Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any aftermarket options to secure your fuel cap to the fuel door instead of just letting it hang against the side of the car?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
On my MS6 I put the cord around the latch of fuel door so the cap doesn't rest against the car. Got that idea from one of the members here.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I've been lookin' myself, but have found nada. I'm thinkin' of just taking the chord off and chance losing the cap.

Let me know if you find something.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
My speed6 has a place to store my gas cap. The little latch that is protruding from the door will fit just fine into where the threads for the gas cap are. Ive been doing that for a few years now with both of my Mazda6's i've owned, without issue.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
My speed6 has a place to store my gas cap. The little latch that is protruding from the door will fit just fine into where the threads for the gas cap are. Ive been doing that for a few years now with both of my Mazda6's i've owned, without issue.
[/b]

+1. It kinda snaps into place.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
[/b]
I'm going to have to experiment with this one. I can't picture what exactly how to do that right now.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I'm going to have to experiment with this one. I can't picture what exactly how to do that right now.
[/b]
Yeah, I'm going to take a look myself, right now.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Just take the gas cap and kinda get the metal piece into the gap between the threads and the cap and just turn it a bit until it sits motionless in place. I figured this out the first time I filled up gas in my first Mazda6s, I was standing there thinking wtf! & then I realized that why not try this, and it worked.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Do you want me to go take a photograph of it?
[/b]
Can you, please? It was too damn cold last time I filled up for me to play with it. In fact it's been too damn cold all week for me to play with it!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Just take the cord off it.

Just remember the three steps. open the gas door, take the cap out, put the nozzle in. Then when the fillup is finished reverse it. Take nozzle out, put cap back, close gas door.

If you don't have 3 steps when you finish gassing up then you know you've either A. forgot the cap. B. neglected to close the gas door or C. left the nozzle in your gas tank.

And if you're a kilometer down the road when you remember to check the 3 step process, pray it isn't C.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I like the cord though, for exactly what you mention. I had a girlfriend who kept losing her gas cap. She'd keep forgetting to put it back on before she drove away from the station. I just don't want that to happen to me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the cord though, for exactly what you mention. I had a girlfriend who kept losing her gas cap. She'd keep forgetting to put it back on before she drove away from the station. I just don't want that to happen to me.
[/b]

Hey All, thanks for all your wonderful ideas. I am the originator of this thread and I feel bad cause I haven't come back to check on it much. I've been so busy and now I am home in San Francisco on leave.

Thanks for all ur help

Q

1 - 15 of 15 Posts