Mazda 6 Forums banner

1461 - 1480 of 1498 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
My '16 M6 GT only has 647 miles on it. Bought it with 200. 99% local/city driving. Per the display, my average MPG is 18.5.

I always drive in Sport mode (it more closely approximates how I drive a stick), so that's not helping. Buuuuut, I'm happy with it. Why? My other car is an '04 Land Rover Discovery II which, on premium (anything less it knocks), I get about 9.5MPG. So. Yeah. All relative.

·
Registered
748 Posts
My '16 M6 GT only has 647 miles on it. Bought it with 200. 99% local/city driving. Per the display, my average MPG is 18.5.

I always drive in Sport mode (it more closely approximates how I drive a stick), so that's not helping. Buuuuut, I'm happy with it. Why? My other car is an '04 Land Rover Discovery II which, on premium (anything less it knocks), I get about 9.5MPG. So. Yeah. All relative.

It's way too early to report any fuel efficiency on your car. It's not even broken in yet. Report back at 5000 miles, I bet the mpg goes up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
2014 Sport ATX here

Only 4300 miles (long story). I've owned it three weeks now and am getting an average of 32-33 mpg according to the trip computer. I drive city/suburban primarily, with very little true stop and go but also very little 65 mph+ freeway driving. I try to plan my trips around routes with few stop signs and traffic signals. I'm not a hypermiler, but I do use hypermiling techniques such as accelerating slightly downhill and then coasting uphill, turning the engine off when I'm idling for long periods, not using the A/C except when absolutely necessary, etc.

Having replaced a 2003 MPV LX that got 17-18 mpg with the same type of driving I do now with the Mazda 6, I am stoked to be nearly doubling my mpg!

·
Registered
520 Posts
The motor needs 5 to 6 k miles to break in, so your fuel economy should progressively improve. I am at 12k miles now, and do 60:40 city and highways, with the usual dose of terrible DC area traffic, and i still manage to eek out 30-31 mpg. I had a best of 38 mpg on a 100% highway trip at a steady 65-70 mph.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Only 4300 miles (long story). I've owned it three weeks now and am getting an average of 32-33 mpg according to the trip computer. I drive city/suburban primarily, with very little true stop and go but also very little 65 mph+ freeway driving. I try to plan my trips around routes with few stop signs and traffic signals. I'm not a hypermiler, but I do use hypermiling techniques such as accelerating slightly downhill and then coasting uphill, turning the engine off when I'm idling for long periods, not using the A/C except when absolutely necessary, etc.

Having replaced a 2003 MPV LX that got 17-18 mpg with the same type of driving I do now with the Mazda 6, I am stoked to be nearly doubling my mpg!

I'm at 28,000 miles and average about 28-32mpg. Modern engines don't break in because they break them in from the factory. You're getting great mpg overall.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
779 Posts
The break in is more for performance. As with many around 10k miles the engine finally got some power .. don't know if the material has to burn down first to get more air in the chambers and that takes the time?

However even with all the performance mods I still get 26-30 mpg .. but when I push it .. it goes down to 20 :-D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bought my 2007 6i 2.3 back in July, it now has 101k on the clock. Since then I replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body, and changed all fluids plus thermostat. Car is running sweet. Drove it from Baltimore to Williamsburg yesterday, 217 miles with very little traffic. Averaged 37.4 mpg!!! It would have hit 38 but we were running late so I had to speed up from 65 to 70 (scan gauge showed the mpg drop).

Very pleased with that result. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just got to 22k last week and I average about 25MPG on my 15 Mazda 6 Touring. I don't know what the hell is going on. I drive 70/30 town/highway. I have quite a heavy foot but really 23-25MPG is bad :( Usually get around 280-290 miles on a tank at the most before the light comes on. Fuel economy got much worse after I crossed the 10K mile mark for some reason.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just got to 22k last week and I average about 25MPG on my 15 Mazda 6 Touring. I don't know what the hell is going on. I drive 70/30 town/highway. I have quite a heavy foot but really 23-25MPG is bad :( Usually get around 280-290 miles on a tank at the most before the light comes on. Fuel economy got much worse after I crossed the 10K mile mark for some reason.
With a 70:30 city to highway, mid-20s is all most can expect in cars like these. City traffic is notoriously hard to predict. There are weeks when i work from home , and do 80:20 city - highway driving, and i get mid-20s on such tanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good MPG

I have a 14 6 GT, and I drove 520 miles on a tank of gas. That was all highway from Texas to New Mexico and back.

The city is around 24 mpg for me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
2016 GT (no tech) with just over 15,000 miles. Usually 50/50 city to highway and average 32.5 mpg. Just around 460-480 miles per tank. Best was 41 mpg on 360 miles trip that was almost 100% highway (second month of ownership).

·
Registered
674 Posts
A lot of people will argue with you about this, but winter driving will take a bite out of your fuel mileage.

A bunch of factors come together that have a negative effect on MPG:

- colder air is denser, so your engine requires more fuel to achieve its target air to fuel ratio,
- winter fuel is blended differently and your engine uses more of it to get to that A/F ratio,
- cold ambient temps at start up mean your engine takes longer to warm up and uses more fuel to get to operating temp,
- additionally, people also tend to let there cars sit idling longer to warm up the engine and heater,
- poor winter driving conditions mean more traffic and lower average speeds, which consume gas,
- tire pressure tends to drop one PSI for every ten degrees (F) drop in in outside temp. Softer tires mean more rolling resistance and lower MPG.

Just some of the factors that cause your fuel consumption to go up in the winter months.

·
Registered
520 Posts
A lot of people will argue with you about this, but winter driving will take a bite out of your fuel mileage.

A bunch of factors come together that have a negative effect on MPG:

- colder air is denser, so your engine requires more fuel to achieve its target air to fuel ratio,
- winter fuel is blended differently and your engine uses more of it to get to that A/F ratio,
- cold ambient temps at start up mean your engine takes longer to warm up and uses more fuel to get to operating temp,
- additionally, people also tend to let there cars sit idling longer to warm up the engine and heater,
- poor winter driving conditions mean more traffic and lower average speeds, which consume gas,
- tire pressure tends to drop one PSI for every ten degrees (F) drop in in outside temp. Softer tires mean more rolling resistance and lower MPG.

Just some of the factors that cause your fuel consumption to go up in the winter months.
This. The cold weather is setting in here, and it has been consistently close to or below freezing the last couple of weeks. I have already seen my average MPG drop 3 MPG or roughly ~12% compared to the average in summer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just returned from a 500 mile trip

over the weekend where I did a lot of interstate highway (70-75 mph limit) and secondary road (65-70 limit) driving. I was a little disappointed to see an average of 34 mpg (with a brief run at 35) on the trip. That's better than I get in town, but well short of the EPA listing. I know the EPA rating is optimistic, but still.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone correlated mpg with the use of Mazda oil (or any oil with Moly) vs. the non-Mazda bulk oil used by most dealerships (at least around here). I wonder if Moly really makes a difference or if any mpg difference gets lost in the "noise". Do we even know if Mazda w/ Moly is the factory fill these days?

1461 - 1480 of 1498 Posts
About this Discussion
1.5K Replies
752 Participants
Byakuya
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing