Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting the stuttering at hard acceleration, and am thinking of replacing my fuel pump & filter. The instructions mention using a special tool though. I know Autozone/Advance Auto offer loaner tool programs, can I pick it up there? How has anyone done this in the past?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please, somebody!......Anybody!

I would love a point int the right direction. When I search for fuel pump replacement, I get no short of 20 results, but none ever give step by step directions.

·
Registered
163 Posts
how many miles? have you changed your plugs? my stutter was caused by old plugs and a couple of bad/going bad coils.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i've done it a couple times. first time with a big flat head screwdriver and mallet, which resulted in A LOT of blood. i did it the other day and used a supersized pair of Channel locks and only smashed one finger....so i'd go that route if you do want to take on the project.

haven't seen many NEED to do the pump, but it has happened.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
how many miles? have you changed your plugs? my stutter was caused by old plugs and a couple of bad/going bad coils.
^this!!! what yr+miles????

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not changed my plugs or wires, its on 04. Seems to have happened all of a sudden, not overtime, so I assumed the fuel pump. I will change the plugs & wires first. Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, do you need to replease the pressure in the tank? Will taking the cap off the filler be enough?

·
Registered
170 Posts
for my 05 6s the first steps in this repair are, remove the filler cap to release pressure in the tank, remove the fuel pump relay (located in the left side trim), start the engine and wait for it to stall, after it stalls crank the engine several times, turn the ignition switch to the lock position, then reinstall the fuel pump relay. Now remove the rear seat and get the fuel pump.

·
Registered
170 Posts
and unless you want to take the IM off again just cough up the dough for three coils. I get them for $35 cause i have a wholesale account with places but they are expensive at list price.

·
Registered
170 Posts
the three under the intake manifold. i do all my own work and i get stuff so cheap i replace hard to get to parts if the parts overlap other repair operations and if its cost effective for me. I really dont feel like taking the IM off three times (potentially), the front three are easy to get to so i would replace them as they fail. I understand not everyone does their own work nor has wholesale accounts so sometimes its just not cost effective. $105 more for 3 coils to guarentee me i dont need to take off the IM again is all i need to know when I'm replacing spark plugs.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Lol, it takes me less than 10 mins to remove my manifold and they don't fail fast enough for me to throw money away. 125k and Ive had 3 total go bad. 1 of which was under warranty.

One of the few things I pay full price for, and recently upgraded to 4V coils so hopefully they will last a bit longer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I work 12 hr days at the shop, and i have a baby boy i consider my best freind, i get to spend very little time with him bc of my job and other obligations to support my family, so if $105 dollars even potentially gives me 10 more minutes with my son for one day i dont consider that money spent to be a waste nor money thrown away.

So, to each his own i guess.

also, sorry to hear about the bs the dealer put you through and I'm glad you gave them shit. Thats exactly what everyone should do to keep those ass holes in check.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
for my 05 6s the first steps in this repair are, remove the filler cap to release pressure in the tank, remove the fuel pump relay (located in the left side trim), start the engine and wait for it to stall, after it stalls crank the engine several times, turn the ignition switch to the lock position, then reinstall the fuel pump relay. Now remove the rear seat and get the fuel pump.
What "left side trim" are you refering too? You mean at the fuse box near your feet?

·
Registered
170 Posts
yes. according to alldata. if the cover of the fuse box doesnt tell you which one let me know and I will look at alldata again to try and give you some more direction.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I called about plugs, boots & the fuel filter. The plugs & boots wi;; opnly be $60, but the fuel filter is $450! If I had my antennea on the glass, it was only $250, not sure why that matters.

So I am bringing it to the shop on Monday to get a fuel pressure test, not goning to spend $450 if I am not 100% sure I need to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts