Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last month or so a clunking noise has appeared in my front suspension. I thought it was the endlinks as I did evil things to them when I put the springs and Konis in, but after jacking up the car this weekend it's obvious that they are still OK. Hence, I'm stumped. Everything seems to be tight, but when I accelerate from a stop turning left and when I go from off-the-gas to on-the-gas in a left turn I feel a clunk through the steering wheel. I can occasionally feel just a hint of it pulling straight away from a stop as well. Has anyone experience anything like this before, and if so what was the outcome?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Over the last month or so a clunking noise has appeared in my front suspension. I thought it was the endlinks as I did evil things to them when I put the springs and Konis in, but after jacking up the car this weekend it's obvious that they are still OK. Hence, I'm stumped. Everything seems to be tight, but when I accelerate from a stop turning left and when I go from off-the-gas to on-the-gas in a left turn I feel a clunk through the steering wheel. I can occasionally feel just a hint of it pulling straight away from a stop as well. Has anyone experience anything like this before, and if so what was the outcome?
[/b]
There's a TSB for the front suspension clunking or steering popping ...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a TSB for the front suspension clunking or steering popping ...
[/b]
Based on the description I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. This does not happen when the car is not moving. I also dealt with the springs settling for a while and it doesn't feel or sound like the noises the springs were making. Another member of the Cleveland 6 Club had an issue similar to mine that turned out to be a universal joint in the steering column. We'll see with mine.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update...clunking felt when stopped by turning steering wheel all the way to the left (at the limit of its travel). I think it's in the steering mechanism somewhere. We'll see what the dealer says.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update...clunking felt when stopped by turning steering wheel all the way to the left (at the limit of its travel). I think it's in the steering mechanism somewhere. We'll see what the dealer says.
[/b]

Just get them (Mazda Dealer ) to take your slip joint in the steering column apart and put in the super grease.
it takes about 15 mins to do this job.

I had mine done (again) on the weekeng and its all fixed for now....

Regards Daz

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just get them (Mazda Dealer ) to take your slip joint in the steering column apart and put in the super grease.
it takes about 15 mins to do this job.

I had mine done (again) on the weekeng and its all fixed for now....

Regards Daz
[/b]
It was actually the clock spring making the noise...not exactly sure how. If you search a few others have had the same issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
yea i can relate to this my car has been making the same "clunking" noise when turning at low speeds.. and i took it in to the dealer the other day.. for an oil change and inspection... they diagonosed the problem as "fluid leaking from my front axle".. and the ordered me a new front axle under warranty..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I seem to have been experiencing the same clunking sound and feeling in my '06 MS6. They have already replaced the steering rack, two tie rod ends, and the upper ball joint on the passenger side. I am still experiencing the clunking and it is currently in the shop. If they do need to replace the steering column, is it a safety issue or is it just an annoyance? The dealer says that they cannot feel the clunking today but I told them the entire car had to be really warmed up and then it will show up. I am thinking happy thoughts that they will hear/feel it after taking it out for about 20 miles or so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I seem to have been experiencing the same clunking sound and feeling in my '06 MS6. They have already replaced the steering rack, two tie rod ends, and the upper ball joint on the passenger side. I am still experiencing the clunking and it is currently in the shop. If they do need to replace the steering column, is it a safety issue or is it just an annoyance? The dealer says that they cannot feel the clunking today but I told them the entire car had to be really warmed up and then it will show up. I am thinking happy thoughts that they will hear/feel it after taking it out for about 20 miles or so.[/b]

Trust me !! ask them to re grease the slip joint in the steering column it will fix your problem ...100% I work at a Mazda dealer in Australia!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (6_sense @ Jan 25 2007, 06:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=906701
Trust me !! ask them to re grease the slip joint in the steering column it will fix your problem ...100% I work at a Mazda dealer in Australia!!![/b]
So I have been having this same problem and I called the dealer to ask them to regrease and see how much it was and 2 different dealerships have told me that they are not supposed to be greased, that they are supposed to be dry. So I am a little confused, anyone ever heard this?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dude, just re-grease it like the man says or be stuck with the problem. I even had a steering column shaft replaced under warranty. The problem was gone for 3 months and then came back.

Most Mazda dealers in North America don`t know their head from their ass as I found out the very hard way. Hence, I will not buy a Mazda again. This is also the reason why people come here to this forum.

Take a silicone lubricant like WD40 and spray the hell out of the steering shaft joint that goes into the floor and all the other joints. You can do it yourself; the shaft is visible once you look under the dashboard where your pedals are. No need to take it apart. I did it and it worked for me like a charm (given your problem is related to the shaft in the steering column it will work for you as well). It has been over a year and the problem has not been back.

I went to 4 Mazda dealers before I came across one tech that knows something about Mazda cars and how crappy they are. He advised me to grease and showed me where. Can somebody explain how a mechanism is supposed to operate with no grease in it? Wow, who hires these people...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts