Mazda 6 Forums banner

1481 - 1500 of 1502 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
My Mazda 6 2005 4 cyl, at 140000 km, and 50% HW and 50% city, 11.5 l/100km, or 20.5MPG
Dang! I had a 2005 V6 but when I borrowed my dad's 2006 I4 (2006 upgraded from 4-speed to 5-speed auto) for a week I got around 27 MPG for a similar duty cycle, and I wasn't driving for fuel economy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am at nearly 12K mi on my Mazda 6 Touring with auto tranny. Mileage has been pretty consistent at 26.8. Car is used for 35 mi commute 80% freeway. Thazt is actual calculated mpg but trip computer is close to that at 26.6.

·
Registered
55 Posts
2016 Sport MT. Lifetime average mileage at almost 33,000 is 25.5 mpg. I have gotten tank full averages of as low as 24 mpg in mostly city driving to as high as 32 mpg in the highway.

·
Registered
218 Posts
2003 6i 2.3 AT- Averaging around 25.5, probably 60:40 in highways favor. Deep freeze and snow with 10 minutes of idling and reduced speed brought me down to 21 over the last couple of weeks

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
'04 v6 with auto = 13.5mpg (100% city)
Tough... I do about 18 to 21 with a mix of city hwy in my 04 v6 with a stick. Best I've ever gotten was 26 I think. That was on all freeway driving.

·
Rally Racer
1,974 Posts
Tough... I do about 18 to 21 with a mix of city hwy in my 04 v6 with a stick. Best I've ever gotten was 26 I think. That was on all freeway driving.
When the car used to commute to Washington (60/40, Hwy/Cty) it would get about 19mpg. The best I have ever done was 26.5mpg driving through the Gorge (Hwy 84). Windows up, A/C off, Ambient ~60F, cruise @ 70mph, 17" OEM wheels @ 32psi, and flat terrain during the day (no lights) with still air (rare for Gorge).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Realy disapointed with my 2013 2.2 Skyactiv Diesel 150HP
8 to 9 l/100km (35 to 31 MPG)
That means 2 times more than expected...
Most of the time I drive on highway but 50% of this time is low speed because of traffic jam.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Last time I looked, my 2016 manual transmission model was at 34.4 mpg over 27,000 miles of use. That’s an actual calculated value of miles driven divided by gallons of fuel used since the day I bought this car.

A couple of things to note about my driving...

I’m a pretty average driver. I don’t regularly flog my car. However, I don’t follow the “up shift” command either. I don’t know where that puts me on the continuum, but take it for what it’s worth.

Where I currently live is very rural and mostly flat. I don’t have to contend with heavy traffic, stop and go, or lots of hills. It’s also fairly cool weather-wise, so I don’t use the A/C as much as other folks. I also tend to not drive my car so much in the winter. Most of my driving is at around 55-60 mph. When I travel on the interstate, I’m usually going about 5 mph over whatever the posted speed is...so, depending on where I am, that’s generally 70-75. All in all, where and how I drive has a major impact on that 34.4 mpg.

Very soon, my wife and I will be moving. We will be living in a much more crowded, congested area. The terrain is much hillier and the weather much hotter. I’m expecting all that to have a negative effect on my fuel economy.

* edit...I forgot to mention, I usually run 91 octane non-ethanol fuel. Where we’re moving, that isn’t available, so I’ll have to use E-10 gas. That should also knock back my mpg number some.

·
Registered
38 Posts
After 40,000 miles... my M-6 M/T "average" is holding at 29.4 MPG... per the dashboard readout.... but that is mostly local driving, in traffic.
Every 6 weeks or so I visit my oldest daughter and family, a combination of 100 miles of interstate, and 100 miles of open country roads...Those trips, deliver me a solid 34.5 MPG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Over 120K miles of mostly open highway (80%) driving at either 60 or 75mph and running a 33 mpg average lifetime. Mileage takes a hit in winter as the temps drop and below 0F it really sucks for a Skyactive, it has to run richer to keep warm and warming it up before driving takes it's toll usually around 25-26 mpg. Summer time helps counter the cold with 35-36 mpg and only rarely have to drive in slow traffic.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Meh.

I just got back recently from Colorado (skiing @ Wolf Creek) which featured single-digit to teens overnight temps.

Mileage was not impacted at all; in fact, on the way home I posted the best tank I've EVER had. I credit it to the lower density of air and the ECU being able to crazy-ramp both compression and ignition advance without knocking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Curious how accurate you guys consider the readout in the car is compared to hand calculated.
I am an acknowledged data nerd. I have 42k miles on my 2017 Mazda 6, 2.5 L 4 cyl, auto 6 spd transmission; it was the mid-grade... Touring? or something... can't remember. Anyway, the average ratio of trip computer mileage to actual miles driven/gallons purchased is 0.996, or in other words, the trip computer averages 0.4% lower, or 0.12 mpg, which is awesome accuracy. The standard deviation of this ratio is 0.032 or 3.2%. So on average it's within 0.4%, but on a given tank, 68% of the time (1 standard deviation) I am within +/-4.7% or +/-1.0 mpg. It "feels" like it has much lower variability than that, but data doesn't lie. And note that some (most?) of this error may be in my ability to consistently fill the tank. Especially since the average ratio is so good.

Average mileage (measured) overall has been 30.2 mpg, with tanks that I judged as hwy averaging 33.1 and city 27.7 mpg. All units are US gallons. I generally am doing 80 mph on the hwy.

·
Super Moderator
16,808 Posts
Curious how accurate you guys consider the readout in the car is compared to hand calculated.
Typically it's +/- .5 mpg from actual - fairly accurate.

1481 - 1500 of 1502 Posts