Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of installing this part for my car because I want it to be a bit stiffer especially in corners. Is there a noticeable difference with this suspension piece added?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO it is an excellent upgrade to the front suspension at a very reasonable price while adding very very little (maybe 1 lb?) additional weight. Check out the link to my build thread below in my signature.
Thanks for the input! This reply has pushed me over the edge to go on and buy it for my 2015!

·
Rally Racer
1,911 Posts
I’m thinking of installing this part for my car because I want it to be a bit stiffer especially in corners. Is there a noticeable difference with this suspension piece added?
Chassis stiffening is always worth it. The trick is to find where it's needed.
My early gen (also double wishbone) moderately benefited from a lower chassis bar but I felt nothing doing the strut bar afterward.
Not sure if there is any similarity but looking at pictures of the GJ it looks like the strut tops are right up against the firewall. I would imagine that to be pretty stiff.
How about doing them both, (upper and lower)?

or F&R upper bars

Down the rabbit hole we go...

·
Registered
224 Posts
IIRC the 2nd gen changed front suspensions.
They separated the strut towers from the firewall after 08?
2nd gen was a refinement of the 1st gen's upper/lower control arm (aka double wishbone) setup - 3rd gen jumped to a MacPhearson Strut type. As far as I know the shock towers are still super close to the fire wall and connected to it, just not with any diagonal braces.

What exactly do you mean by wanting it to be a bit stiffer in the corners? This won't stiffen the suspension, but it will stiffen the body shell which should let the suspension work a little better. You'll probably feel it's effect by making turn-in a little quicker with less slop, plus it should feel more solid while turning and over road imperfections (more planted in bumpy corners). I know some guys fill the holes in their control arm bushings with urethane and stiffen those bushing, but otherwise you can't really make the suspension "stiffer" without changing out components.

Thanks for the input! This reply has pushed me over the edge to go on and buy it for my 2015!
Have fun and make sure to review your strut brace! I would look at doing rear brace(s) as well, every ride in the back of my dad's 2015 makes me feel it could use a bit more chassis stiffness back there. In fact, I'd just go down the rabbit hole and do as many chassis braces as is reasonable for you. I thought the 6's chassis and body shell were pretty stiff when I drove one after it came out back in 2013, but driving my dad's 2015 6 back to back with my ATS shows how much the 6 could be improved.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMO it is an excellent upgrade to the front suspension at a very reasonable price while adding very very little (maybe 1 lb?) additional weight. Check out the link to my build thread below in my signature.
2nd gen was a refinement of the 1st gen's upper/lower control arm (aka double wishbone) setup - 3rd gen jumped to a MacPhearson Strut type. As far as I know the shock towers are still super close to the fire wall and connected to it, just not with any diagonal braces.

What exactly do you mean by wanting it to be a bit stiffer in the corners? This won't stiffen the suspension, but it will stiffen the body shell which should let the suspension work a little better. You'll probably feel it's effect by making turn-in a little quicker with less slop, plus it should feel more solid while turning and over road imperfections (more planted in bumpy corners). I know some guys fill the holes in their control arm bushings with urethane and stiffen those bushing, but otherwise you can't really make the suspension "stiffer" without changing out components.

Have fun and make sure to review your strut brace! I would look at doing rear brace(s) as well, every ride in the back of my dad's 2015 makes me feel it could use a bit more chassis stiffness back there. In fact, I'd just go down the rabbit hole and do as many chassis braces as is reasonable for you. I thought the 6's chassis and body shell were pretty stiff when I drove one after it came out back in 2013, but driving my dad's 2015 6 back to back with my ATS shows how much the 6 could be improved.

You're right about it not stiffening the suspension (I should have been more clear I'll be using coilovers for that.) But yeah, an update I did purchase a lightly used one from eBay (500 miles of usage) and I am anxiously waiting for it to come in so I can install!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does it really make a huge difference though for the front strut car at least? I just picked up a '17 Touring and noticed the shock towers are close to the firewall still. Back in the day with the older Integras and Civics, chassis stiffening played a huge roll because the shock towers were much further away from the firewall and rear/under braces put the chassis components together compared to nowedays which everything is literally one piece instead.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does it really make a huge difference though for the front strut car at least? I just picked up a '17 Touring and noticed the shock towers are close to the firewall still. Back in the day with the older Integras and Civics, chassis stiffening played a huge roll because the shock towers were much further away from the firewall and rear/under braces put the chassis components together compared to nowedays which everything is literally one piece instead.
I’ve had them for over 2 months and it feels very different. The car does handle significantly better with everything else being the same so I would recommend

1 - 10 of 10 Posts