Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.0 hatch with winter tyres on winter alloys consume 8.5 litres per 100 km. That's mixed city/hwy driving.

When I drive mostly in the city, it goes up to an average of 8.7 litres per 100 km.

Fairly good, I'd say. It will be exciting to see the consumption with summer tyres on dry roads (I'd have to get back to that in May...:sarc )

Anyone else has any experiences on the fuel consumption issue?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Fuel consumption'

Originally posted by Steve 6er

My 2.0 hatch with winter tyres on winter alloys consume 8.5 litres per 100 km. That's mixed city/hwy driving.

When I drive mostly in the city, it goes up to an average of 8.7 litres per 100 km.

Fairly good, I'd say. It will be exciting to see the consumption with summer tyres on dry roads (I'd have to get back to that in May...:sarc )

Anyone else has any experiences on the fuel consumption issue?[/b]
Did you get that info from the trip computer or calculated it yourself?
I've found that the TC tends to lie a bit (shows about 0,2 l/100km less than you get from straight calculations).

What was the average speed for measured distance?
Should be a good indicator of what type of traffic you encounter.

Last time I checked mine, it was 9,0 l/100 km with the average speed of 32 km/h (a lot of rush-hour traffic). Looks a bit too much for 1,8 manual doesn't it? Then again, I seem to have quite aggressve style of driving.

There can also be a gasoline quality issue involved (maybe I should switch from Statoil to Neste? ;))

·
Registered
355 Posts

Originally posted by Sigvard

Looks a bit too much for 1,8 manual doesn't it? Then again, I seem to have quite aggressve style of driving.

There can also be a gasoline quality issue involved (maybe I should switch from Statoil to Neste? ;))[/b]
I believe that the driving style makes a bigger difference... And ofcourse the city traffic makes extra on that...

Besides I am getting 2.3, and it really feels nice to accelerate with it... I can tell that. Just have to remember that accelerating for fun is very consuming (but if you accelerate just to gain speed for longer distance, then it is not any more consuming that reaching the same speed by taking your time).

Neste can't be worse. ;)
But how much more costy is it - are you willing to pay the extra?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Originally posted by Sigvard

Did you get that info from the trip computer or calculated it yourself?  
I've found that the TC tends to lie a bit (shows about 0,2 l/100km less than you get from straight calculations).

What was the average speed for measured distance?  
Should be a good indicator of what type of traffic you encounter.

Last time I checked mine, it was 9,0 l/100 km with the average speed of 32 km/h (a lot of rush-hour traffic). Looks a bit too much for 1,8 manual doesn't it? Then again, I seem to have quite aggressve style of driving.

There can also be a gasoline quality issue involved (maybe I should switch from Statoil to Neste? ;))[/b]
I took that figure straight from the TC. I haven't yet done any calculations. But I will later on.

Didn't look at the average speed for my measurement, but will check next time I go out. I would agree that 9,0 litre per 100 km sounds too much for a 1.8. Remember I have the 2.0.

And I have quite an aggressive driving style also. This car sorts of brings out the worst in you...:D

·
Registered
355 Posts

And I have quite an aggressive driving style also. This car sorts of brings out the worst in you...:D[/b]
Umm... Yeah. Can't argue on that.
It just feels so blasted great how it goes when you drive it, and soon you notice that you are either speeding, or making some crazy accelerations on every traffic light etc.

Fun but not necessarily healthy? :D :D

·
Registered
355 Posts

Oh yes, it's healthy! Makes your soul feel goooood!:D[/b]
Hehee... Okay it is healthy that way. :D

I am so lucky, that I have never got a speeding ticket in my life... And before Mazda6 police didn't even notice my car, no matter how fast I go... I had so boring cars, I guess.

But now I will have a YELLOW Mazda6 yelling for more attention, and I wonder if that will change it (oh yeah, blame the future tickets on the car and its color etc... It is not my fault! ;) ).

·
Registered
510 Posts

Hi,

My 2.3 litre Activematic Hatch has been averaging 8.6 litres per 100 klms......

Not bad in my opinion..., but that is mainly freeway & open road driving, so yes it does depend on where you drive, and if you are an enthusiastic driver, the consumption will increase !!

Should be close to 700 klms per tank, but I would never let the fuel tank ever go down near empty !!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hi, Rod.

That's not too bad. I agree that one wouldn't want to empty the tank too much. No big risk when the car is so new as ours are. But it gets increasingly hazardous as the tanks gets more dirt and water in it later on.

If I remember correclty 0.86 for freeway driving is below what Mazda said?

:)

·
Registered
510 Posts

If I remember correclty 0.86 for freeway driving is below what Mazda said?[/b]
Hi Steve,

Yeah, from memory the "average" fuel consumption for 2.3 litre model is supposed to be approx 9.5- 10 litres per 100 klms approx.....

So i'm happy, much better consumption than Tribute I owned Before, which was about 13 litres per 100 klms - Ouch !!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If you just drive long enough, the 6 will pay itself!

So...keep on drivin'!:D

·
Registered
319 Posts

For those of us who use the stupid US units (hey, I must admit, metric is WAY better, why in the world don't we change??).

Steve has gotten 28.4mpg. Not too bad for mixed driving. That is a manual, correct Steve?

Most cars won't reach their best fuel economy for a good 10,000+ miles, sometimes even more. 28.4mpg is pretty darn good for a brand new car in a family sedan. I'd be happy with that.

Just out of curiosity, what is the stated mileage on the window sticker?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yeah, I have a manual (wouldn't have it any other way as long as there's still two arms and two legs attached to my body...:D )

Mileage stated on the sticker:

8,5 (actually exactly what I got!)
6,6 (Extra-urban)
11,9 (Urban)

(That's still our metric figures, go figure!;) )

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by javah

Neste can't be worse. ;)[/b]
Sorry to say, but Statoil has somewhat better reputation in regards to quality here.

But how much more costy is it - are you willing to pay the extra?[/b]
Actually the prices are quite equal, plus I enjoy my loyal customer discount with Statoil.

BTW: Right now there is a price-war going on between major fuel suppiers so prices for 95E have dropped to nearly 0.5 € /l here. Nice :D

·
Registered
176 Posts

Anybody got any fuel consumption on the Diesel?
Not the figures from the book, please :p

·
Registered
167 Posts

Originally posted by adim_v

Not the figures from the book, please :p[/b]
I don't think anyone here has the Diesel yet, but according to most magazines it's around 8l/100 km (I've seen figures between 7.8 and 8.3). I'm sure you can keep it well below that though if you try.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Originally posted by jps1974

Originally posted by adim_v

Not the figures from the book, please :p[/b]
I don't think anyone here has the Diesel yet, but according to most magazines it's around 8l/100 km (I've seen figures between 7.8 and 8.3). I'm sure you can keep it well below that though if you try.[/b][/quote]

That sounds awfully lots for diesel!?

I would believe something around 6... That is more like a diesel comsumption figures for a car this size.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Infact, I went to check it!

2.0TD consumes 6.5 l per 100 km. (6.6 for wagon). This is avarage.
City: 8.3
Highway: 5.5-5.7

This sounds more accurate numbers. But remember, it is up to how you drive!

Usually you should add about 0.2 to 0.5 to these book numbers. Depending on your driving habbits.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Originally posted by javah

Infact, I went to check it!

2.0TD consumes 6.5 l per 100 km. (6.6 for wagon). This is avarage.
City: 8.3
Highway: 5.5-5.7

This sounds more accurate numbers. But remember, it is up to how you drive!

Usually you should add about 0.2 to 0.5 to these book numbers. Depending on your driving habbits.[/b]
How (where) did you check?

Of course it depends greatly on how you drive (no doubt). You can drive a Diesel and never rev it above 1500rpm, which will have a positive impact on fuel consumption :sarc

My Passat TDI (1900ccm, 90ps) drank about 7.5l/100km. I think the numbers Mazda tells you will be very optimistic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts