Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear everyone

I’m interested in putting a fuel pressure gauge and fuel pressure regulator. I’m curious to know where I would install the fuel pressure gauge if I leave the stock regulator in place. I know that if I install an aftermarket regulator it comes with a fitting for the gauge.

Now I have only seen a fuel pressure regulator installed on one car in person that I have had the privilege to work on. It was installed in piggyback with the stock regulator. I’m not sure if it did anything because I couldn’t understand how it would work with the stock fuel pressure regulator in place. The owner said it made a huge difference in performance.

So I’m wondering how do I install a gauge now and then the regulator at a later on. I would assume that I have to install the gauge after the stock regulator but I didn’t see a bung, although I could have missed it since I didn’t take the intake manifold off.

I would assume that you would have to block off the vacuum line on the stock fuel pressure regulator so that it would allow all fuel to pass through it. Then have the aftermarket regulator installed before the stock regulator, and have that connect to engine vacuum.

Could anyone with any info please post up, I really want to get this project off the ground.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry if you got that impression. I will be changing a load of other things I'm just curious as to how to set this up. I'm looking into the MSD stacker 8 ignition as well as the microtech EMS when it become avialable. But since the microtech is not available I'm starting to tick things off of my list to keep myself busy.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Most of the pressure regs are on the end of the fuel rail. I would guess you just take the stock one off, and put your aftermarket in its place. With a gauage. The gauage can either go before or after the reg depending on what pressure you want to keep track of.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I continue to use the stock regulator do you know if there is a bung or any safe place to tap into in order to install the gauge. I've been searching for the installation of fuel pressure gauges on the contour V6 but so far I haven't found anything.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I've found that our fuel system is a returnless design which means that the fuel pressure is controlled in the tank by the pump. So does this mean that I can tap the fuel line before the fuel rail and install the gauge?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If it's returnless then from past experience, I'll say forget it, it won't work. I had one on my gs-r, but it had a return line. I put it inline just before the fuel rail, it had a guage, & I used a guage/meter to get it tuned to proper stoich. It wasn't worth the money or time though. Just did it to say that I had. Back then it was a new thing to imports along with CAI's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts