Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to look for this subject but could not find so forgive me if I am repeating a previous question....

First of all, I am new to this board. I just bought a black 6s with a 5spd. I am curious as to what you all do when refueling. My cap just hangs against the outside of the car unless I hold it. Is there some way that the cap is supposed to lie that I am overlooking? I know it sounds petty, but after six months of letting that cap hang will eventually scratch the clearcoat. Heck, it could probably scratch the clearcoat if I let it do it one time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Fuel cap'

Rowdy, I was going to ask that same question tonight. I filled up my 6 for the first time today. The cap started swinging in the breeze against the clearcoat and that really bugged me. I ended up lifting it up and resting it over the top of the cover, but wasn't happy with that, either. Seems like there should be something to hook that sucker to. My last vehicle had a lip that the cap rested on while refueling. I'm interested in hearing others' ideas, too.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Originally posted by Rowdy

I tried to look for this subject but could not find so forgive me if I am repeating a previous question....

First of all, I am new to this board.  I just bought a black 6s with a 5spd.  I am curious as to what you all do when refueling.  My cap just hangs against the outside of the car unless I hold it.  Is there some way that the cap is supposed to lie that I am overlooking?  I know it sounds petty, but after six months of letting that cap hang will eventually scratch the clearcoat.  Heck, it could probably scratch the clearcoat if I let it do it one time.[/b]
it's plastic, wont do a thing. Although I agree it's annoying... here in NY most self-serve pumps require you to hold the handle in while fueling, I liked the ability to stick the gas cap in there and walk around for a bit while it fueled.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reading Topic: Fuel cap

Yeah, I had a LHS that had that cap holder in the cover but nothing on this one. That cap swinging in the breeze in my opinion will put fine scratches in the clearcoat.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The plastic fuel cap does not attach to anything when it is off and you are refueling. It just hangs and brushes up against the paint of the car. Some cars have an area where you can attach the fuel cap to the fuel door on the inside.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Cut the cord.

Put the cap on top of the pump.

If you're that anal--like me--then there is no way in hell you'd ever drive off without it.
Besides, if you did, a nice C.E.L. would remind you shortly.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yeah, it's no real big deal, I was just curious if I was missing something obvious. Mazda has thought about everything else with this car.

·
Registered
878 Posts

Originally posted by Rowdy

Yeah, it's no real big deal, I was just curious if I was missing something obvious.  Mazda has thought about everything else with this car.[/b]
No your right....it's something Mazda should have put in. They need to know what we want in our cars. Not much involved to put a bent piece of metal there, ya know. My feeling is this, it's always the little things that put a car over the top for me. Oh well, maybe on the next trade in right ?

·
Registered
126 Posts

Originally posted by meat6                Or you can go to your local hardware store and pick-up a stick-on hook. :D[/b]
That's not a half-bad idea. I'm going to look for a small red plastic hook with adhesive backing that might fit in there. If not, it's time to cut the cord!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts