Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Reading Topic: Full size spare tire

i tried it before. and it fits well..
didnt see any difference with the standard wheels though..

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

My dealer says it fits, but there's one small piece of plastic (or metal) you may have to cut. My dealer said it was no problem though.

I'm sure your dealer can help you with that if you don't want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

JEJE In Panama the 6 come with the original spare wheel 205/55 R16
TOMAS

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Full size spare tire'

Tomas, u lucky guys in Panama. In the US, we have a democratic government where our input matters :sarc , but sometimes with products and cars, what we want is overlooked or mistaken as something else. As for the 6, of course none of us would want a full size spare, or our choice of leather seating color (w/ sport package); or lower foglights (w/ same package); or the option of those nice euro-tails, or stiffer suspension... you get the idea.

OK, yall, that was my rant for the day. My mother managed to pi$$ me off on Mother's Day and I couldn't take it out on her...:D .

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

IT DOES NOT FIT!!!

(at least in the Canadian Mazda6 version)

I just bought four winter tires (205/65R15 tires on 15x6JJ steel rim 55 mm neg offset). I was hoping to be able to put one of these wheel in the truck as a full size emergency spare tyre during summer.

Although the openning under the floor is big enought to take the tyre (diameter wise); the hole is not deep enough. Currently the tire is too wide (205 mm) so the trunk mat is raised by 1.5 inches (approx 4 cm).

This is not okay with me. I want to retain the full size trunk. So I give up on taking a full size winter wheel as a full size emergency tyre during the summer (and vice versa).

Anyhow be advice that a full size tire does not really fit in the trunk as a replacement to the current small size emergency tire.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

This is the original wheel 205/55R16 inside the trunk. In Panama come with the same size. This is the case of Japanese cars. From USA most of them come with the little wheel

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reading Topic: Full

Is it because the NA mazda6 has a bigger fuel tank that the hole in the trunk for the spare tire is smaller?

The North America Mazda6 has a 68 liters fuel tank while in other countries is a 64 liters. That may explain why.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

Japanese and european versions = 64 liters

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

But.----here you buy a USA car like Cavalier, Neon and come with a little car. In Europe also Mazda 6 come with little wheel (Spain)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

instead little car is little wheel, sorry

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

The fuel tank is mounted in front of the rear axle, so I don't think it got anything to do wit that...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

...sooo, no one has any idea if a full size tire (16" or 17") will fit in the NA M6? Or has it been concluded that it does not and we're just trying to figure out why?

·
Registered
167 Posts

i would try this but i don't have my car yet. why doesn't someone jack up there car, take off one of there wheels, and see if it fits in there?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reading Topic: Full

It is not a question of either 16 or 17" rim. The overall wheel (wheel = rim + tire) diameter is 25.5" for both. It is a question of tire width. The 16" wheel comes with 205 mm wide tire, while the 17" comes with 215 mm wide tires. The space in the trunk is only 150 mm deep. If you put a 16" wheel, be prepared to see the mat raised by 55 mm (2.25 ") which is 205-150=55 mm.

Current spare tire is 115 mm wide (115/70R15). So there is a 35 mm gap which is filled by a plastic cover that also make the trunk floor flat.

I am going to write to Mazda about my grief on this issue. I can live with the fact that the car does not come with a full size spare, but that there is not enough space to fit one, I don accept it. They assume that if you get a flat, you can always stop to the nearest garage. But I am sorry when I leave on a Sunday night my girlfriend house at 10 p.m. to get home at 1 a.m. (300 km appart); if I am going to get a flat they would not be any garage open at that time of the week and of the day. And I am not interested to drive at 50 km/h (speed limit on the spare) for 6 hours (particuliarly during winter)!

·
Registered
383 Posts

Originally posted by MazdaForLife
And I am not interested to drive at 50 km/h (speed limit on the spare) for 6 hours (particuliarly during winter)![/b]
Isn't it always winter at the North Pole?? ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts

I had two separate dealers tell me that a full size wheel would fit. When I purchased, there was a little bag in the back with a part to put the full size wheel in there, instead of the smaller spare.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Full

Yes I had it too. This is to secure the full size tire while the emergency tire is under your car until you get it fix. The full size tire will still raise the trunk mat. That is okay as a temporary measure but not if you intend to keep a full size spare.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Originally posted by pgmr

Originally posted by MazdaForLife
And I am not interested to drive at 50 km/h (speed limit on the spare) for 6 hours (particuliarly during winter)![/b]
Isn't it always winter at the North Pole?? ;)[/b][/quote]

Actually not. Even at the North Pole, there is a summer. Summer and winter are defined in regard to your location and the earth inclination (and not by tempature). :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts