Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see if i can get this to work--

If it does, take a look at the front strut assembly. That bar that "wraps" around the front tire, in my estimation is the biggest problem with our cars regarding getting a Wider Rim/Tire combo. Could this part be re-engineered either by Mazda or someone else? I realize that its a pretty important part with the front suspension but if it were just an ince or so closer to the spring we could run 8.5 or maybe even 9 inch wide rims....

Do you guys think this is possible at all or am i just freaking nuts?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
That's the suspension knuckle and it connects to the upper A-arm. Are you seriously considering re-engineering all that? That's some serious stuff and would take quite a bit of forethought to get both sufficient strength and proper suspension geometry. It'd be much easier to buy a widebody fender kit and use lower offset wheels, though either way you're going to mess up your scrub radius.

You should already be able to fit 17x8.5" wheels (48mm offset) with 245/40/17" tires.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Well then you would want wider wheels out back and that more than likely won't fit either...

EDIT: I have 8" wheels up front and they seem tight... and 8.5" would be great if the offset was high enough...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh heck no- im not re-engineering anything...Was only wondering if it was possible. I mean, i had a mustang back in the day and there were all sorts of suspension kits, some were pretty insane and others were pretty basic. I just thought that it "could" be possible...and thought to ask..

Regarding the rear, it looks like you could get a fatter rim in the back using a lower offset i beleive. Maybe im thinking it backwards, maybe its a higher offset- whichever tucks the wheel inward.

in any case, it just seems that the front is where the true limitation is because of that Knuckle..if that werent there, or it were a little closer to the strut spring itself we could run fatter rim/tires without messing with the fenders beacuse we could tuck them im a bit more....

i dunno-??

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
If the knuckle had more indentation to it but still mounted at exactly the same points, that would definitely be interesting, but you can't get rid of the tall knuckle design altogether without major work (and even then you'd mess up the geometry). Re-sculpting the knuckle with more indentation would be harmless, though, except on the wallet. It'd be a very expensive aftermarket part to make.

In the rear, really wide wheels will fit if you use a 60mm or higher offset. With an aftermarket front knuckle, that'd be the proper offset for use there too.

It's a reasonable idea, just very cost-prohibitive.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re-sculpting the knuckle with more indentation would be harmless, though, except on the wallet. It'd be a very expensive aftermarket part to make.

In the rear, really wide wheels will fit if you use a 60mm or higher offset. With an aftermarket front knuckle, that'd be the proper offset for use there too.

It's a reasonable idea, just very cost-prohibitive.
[/b]
Yeah- thats what i was thinkin in my head- but of course it would be crazy expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts