Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is about time to do my oil change, you don't want to know how many miles since my last one. I am torn between a fully syn and a syn blend plus additives. I have been told that you still have to change the filter after 5000mi regardless of the oil type. So my question is this; What is the point of getting the expensive 20000mi Mobil one when it still has to be changed after 5000mi? How do the syn blends with additives do against fully syn? And one last question just for fun: How many miles have you guys gone a single oil change, fully syn or otherwise?

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is about time to do my oil change, you don't want to know how many miles since my last one. I am torn between a fully syn and a syn blend plus additives. I have been told that you still have to change the filter after 5000mi regardless of the oil type. So my question is this; What is the point of getting the expensive 20000mi Mobil one when it still has to be changed after 5000mi? How do the syn blends with additives do against fully syn? And one last question just for fun: How many miles have you guys gone a single oil change, fully syn or otherwise?
[/b]
From what you wrote/heard i'd guess the advantage of only having to change your oil every 20,000 miles is that you only have to change your filter every 5K and not all the oil in the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what you wrote/heard i'd guess the advantage of only having to change your oil every 20,000 miles is that you only have to change your filter every 5K and not all the oil in the car.
[/b]
I think changing the filter requires that all the oil be changed. If you take off the filter all the oil is going to come out??

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
if you use fully synthetic, you can go to 7500 miles with no problem. You can go longer but not recommended if your car is still under warranty.

if you want to change your oil at 5000 miles, you can use regular or semi-synthetic. They'll do fine. If you want to go this route, I recommend Motorcraft 5W-20 oil. Excellent cheap oil.

Regarding changing filter without changing oil, you can do this but you need to add about 0.5 quart since you'll lose this much when changing the filter. But if you're changing oil every 5000 or 7500 miles, there's no need to do this.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"I have been told that you still have to change the filter after 5000mi regardless of the oil type."

By whom? Why would you need to change the filter? Are the filters that crappy that they will not hold up for much more than 5000 mi?

It seems to me that it is generally accepted that at least 10K mi (and 12 mo.) is no problem for synthetic. But if your car is under warranty, you should follow the manufacturer's requirements.

Since it sounds like you don't get around to changing oil often, synthetic might be a good option.

If there is a legitmate reason to change the filter at 5000 miles, then maybe synthetic is not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
"I have been told that you still have to change the filter after 5000mi regardless of the oil type."

By whom? Why would you need to change the filter? Are the filters that crappy that they will not hold up for much more than 5000 mi?
If there is a legitmate reason to change the filter at 5000 miles, then maybe synthetic is not worth the trouble.
[/b]
Changing the oil filter every OCI is always must given it filters a lot of things out of the oil. Lubricants like oil needs to be clean for it to do its job. That's just common sense auto maintenance 101 stuff.

So my question is this; What is the point of getting the expensive 20000mi Mobil one when it still has to be changed after 5000mi?[/b]
The Extended Life Mobil 1 is 15,000 miles. Regardless...

It seems to me that it is generally accepted that at least 10K mi (and 12 mo.) is no problem for synthetic.
..Since it sounds like you don't get around to changing oil often, synthetic might be a good option.
[/b]
Extend your OCI's only if you're monitoring your wear and tear via used oil analyses (UOA's). IMHO, the extended life claim is a marketing malarkey to cover that sector of the market that are just plain lazy and/or don't give a damn about their engines. Real car guys get EL M1 for its ability to withstand heat and it's excellent UOA's. People, lazy ones for that matter, who don't know better get EL M1 to extend their OCI's. In short: n00bs extend OCI's with M1, pros buy M1 for its UOA's.

Personally, I feel that my engine is much smoother with syn. I wouldn't extend my OCI's, because I love the smoothness of the engine after every oil change.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Extend your OCI's only if you're monitoring your wear and tear via used oil analyses (UOA's). IMHO, the extended life claim is a marketing malarkey to cover that sector of the market that are just plain lazy and/or don't give a damn about their engines. Real car guys get EL M1 for its ability to withstand heat and it's excellent UOA's. People, lazy ones for that matter, who don't know better get EL M1 to extend their OCI's. In short: n00bs extend OCI's with M1, pros buy M1 for its UOA's.

Personally, I feel that my engine is much smoother with syn. I wouldn't extend my OCI's, because I love the smoothness of the engine after every oil change.
[/b]
Nice explanation!

It seems to me that it is generally accepted that at least 10K mi (and 12 mo.) is no problem for synthetic. But if your car is under warranty, you should follow the manufacturer's requirements.

Since it sounds like you don't get around to changing oil often, synthetic might be a good option.

[/b]
Just as a rule of thumb, changing your oil filter every oil change is a simple, common, preventitive, maintenance practice. For around $10 an oil change, it won't hurt and will spare you some money in the long run from preventing problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.