Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cp-e made an awesome product in their intake. Very nicely done. It has 3 inch piping and the heat shield keeping hot air from coming into the fender well. Price: $305+ depending where you get it (streetunit.com is the cheapest I found..

Fujita is a more common looking intake i.e. injen, AEM. It has a 2.75 inch piping. Price: 199 shipped on ebay, but I got mine for $225 shipped.

Differences: Performance wise, I really can't tell any difference between the two. If you think about it, the difference may be 1 or 2 hp at the most, maybe none at all. Also, via this forum, it is thought the fujita would run a little bit more rich then the Cp-e intake. This may be beneficial as you continue to add other parts which can lean out you a/f a bit. Sound-wise, the Fujita is louder. I don't know if it's the difference in filters that the two companies use, but the Fukita is without a doubt louder. For the price, I think the Fujita is well worth the money, and if I had 300+ sitting around, I would still go with the Fujita. I'd be the first person to back CP-E and there products, but an intake is an intake.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for being the first to have owned and tried both CAI. Which one are you using now? :)

There are the bench racers and real world daily drivers. Yes the small difference may win or lose a race when it comes to a tenth here or there, but in real world of light to light, on ramp to off ramp. Can anyone of us really tell the difference?

But you can't fight brand loyalty, that alone adds another 15 virtual HP you know :yesnod:

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are the bench racers and real world daily drivers. Yes the small difference may win or lose a race when it comes to a tenth here or there, but in real world of light to light, on ramp to off ramp. Can anyone of us really tell the difference?

[/b]
I am glad you brought this up. Helped me remember this is my daily use vehicle, and not my race car. No need to spend an extra $130.00 for a couple more HP.
I like CP-E, but for a street vehicle, another 1-4 hp is not going to do anything for a 3600lb car.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
249 Posts
Has anyone compare the sound between AEM and CPE? I found that AEM is much quieter than the CPE? Could the dry flow aif filter make it quieter? Or maybe becoz I have the water splash shield??

·
Registered
156 Posts
agreed, that 130 bucks can get you a boost controller and a nice gauge. 50-60hp in the top end right there alone
[/b]
So you read minds on the side?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've been waiting for 2 weeks for my CP-E from RPM. Maybe I'll just get the Fujita instead. I'm getting antsy!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just bought the cp-e because they are the only company right now that makes stuff for the MS6. But, your right, an intake is basically an intake.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Finally, a few of us who aren't whipping out the measuring sticks and plugging in computer models to calculate potential airflow characteristics to see if one CAI will beat the pants off the other due to 1-5 flywheel HP! :laugh:

If we were talking about 10-15 flywheel HP, then there may be something quantifiable, but I haven't seen that in any of the previous CAI discussions, but there were a whole bunch of schdick wagging though! :p But you have to love the amount of knowlege available from our members!

Money is money and at the end of the day, it is the upgrades per $$$ that will be winning the daily driver race for me. :drive:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Finally, a few of us who aren't whipping out the measuring sticks and plugging in computer models to calculate potential airflow characteristics to see if one CAI will beat the pants off the other due to 1-5 flywheel HP! :laugh:

If we were talking about 10-15 flywheel HP, then there may be something quantifiable, but I haven't seen that in any of the previous CAI discussions, but there were a whole bunch of schdick wagging though! :p But you have to love the amount of knowlege available from our members!

Money is money and at the end of the day, it is the upgrades per $$$ that will be winning the daily driver race for me. :drive:
[/b]
Im not a religous man, but aman anyway!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

[/b]
hey, was that a knock on me? :huh:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Has anyone compare the sound between AEM and CPE? I found that AEM is much quieter than the CPE? Could the dry flow aif filter make it quieter? Or maybe becoz I have the water splash shield??
[/b]

Yeah - I'd be interested in hearing about the difference in sound between the two, too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
hey, was that a knock on me? :huh:
[/b]
No way brother man I am not that smart, but it seems once the ball starts rolling about the physics behind a product design, people get too wrapped up in the numbers and not the intended application. Nothing wrong with that if the topic is calling for that, but if the original post was, "which CAI is better". Then the next question should be, in what respect?

How will you be driving your car?

I think as humans and enthusiasts, we all want what is the "best" for our money, and sometimes we try to justify our choices with equations and calculations. If this was an engineering challenge, there would be a clear winner. But if the original question asked was simply for what is a best choice for my daily driver car, the answer should have been simple.

If money and brand loyalty is not important, write the names down a separate pieces of paper, throw them into a fish bowl and pick one. You can't really go wrong given your intended use. :)

As you get older (much older), you start to learn things like pick the battles worth fighting. The wind will blow no matter what, so choose what is really important and focus on the task at hand, grasshopper... :yesnod:

Reminds me of a childhood story of a big rig that was a few inches too tall and the trailer hit an overpass and the big rig got stuck. Well, of course Caltrans sends out the road engineers, the truck mechanical technician, the safety inspector, and the CHP. Well after a few hours of traffic back up and the engineers all trying the figure out how to move the big rig without damaging too much of the existing over pass, a little boy in a passing car yells out the window, "why don't you just take the air out of the tires?"

Sometimes the obvious is not so... obvious. :sarc:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
this is pretty much the same logic i've been thinking about. in fact after reading the first post I found it on ebay and ordered it.

1 hp isn't worth $130.

·
Registered
431 Posts
this is pretty much the same logic i've been thinking about. in fact after reading the first post I found it on ebay and ordered it.

1 hp isn't worth $130.
[/b]
Great! Install it and enjoy it. That is the definition of "Import Tuning" isn't it? :D
The put the savings towards some springs or boost controller or shift knob..

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thanks for the review! I think I'm going to hold out and see what Injen ends up making for our cars, but it's nice to see a comparison from someone who actually bought both of them.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Does anyone know if Fujita is CARB certified? Have pity on us poor schmucks who live in the PRC (people's republic of california).

RPM told me that AEM is CARB pending but Mazdaspeed is the only CAI that's currently CARB certified.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts