures me that I can add this and not have any issues. I'll be doing it next time I change the oil which will be in another 2.5k miles or so.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Honestly that's exactly how mazda wants you to tighten it in the manual but I just hand tighten it until it don't turn anymore and just leave it at that, never had an issue on any car I've ever worked on lol.
Well, i havent played for a while, but im a drummer and have a really good grip and it felt tight (140psi in my right, 110 in my left), but leaked under pressure i guess and didnt till i changed the oil myself the last time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am thinking of installing the Fumoto F106s. Anyone try this product yet?

Will it fit the 3rd generation Mazda 6? Does it need the fumoto adapter?
I just installed a Fumoto 106SX on my 2016 Mazda6. Installation was a breeze. No need for an adapter you just need to have the oil filter removed when installing. Make sure you torque the valve down to the specific ft pounds for your particular model 18ft pounds for the 106sx....good luck.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I just installed a Fumoto 106SX on my 2016 Mazda6. Installation was a breeze. No need for an adapter you just need to have the oil filter removed when installing. Make sure you torque the valve down to the specific ft pounds for your particular model 18ft pounds for the 106sx....good luck.
Why didnt you just use the straight one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 106SX allows you to point it at any angle (spins freely) when not fully tighten down. Where as the original 106S drains straight outwards. IDK I just figured having the valve pointing straight downward would allow me to drain the oil pan completely down to the last drop. Something I like to do when doing my oil changes.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The 106SX allows you to point it at any angle (spins freely) when not fully tighten down. Where as the original 106S drains straight outwards. IDK I just figured having the valve pointing straight downward would allow me to drain the oil pan completely down to the last drop. Something I like to do when doing my oil changes.
Nope, cause of the bolt restricting more than the straight valve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any advantage of the fumoto
N? Over the S? For a Mazda 6.
No real advantage. The N has a 15mm hose nipple where the S is 5mm. The S is for vehicles with low ground clearance. On our 3rd gen 6 it shouldn't be an issue as the drain hole points straight out slightly parallel to the ground. The SX I have installed barely touches the plastic cover...no issues though.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts

I also bought the SX as I wanted to make sure it won't "bump" the cover. What actually happened is that the SX "will not fit" with the cover.

I wasn't able to put back the cover because it is protruding. I plan to buy the S variant because I want to use the cover. I don't see any problem if I were not to put back the cover but I just want it back.

Any advantage of the fumoto
N? Over the S? For a Mazda 6.
As for the N vs S, I have no idea. I mean, I haven't seen both so I can't answer the question.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts