Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much should I expect to pay for a full exterior detail by a pro? I'm talking full buff, claybar, wax, etc?

I just washed my car and I was digusted by how bad my paints looking right now. I hate dark colors. Never again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
im gonna say do it yourself.

if u want them to claybar it im sure they will charge you a pretty penny as its a time consuming no fun process.

i say wash (i really like the ICE car wash from turtle wax), clay bar, and buff with some good quality wax.

its time consuming but itll be worth it (btw i love detailing and waxing a car but i cannot stand claybar-zero fun sir)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I hate doing all of it lol.
I don't mind paying a pretty penny once in a blue moon to make car look good.

·
Registered
583 Posts
This place by me was gonna charge me $200 to clay, polish & wax.
I said no thanks, for $200 I can buy years of detailing products and do it myself, may not have professional results, but $200 and it'll be dirty in a month or so or when winter hits, no thanks.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
$200 is insane! ive never heard of a such a ripoff.

a typical hand wax/polish with interior clean can be found as cheap as $80 bux. and can be as high as $140 or so. this is one thing that it definitely pays to ask around. if your local town has there own car forum, post a thread up there. local car guys would know where to go. ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

a typical hand wax/polish with interior clean can be found as cheap as $80 bux. and can be as high as $140 or so. this is one thing that it definitely pays to ask around. if your local town has there own car forum, post a thread up there. local car guys would know where to go. ;)
I really need serious full body buff. That won't go away after winter so to me it's nto that bad of an investment.

I have small scratches and scuffs ALL OVER my car. its gross.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
i was talking about the entire car. lol. what made you think i was talking about just part of it? ive never heard of any shops just doing sections of a car.

like i said, find a local car forum, and put a post up. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here's a few quick ones i found for you

forums.beyond.ca/

cscc.speedracer.ca/

www.calgaryunderground.com/
Thanks! Yeah I'm already on Beyond, just don't post there very often. It's actually a huge forum.

There the guys who busted the "claw". (the guy who stole a modded GT-R and then the whole forum worked recon across the city and busted him)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

Those "details" won't do shit for your paint. Hand polish is worthless for one. You get what you pay for. If you want swirls and scratches removed you won't get it from the detailing you're talking about. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that your car rolls out of there with micromarring and holograms in the paint.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
^

amazing, the wax, and polish i do every year clear up my swirl marks without an issue. i think ur using some crappy products if there useless to u. hell, i just took 2nd place at a 100+ car show last month with nothing more then a basic quick wax job that got rid of some scratch's i had. lol.

i havent clay barred the car in over two years. so its not like only a clay bar will do anything. hell, the only place my 6 has ever even removed anything with the claybar is on the front doors behind the front tires. no where else really has any build up.

·
Registered
676 Posts
yeah $200 for a full paint correction is on the high side but still seems about right to me depending on the quality of the work and amount of time put into it. I think $150 + would be about right. (these prices also include an interior detail). You would prob end up with the guy using M105/205 combo which is very effective in the right hands. However if you dont care about swirls, light scratches and holograms then I would just advise doing a wash-clay-wax yourself. You can expect to pay about $20/hr. So lets say the exterior takes 5-7 hours well thats $100-140 right there. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
572 Posts
holy crap then they are a complete rip off in GA, I've seen them for upwards of $300, consistently. IDK I do all that crap my self. If you do it yourself and put the time in condiser it punishment for letting it get that way and u won't let it get that way again LOL.

·
Registered
583 Posts
^

amazing, the wax, and polish i do every year clear up my swirl marks without an issue. i think ur using some crappy products if there useless to u. hell, i just took 2nd place at a 100+ car show last month with nothing more then a basic quick wax job that got rid of some scratch's i had. lol.

i havent clay barred the car in over two years. so its not like only a clay bar will do anything. hell, the only place my 6 has ever even removed anything with the claybar is on the front doors behind the front tires. no where else really has any build up.
Nice, I got one of them Mazda flags too.
If I show up to the EVOLV meet, I'll bring it. :)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
^

Cool. If you say so man. Wax has no abrasives so it's impossible to do any paint correction.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've been looking into this as well. Most of the places around here charge 200 for full detailing, interior vacuum and shampoo, clay bar, buff, wax, and polish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts