Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone tried to replace the fuel pump in a Mazda 6 S 3.0 without buying the whole assembly. The assembly can be dissasembled. I have seen some possible options. My 6 is stumbling bad on accelleration and new plugs are white. Multiple misfire code. Also I don't see any fuel pressure tap to check pump output.

·
Registered
19 Posts
it could be a coil, try switching out the coil on which ever cylinder your getting the code for to one thats good and see if the code changes to the switched coils cylinder. 123 are in the back and 246 are in the front,
i had the same problem, it was fixed with new plugs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying play fast tom. I am not getting any specfic cylinder number.. I changed the plugs and the car stumbles when accelerating then levels out. I pulled the pump assemble and the filter was loaded. Cleaned the filter and pump and reinstalled to see if it ran any better. No luck. It drives ok except when you accellerate. Back off the throttle and it levels out. Spark pulgs a showing very lean as if it is not getting enough fuel. I supect the pump is not putting out enough but I have no way to test it. No fuel rail tap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could also be a sensor that is not getting the correct information to the pump. Could be an O2 sensor or maybe a MAF sensor. I am geeting a Lean Fuel code on mine and tried the O2 sensors, but to no avail. I am going to take a look at the MAF this weekend. Neither of these are cheap. The O2 sensors cost $160 for the one and $90 for the other. Installation is pretty easy at least.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
You can use a FI fuel pressure checker real quick. It can be spliced into on the fuel line Pre-FPR.

Could be the FPR
Could be the pump(not entirely uncommon)
could be the seals on the injectors not sealing properly and letting fuel out

there is a tap on SOME fuel rails which allow you to check fuel pressure, but based on what everyone has seen. If you have one you are the exception, not the rule.

also, the O3 fuel pump, and the 04+ are different assemblies so make sure you get the correct one. never seen anyone try to use the other, but they are different. Also, if you can get it apart, a walbro FP might be an option, though no one has yet successfully installed one.

what codes are you getting?

what kind of plugs are you running?

can you verify the lines are not blocked up given that you filter is nasty?

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
it could be a coil, try switching out the coil on which ever cylinder your getting the code for to one thats good and see if the code changes to the switched coils cylinder. 123 are in the back and 246 are in the front,
i had the same problem, it was fixed with new plugs
rear bank is 1 2 3 (passenger to driver side)
front bank is 4 5 6 (ditto)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts