Mazda 6 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I have a genuine Mazdaspeed shift knob for sale. I bought this from another member and used it for one day. I liked it, but my wife did not, so here we are.

The "Mazdaspeed"on the top is slightly worn as you can see from one of the pics. I was actually going to buy either some black paint or a very good permanent marker and carefully fill it in to look like new.

It also sounds like something inside is loose, it was like this when I got it and it doesn't sound this way all the time (I am shaking it now and it sounds fine). I haven't really explored what it is and how easy it would be to get rid of, all in all it wasn't really that annoying for me.

Just so everybody is clear, this just screws right on existing threads very easily.

I am just looking to get back what I paid for it, so a fair deal for somebody

$25 + shipping

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
Will this fit the ATX as well as the MTX knob?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will this fit the ATX as well as the MTX knob? [/b]
nope sorry, only for the MTX.

as shown here at Japan Parts they have two different models for the ATX and MTX.

also note the price new - $146

JapanParts Link

Does anyone know the weight of this bad boy? [/b]
couldn't tell ya, but it has a nice weight and balance to it.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The answer is probably yes but will this fit the 06? If so, I'm interested.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The answer is probably yes but will this fit the 06? If so, I'm interested. [/b]
I don't honestly know. I would imagine it does, but can somebody else answer this??

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I don't honestly know. I would imagine it does, but can somebody else answer this??
[/b]
There's been no change to the shift knobs between the years of the 6, so I don't see why it wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'm interested in this MazdaSpeed knob pobody, but it looks tall. I've got an '06 Speed6 and don't want to make the shifter taller than it already is. Do you have any pics of the knob when it was installed in your car? Could you measure the overall height of the knob, and the depth of the threads (stick a pencil or stick down into the thread holes, make a mark even with where it goes in, take out and measure)?

When the knob is installed, does the boot come up to the bottom of the knob, or does the boot wrap over the large lip on the bottom and seal against the slimmer shank just below the large knob?

Sorry for all the questions but I haven't seen one of these installed and if the boot comes up to the bottom of the knob so that it's all exposed as in the pics it would look rather odd, IMHO.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm interested in this MazdaSpeed knob pobody, but it looks tall. I've got an '06 Speed6 and don't want to make the shifter taller than it already is. Do you have any pics of the knob when it was installed in your car? Could you measure the overall height of the knob, and the depth of the threads (stick a pencil or stick down into the thread holes, make a mark even with where it goes in, take out and measure)?[/b]
it is aprox. 2-3/4" tall. When I stick a pencil in there it goes in about 1-3/4", but I don't know if that is where the thread stops or not...

When the knob is installed, does the boot come up to the bottom of the knob, or does the boot wrap over the large lip on the bottom and seal against the slimmer shank just below the large knob?[/b]
the boot does not wrap over the knob, IMO that would look weird, it looks right the way it sits. I'll try to get pictures of it on...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Thanks for measuring and posting the info pobody. I think I'm going to have to pass on this one. It's not the look I was hoping for. I just want a round knob on top of the boot. The additional shank and flare out at the bottom, above where boot ends, would not look right to me.

If the overall height of the knob is 2.75" tall, that would make the knob itself about 1.5" in diameter, maybe max of 1.75" in diameter, wouldn't it? If so, that would make the spherical part of the knob part a bit small for what I want too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If i can figure out if this fits the threads on the Mazda3, i'd be inclined to get it for $25

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I don't see why Mazda would change the threading of their shifters between cars. Doesn't the 3 share the same type of shift knob as the 6 in the MTXs?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't see why Mazda would change the threading of their shifters between cars. Doesn't the 3 share the same type of shift knob as the 6 in the MTXs?
[/b]
The 6 and the miata share knobs, so my guess is the 3 will as well.
(Side note, if you want to sell a 6's stock leather wrapped knob, try takign it to a miata forum...)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also was wondering the weight differance between the 04 knob and this one?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also was wondering the weight differance between the 04 knob and this one? [/b]
pretty similar, but like I said before, the MS feels more solid and balanced...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
still for sale...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.