Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a fuel injector cleaner such as Chevron Techron? My 2016 Mazda 6 with 34k miles is running fine. I've researched this on the internet and various forums with mixed results. Some say we're not supposed to use any additives and others say to do it. What is the consensus here?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mazda recommends using "their" injection cleaner every 10,000 km. In our country, Mazda recommends using fuel from Shell. It is allegedly claimed that among fuel brands available in our country, Shell is the "only" one that passed the standards of Mazda for SKYACTIV technology.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Mazda recommends using "their" injection cleaner every 10,000 km. In our country, Mazda recommends using fuel from Shell. It is allegedly claimed that among fuel brands available in our country, Shell is the "only" one that passed the standards of Mazda for SKYACTIV technology.
Must be all that extra explosive N2O.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Recommendations on this kind of thing are all over the map. Toyota, for example, has Toyota fuel system cleaner (or some such name) listed as required maintenance every 10k on their DI engines. This despite the fact that they use a dual injection system where they still run port injection at certain times, which will keep intake valves and ports much cleaner than even the beatbox DI-only systems.

So, do what you’re comfortable with. I run a PEA-based cleaner through every so often. Techron is that type, as is Red Line’s SI-1 and CRC’s 1-tank Power Renew.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
If you want to run one Techron-style is ok, and I also like SeaFoam (which is mostly naptha, by the way.) Neither will do any harm and might do some good. None will do ANYTHING for intake deposits on a DI engine but it might help with injector patterning. Maybe.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If one is concerned about intake tract deposits, CRC’s GDI IVD intake valve and turbo cleaner is the most appropriate (and inexpensive) thing to use. It’s also a PEA-based cleaner, and has some good residual effects on the valves.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Must be all that extra explosive N2O.
I've heard / read of testimonials about it and they claim that after years of neglect, they decided to use the injection cleaner from Mazda. Allegedly, there's a noticeable improvement on performance.

These are not sponsored guys but from a local group who asked the same question. Since they had the car for three or so years, they noticed the improvement.

The diesel variant doesn't have that "cleaner" from Mazda so I don't buy one. However, I sometimes get free fuel but it's not from Shell. A friend of mine suggested using "Toyota Injector Cleaner".

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you want to run one Techron-style is ok, and I also like SeaFoam (which is mostly naptha, by the way.) Neither will do any harm and might do some good. None will do ANYTHING for intake deposits on a DI engine but it might help with injector patterning. Maybe.
There is that word, "might help". So using one every 10,000 km won't hurt the wallet that much.

Considering I get free fuel from time to time, that "Toyota Injector Cleaner" won't hurt.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yeah, if the injectors are patterning fine it will do nothing. There's no way to know without removing them in general, providing the engine is running ok. Further, if they're NOT patterning well chemicals may or may not do anything -- a good part of the time they don't, but sometimes they do.

So.... yeah, there you have it -- it may help and won't hurt (other than the small hole in your wallet to buy it, of course.)

·
Registered
654 Posts
There's no way to know without removing them in general, providing the engine is running ok. .)
Yes, there's no way to know unless you remove it. I remember the fuel injectors for marine diesels (generators) whose length is about 6 inches or so. There's a calibration machine for where you forcibly removed and clean the carbon deposit through injection of kerosene and later after cleaning, you test it with diesel oil and see the round, spray pattern. I don't know how it is adjusted but for the main engine that is connected to the propeller, the injectors has a sort of "copper washer" so as to increase the injection pressure. You add the washer if you see that the injectors have less pressure than specified.

There's a limit on how many washers you can put before you "retire" that one and half feet long injectors.

For those who are wondering about that size, 1.5 feet, the piston diameter can be as large as 1 meter.

Sorry, I'm off topic. Please don't answer back.

·
Rally Racer
1,889 Posts
Additive based cleaning may work for keeping injectors clean but I feel that it will do very little for an injector that is dirty enough to be compromised. Industrial cleaning of injectors uses multiple solvents and fairly expensive equipment Multi-transducer ultrasonic units are used with variables for spray pattern and vary for single or multi orifice injectors. Even with the correct equipment the process can take hours.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll put my two cents in here. I've been using Marvel Mystery Oil for close to 40 years now. On carbureted, port fuel injection, and direct fuel injection cars. For the first two, as well as cleaning the fuel intake system, it keeps the valves clean as well as lubricating the cylinder head. With the direct injection of the Mazda, of course you don't get the benefit of it cleaning the valves, but it does keep the injectors clean. Have had only one problem over that time with the injector on an old '86 Ranger when it went belly up. It wasn't clogged, it just failed.

I maintain and keep my cars until they are worn out. I've come to trust MMO to keep the fuel system clean. They've been around for almost 100 years now. The military used it during WWII on their piston powered aircraft. Some people don't care for it, but I've had excellent results with MMO. 4 ounces/10 gallons of fuel tank capacity every 3,000 miles has never let me down.

2001 Ford Ranger
2003 Porsche Boxster S
2015 Mazda 6

1 - 13 of 13 Posts