Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Click here for the pic

^^ So if i'm looking correctly at this pic, his turn signals (yellow) are constantly on. I really like the idea, but at the same time i don't want to loose the front turn signals unless i have to. So here are my plans:

A) Have the front signals be constantly on, but when i use the turn signal lever they start flashing. And this is my question, can this be done? And if so, how would i go about doing this? This would be my ideal plan if possible.

B) Wire my front turn signals so they are on constantly. By doing this i would sacrifice my front turn signals and convert my side markers (using how to) to be my new and only front turn signals. Either way, how would i go about having my front turn signals be constantly on? I'm assuming this would be illegal, but that hasn't stopped anyone with other mods either!

·
Registered
915 Posts
i'm sure you could do it, though i know i don't know how, i'm guessing you'd have to wire it in to the parking lights some how... wireing gurus?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
How would on coming cars see your turn signals? :nono:

And do our turn signals even give off that much light?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, like i said, probably illegal, but it's not like i (or everyone) uses their signals all the time to begin with. besides, i'll have my side markers as turn signals.

and it seems they do give out a good amount of light, i have hyper yellow bulbs on my turn signals now and in those rare cases i use my turn signal :D i can see my turn signal reflecting off things in front (and not close to me).

wiring gurus, i know you're out there :D

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
that's not going to be illegal. some cars use the same bulb for their parking lights and turn signals.

have you tried the turn signal mod? the one that changes the side markers to turn signals? cause with that mod the side markers do exactly what you are talking about. what you are talking about can defenitely be done.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
yeah you'd simply just have to splice the parking light wire into the turn signal so you can get those to stay on....i'm not 100% sure which wires you would need to hook into the turn signal...but i did the turn signal mod and its pretty cool works like this...

when you signal........
& lights are off, sidemarker and turn signal flash at the same time
& lights are on, sidemarker and turn signal alternate
& parking lights are on, sidemarkers and turn signal alternate

How To Turn Signal Mod

·
Registered
915 Posts
what if you did the turn signal mod, then swaped the wiring set up backwards... ok so:

usualy the side markers are on and they flash in reverse of the in headlight signal. so...
swap the wires for the headlight turn and the side marker.
so then the in head turn sigs will be on like the side marker, the side sigs will be out, till you turn on the turn sig. right?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's not going to be illegal. some cars use the same bulb for their parking lights and turn signals.

have you tried the turn signal mod? the one that changes the side markers to turn signals? cause with that mod the side markers do exactly what you are talking about. what you are talking about can defenitely be done.
[/b]
i said probably illegal because looking directly from the front of the car you wouldn't be able to see my turn signal (since it would only be on the side). i am aware of the how-to on turning your side markers to turn signals.

yeah you'd simply just have to splice the parking light wire into the turn signal so you can get those to stay on....i'm not 100% sure which wires you would need to hook into the turn signal
[/b]
can this be done without any problems though?

what if you did the turn signal mod, then swaped the wiring set up backwards... ok so:

usualy the side markers are on and they flash in reverse of the in headlight signal. so...
swap the wires for the headlight turn and the side marker.
so then the in head turn sigs will be on like the side marker, the side sigs will be out, till you turn on the turn sig. right?
[/b]
hmmmm........sounds like it makes sense, but i just got off from work and i can't really think right now, so i'll just reread everyones ideas tomorrow and see what makes sense.

Our stock bulbs are actually dual filaments so it could be done im sure.
[/b]
sweet, now i just need the how to go about it part :D

·
Registered
915 Posts
I THINK this is how you need to go about doing it:

Do the side marker to turn signal mod. then while you have the bumper off swap the hot leads to the turn signal and sidemarker. that should be that, if I am thinking the right way. :headscrat: well lemmy break it down right here...

Right then, so if we break up the wires and bulbs as source +/- A to bulb +/- C is the turn sig sorce and bulb, and side marker +/- B to +/- bulb D

The turn sinal mod splices a wire from the source "+ A to the connection at + C bulb" and runs that to ground at bulb - D.

what we need to do is cut all the durn wires (almost), here we go, Run + A to bulb + D, run - A to bulb - D, run + B to bulb + C, Run - B to Bulb - C, then run a wire spliced into A + > D + to the ground of bulb C. :zzz:

I'll make a diagram... :nana:

·
Registered
418 Posts
i dont think that diagram will work right.... because when the signal light goes positive the current will flow towards ground and no the light (depending on the resistance of everything) but in theory the current will cross that branch u drew and go right back into the car not affecting the light at all

·
Registered
915 Posts
I think it's right... i just ran things swaped from the side marker mod, if that works why should this not, you're just basicly swaping the power from the lights...

Anyone trying this?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Like CLTatenza said, the bulbs are dual filament bulbs, all you need to do is bring power to the other half of the bulb which is meant to be on constantly. Kinda the same idea as the brake light mod, all you need to do is bring power to the inner brake light bulb, when the brakes are applied for them to light up too.
I have done this mod back in 2004, when my car was brand new, but grew tired of it, I really like my DDE's better.

---Aloha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
Bigbaddad
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing