Mazda 6 Forums banner

1441 - 1460 of 1502 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Drove my '14 GT to Vegas and back. Each way I only needed barely over a quarter tank. I averaged 39mpg with AC going 75mph.

Was very impressed considering I average 27 back in Chino Hills. Part of that is my lead foot going to work.

Bye.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I just recently got back from a trip to a cabin in the Smoky Mountains today. I had some of the best MPG I've ever had with my 6. It's a 2006 6s with what I understand an 18 gallon tank? If so, I got 300 miles on a half tank, which translates to 33.3 MPG! With a V6, and I was totally speeding! Plus, I imagine the gas meter is out of about 16 gallons or so to prevent total loss of fuel before refueling. I've filled up on empty and it only was 16 gallons and some change. If that's the case, that is around 37.5 MPG, which is unknown territory to me with this car. 17 city and 25 highway is what is on the internet for the V6. I have the 6 speed auto, and just recently changed oil. Any ideas? I drive pretty conservative I guess.... But I do have a Mazda 6 so...... >:)
Do not calculate mpg using just the needle. The gas tank is not evenly voluminous.

A better way.

1. Fill up the tank to full.
2. Reset trip odometer to 0.
3. Drive around.
4. Fill the tank back up to full again. Note the # of gallons filled.
5. Read trip odometer. Divide this number by # of gallons.
6. mpg = trip odometer / # gallons

·
Registered
582 Posts
After looking through a handful of pages of the thread I'm definitely not seeing the same MPG's that alot are getting. Admittadly, I do drive w/ a bit of a heavy foot but I'm only getting on average about 28-29 MPG. I would say it's probably about 60/40 HWY/CITY.

I wish I was getting in the 30's like alot on here but I would have to seriously curb my driving habits which wouldn't be much fun!

I traded in a 2010 Jetta TDI for my Mazda, which averaged closer to 40 MPG, given the choice I'd still pick my Mazda 10 out of 10 times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2015 model is getting 25.6 mpg. I'm at 3,500 miles after 4 months. Almost all of my driving is in a town with a lot of stop lights and school zones.

My 2009 Malibu was getting about 19.8 mpg at the time I traded it in for the Mazda 6. The new car has a lot more gadgets inside (like heated seats), so I'm pretty happy with the improvement in gas mileage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spring Time!

I'm excited about filling the tank up again. My typical route to work is 20 miles one way what is mostly highway. I believe the car will get over 38 mpg since the last 4 days I reset the average gauge and it is between 39 and 40 mpg. Before the best tank during the winter was 33.4 mpg.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Update on my 2014 Mazda 6:

17.5K miles and 37.4 MPG cumulative avg. 54 MPH avg.

Use Mazda factory oil and mid grade fuel. A large portion of my driving is @70 MPH.
Now at 22.5K miles and the cumulative mileage has crept up to 37.6 MPG. That # is from the onboard computer for the last 22K miles. Avg cumulative speed is 54 MPH. A high percentage of my driving is 70+MPH on long trips with ~500# passenger/load weight.

I did change over to an AEM air filter at around 18K miles.

Still using mid grade fuel and Mazda 0-20 high moly oil changed at ~7.5K mile intervals.

Absolutely zero issues with car so far. Love the trunk space and ride quality. I don't drive with a 'heavy foot'.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hit 22k over the week. My MPG has dropped significantly over the past month. I drive about 80/20 City/HWY and I never averaged above 28mpg. Now I'm at 24.8MPG and I can't seem to get it to creep up to 26mpg even with focused driving...not even sure wtf is going on now. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got back from a 2800 mile trek from CO to TN in my 03 6i MTX. averaged 33MPG overall with using the A/C most of the time and doing ~75mph.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just filled up, maybe two bars left on the gas gauge, got 385 miles to the tank.
So, devide that by the size of the tank, and woop...24. Or maybe my math isn't the best.
Could I really be getting this low of miles per gallon??!
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just filled up, maybe two bars left on the gas gauge, got 385 miles to the tank.
So, devide that by the size of the tank, and woop...24. Or maybe my math isn't the best.
Could I really be getting this low of miles per gallon??!
Thanks for any help.
Divide by the amount of gallons you pumped into the tank. That'll give you your actual mpg.

·
Registered
162 Posts
In pumped $22.25 @ $1.69/gallon
Thats 13.12 gallons.
Divide that by the number of miles I registered before filling up, 385. That is 29.25 miles per gallon.
If that is correct, that is not bad. I have been driving pretty irratic, traffic seems worse these days. Trying to zoom zoom in and around traffic is fun tho.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Who needs a hybrid?????

2016 Mazda6 Sport AT
First fill up at 442 miles. It took 6 weeks to hit that many, info gauge said still had 96 mi to empty with one tick under a quarter tank still showing. Most driving done (60 percent) at 50 or just below, with some in-town driving as well, and I should add I live in the mountains of NE PA. With that being said, it took 11.6 gallons to fill, giving me 38.1 mpg!
And I haven't even begun to try and hyper-mile it yet! I have no doubt that at 60 mph, this car will get 42 mpg! Simply amazing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Recorded 37mpg on a recent trip to Milwaukee...

And that's an actual calculation (not via on-board fuel economy read-out.) Mostly highway at 70-75mph, some rural road at 55-60, very little city driving.

My car has just over 1200 miles on it, so not really even broken in. I'm very pleased with this, to say the least!
:smile2:

1441 - 1460 of 1502 Posts